ARRAY(0xabdacca8)

This Song Will Save Your Life
by Leila Sales
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Suited to teenagers, 23 Nov 2013
Leila Sales has created an enjoyable story based on a not so enjoyable topic by carefully constructing the plot to tell the story of a troubled teenager.

Elise is a typical teenager however her issues of school and friends go deeper into a dark side of emotions. Sales has cleverly planned out chapter 1 because by the end of it we already have a good idea of what type of character Elise is. We follow her through the book as she tackles problems of school and being alone but most importantly as a person she feels like she can not be herself which i feel the target audience is suitable because as teenagers they can relate to her.

Although it is an enjoyable book, i did have a few problems. Firstly, i found that a few situations within the book aren't very believable, whether that was just my opinion or not i found this kind of put the book down in way of it's realistic views. Secondly, Elise's sister, Alex, who is 7 years-old speaks more maturely for her age as she seems to have a very mature personality. This didn't ruin the book though as it's only a small thing.

The most entertaining event throughout the book was the DJ part because i absolutely loved reading into the technical side and being able to learn at the same time as the character.

Overall an easy read novel, more suited to teenagers.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible packaging, 6 Nov 2013
It came folded up which made the sticker bent and the sticker got stuck to the clear plastic packaging. Was very disappointed, especially after the long wait!!

Briar Rose
Briar Rose
by Jana Oliver
Price: 5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Briar Rose (Paperback)
Another imaginative story from a wonderfully imaginative author!

Briar Rose is a girl who mimics Aurora from the tale `Sleeping Beauty' through falling asleep on her 16th birthday although most of the coincidences stop there as Jana Oliver has created her own take on the tale. There is an array of villains and alliances throughout the novel that keeps the reader entertained and the story alive. My particular favourite being Ruric, whom Briar meets after falling asleep, because Oliver has created him to be a loyal character as well as funny, unique and a proper prince charming to someones princess Aurora.

Oliver has beautifully written her own fairy tale in Briar Rose with detailed descriptions to give a sharp image in the readers mind to make the story come alive. However i have to admit that in some scenarios you can tell what is going to happen before it does, but that's a typical fairy tale for you!

An enjoyable read in a new fairy tale world!

The Soul Seekers: Mystic
The Soul Seekers: Mystic
by Alyson Noel
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 26 Aug 2013
The third book in the Soul Seekers series in my opinion could have been better. I feel that while useful information has been revealed to the reader to carry on to the fourth book, i think that Mystic could have been much improved. I say this because it was quite slow and not as adventurous as I had hoped it to be, with the overall plot being plain and not needed.

However, as always Alyson Noel has created a gripping world, starting with Fated in which i was hooked straight away. I really enjoy the use of the spirit animals within the books, however i feel they lacked appearance in Mystic. I also missed the descriptions of the Lowerworld, Middleworld and Upperworld as Noel seems to have dialed it down after the first two books.

Overall the series so far is intriguing and i will read the fourth book, Horizon, but hopefully Noel will bring more description and adventure to the story to keep readers entertained.

Goddess (Starcrossed 3)
Goddess (Starcrossed 3)
by Josephine Angelini
Price: 3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A great trilogy, 7 Jun 2013
Helen is back in her final battle against the Gods. The ending to the trilogy doesn't disappoint with romance, family, friendship, war, mystery and betrayal. Full of detailed scenes, Josephine Angelini has brought a great trilogy into the world of books.

We follow Helen in her journey and with input from other characters the reader is able to gain detailed description of peoples actions and thoughts, bringing us into the story full of lies and truths. It kept me on edge at times with the need to read more, I fully enjoyed this book and the trilogy overall is one worth reading because Angelini has successfully communicated Greek mythology clearly to bring this world of to life.

Read it, read it, READ IT!

Kite Spirit
Kite Spirit
by Sita Brahmachari
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, easy read, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Kite Spirit (Paperback)
A gentle read about the devastation of losing, finding and understanding.

We follow Kite as she tries to come to terms with the suicide of her best friend Dawn. Going through the stages of grieving, there is plenty of `what if' and `why' for Kite to think about.

I was first introduce to Sita Brahmachari with `Artichoke Hearts', however I didn't actually finish the book because I wasn't fond of her way of writing as it was quite childish and I couldn't engage well with the story. Having said that in this book Brahmachari guides the reader through the delicate process of losing someone, using delicate wording to convey different meanings effectively. I really enjoyed the meaning of the owls, along with many hidden meanings that are there to help keep Dawn alive in spirit and for Kite to cling on to some kind of reality.

A gentle, delicate and easy read. Covering such a sad subject is hard to understand but Brahmachari has tackled it well. Not the best book in the world, but good in its own way.

Wake: Book One in the Watersong Series
Wake: Book One in the Watersong Series
by Amanda Hocking
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet catchy, 8 April 2013
Such a fascinating story... I couldn't put it down!

Amanda Hocking has introduced us into a world of fantasy and mystery and keeps the reader engaged throughout the book by the use of descriptive events and energetic characters. One thing I liked about the novel is how Hocking has written the book in a way to introduce both Gemma and Harper's side to the story, which makes the plot more descriptive and realistic.

Harper is the older sister who looks after Gemma and likes to take responsibility for her that we read about through her protectiveness over her. Gemma is the younger sister who is fit through her swimming and at the start of the book Hocking has given a good description of her love for the water. As the story grows so do the characters. We follow Gemma and Harper learning about them as people, their lives, and futures.

The plot is definitely one to read that can keep you guessing and engaged. I really enjoyed reading this novel and the characters bring excitement, humour and interest to the story to bring it together. A definite must read and have the sequel at the ready!

Unremembered (Jessica Brody Trilogy)
Unremembered (Jessica Brody Trilogy)
by Jessica Brody
Price: 5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunnig - read it!, 24 Feb 2013
A very exciting, energetic novel that kept me engaged throughout.

A definite must read for fans of action, adventure, mystery and secrets, Jessica Brody has captured all these aspects cleverly and expertly to present an unforgettable story that leaves you wanting more and more. The main Character, Sera, is portrayed like a newborn, not knowing much about anything in the modern world, but we soon learn that she's not as fragile as she may seem as we see a strong and confident side to her.

Throughout the book we follow Sera through her difficulties with being an amnesiac and the revelation of secrets that we are as keen to find out as Sera. I admire the way Brody has wrote the book because I found myself asking questions to different revelations, which are then question in the book through Sera. For me this says that Brody has thought about the types of questions readers will be asking, therefore relating to her readers and making the story more realistic.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, as the story is realistic making it bearable and readable. Just wish the next book was out already!

Tempest 2 (Vortex)
Tempest 2 (Vortex)
by Julie Cross
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Tempest 2 (Vortex) (Hardcover)
Definitely an engaging book that will have you wanting more.

We follow Jackson in his new life as a CIA, meeting new characters therefore new personalities that add twists and emotion to the story. Julie Cross has captured the idea of time travel descriptively and I think she is effective in creating a real world. However, I did come across parts in the book that had me a little confused as to what was going on. Whether that was because the story itself was complicated, which maybe Cross intended for it to be this way, or because I just didn't understand properly. Either way, the plot of the story is a fascinating one and this confusion did not ruin it for me at all.

In Vortex we learn a lot of information at the same time as Jackson, so this makes the reader feel involved. It also allows the reader to learn this information and start questioning and guessing what things mean.

One of the main focuses in the book is Jackson's love for Holly. In Tempest we read a bout the start of their relationship and all the struggles that came with being a time traveler. In Vortex, Cross has kept the reader reminded of this throughout the book, making us feel emotions towards Jackson as we feel his hurt. I like how Cross has done this because she was not afraid to create a male character that truthfully describes his emotions, making the reader feel the love he has.

The second book in the series doesn't fail to impress. A definite must read for all time travel, action, adventure, and romance fans.

The Great LIFE Photographers
The Great LIFE Photographers
by The Editors of Life
Price: 11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 30 Nov 2012
Very good book about the photographers' work from the Life Magazine. Had a variety of images from around the world which i found very interesting to look at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4