Profile for Anne-Li > Reviews

From Eroica with Love, Volume 15
From Eroica with Love, Volume 15
by Yasuko Aoike

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 3 Feb. 2011
This whole series is great and that CMX won't come out with new ones is so, so sad! Especially since this last book is one of the best so far.

The end of The Seventh Seal I see as a turning point in the relationship between Klaus and Dorian. Dorian gets an eye-opener of what his involvement in Klaus's missions really means, while Klaus afterwards seems to soften a tiny bit. We also gets to see Klaus do a great stoic wounde who fights on despite his injuries. Then I really enjoy Intermission, in which Klaus haven't miraculously healed the next day, but has to spend time in a hospital (with amusing involvement from everyone betting when he'll escape), which also continues into Eau de Cologne. Very nice.

Amusingly enough, there is also a misprint version of this one, which is highly sought after by collectors.

CMX, rethink this! Give us more! Or someone else, take up this great series! Please!!

Manga: An Anthology of Global and Cultural Perspectives
Manga: An Anthology of Global and Cultural Perspectives
by Toni Johnson-Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 2 Feb. 2011
I mostly bought this one as I heard it mentioned my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I was a little amused to see, of all things, it used as an example of onomatopoeia, but it was also listed as suggested reading, so that was nice. Other than that I'm not very knowledgeable about the topics discussed, but I felt I was able to follow them and I think I learned something. The index seems not always quite correct.

Warrior Lovers: Erotic Fiction, Evolution and Female Sexuality (Darwinism Today)
by Catherine Salmon

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 1 Feb. 2011
This was gift from a friend, a fellow fan of my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love, which is mentioned in the book. While I don't recognize everything in it and feel that some parts is a bit limited, I still found it an interesting read.

Fanning the Flames: Fans and Consumer Culture in Contemporary Japan (SUNY Series in Japan in Transition)
by William W. Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 31 Jan. 2011
I mostly bought this book because I heard it mentioned my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I don't know much about fandom in Japan and I overall found it very interesting, a good read and I felt I learned a lot. I can't judge the content much apart from that I enjoyed reading it - the part about Eroica seems correct, though.

Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture (Studies in Culture and Communication)
by Henry Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, good read, 28 Jan. 2011
I've been meaning to read this classic book for a long time, though it was only when I learned that it mentioned my favourite fandom, From Eroica With Love, that I finally gave in and did so. I enjoyed the book a lot! It is very interesting, I felt I learned things and it is written in an easy way. English isn't my native language and non-fiction can sometimes be a bit difficult for me, but I never felt that way when reading this book. What little I know the facts seems to be correct. And the bits about From Eroica With Love was very good. Overall a very good read and I'm glad I read it. Dated, yes, it's from 92, so I would love a newer version, but it describes things up to then very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat in its own way, 27 Jan. 2011
From Eroica With Love is my favourite manga. To find a book about it in English was a real treat. Of course, a wiki book is a bit different in my mind from a normal book, but it was still fun. I have a couple of wiki books, all with From Eroica With Love connection (I collect and I'm easy with stuff like that). Most often they are too expensive for what you get. Sadly, this one is too. It's nice to have, for a collector like myself, and a bit neat to have off-line, but for it to be of much "use" I would have liked to see far more subjects, covering more subjects touched by the series itself, etceteras. Also, the subjects contained in this book feels just a hint "easily selected". I mean, most of the subjects, yeah, but Parody? From Russia With Love? James Bond? The connection is there, fine, but really, it is very faint ... For it to be worth the money I would have liked for it to be far thicker, just overall "more". Still, a book about From Eroica With Love is neat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 25 Jan. 2011
I have two of these, covering almost the same topics. I bought them mostly as they contains information from my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I can't say they are worth the price, but the concept is interesting and they are what they say they are. Nice to have off-line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 24 Jan. 2011
This was the first wiki-book I saw. I bought it mostly as it contains information from my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I can't say it is worth the price, but the concept is interesting and it is what it says it is. Nice to have off-line.

The Essential Guide to World Comics
The Essential Guide to World Comics
by Tim Pilcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, very interesting, 21 Jan. 2011
I mostly bought this book as I heard it contains information about my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I'm glad I did, though, as I found it all very interesting, with plenty of information of lots of things I enjoyed reading and learning about. I'm not very knowledgeable in the field, but the things I do know sounded about right. However, as the author joked (or so I assume, though it wasn't very funny) about the way the main character in From Eroica With Love dresses, that does make me a bit concerned if there are other jokes I'm missing. However, nice with glossy pages and so on, so I will give it a fairly high rating anyway.

Manga the Complete Guide
Manga the Complete Guide
by Jason Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, 19 Jan. 2011
I mostly bought this book because I saw it contained information about my favourite manga, From Eroica With Love. I was very pleasantly surprised, though, as the book has lots of very interesting information and is fun to read. The part about From Eroica With Love is great. Well researched, compact yet full of good description. I've read other guides and they too often manage to get something wrong, but this was very good. I can't tell much about the other mangas, as I'm only into a very few mangas. The ones I know looks good anyway. A book to keep.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3