Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul (Yorkshire)

Pro Breeze 500ml Compact and Portable Mini Air Dehumidifier for Damp, Mould, Moisture in Home, Kitchen, Bedroom, Caravan, Office, Garage
Offered by The Body Source

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Jan. 2016
Simple to use, extremely quiet, and does the job very well indeed.

Man On The Rocks
Man On The Rocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much from the "instrumentals" disc, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
The album itself is fine - nice melodies etc. Not his best, but certainly a decent album. I'd give that 4 stars. However, the reason I bought the deluxe rather than standard edition is a complete disappointment.

With Mike Oldfield being one of the most inventive instrumentalists of our times I expected different versions of the songs. What I actually got was a CD of backing tracks - pretty lazy in my opinion and a pretty cheap way to get extra money out of the fans...........

Gravity
Gravity
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst film I have ever seen, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Amazon Video)
Saw this at the cinema. I'm must be missing something because I thought it was a dreadful piece of tosh. The acting from both is among the worst and most overblown I have ever seen. The plot is slow, boring and repetitive. I was so glad when it got to the end.

All in all, this was the first film that I have ever seriously considered leaving before the end. The only saving grace in the whole debacle is the view at the beginning, which is quite amazing.

Only given one star because I can't give it none!

Wait until it comes on telly, watch the first 5 minutes then turn it off and watch something worth your attention!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 3:06 AM GMT

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster with Ethernet Port for Wired Device (WPS Function/Easy Configuration)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Bt Home Hub and can't understand support, 10 Jun. 2013
After spending about an hour setting up and resetting the device (both methods) because every time I connect to it I lost internet connection, I gave up and rang support. The gent I spoke to was, to be fair, helpful to a point. The trouble is, once he realised that I was connected with a BT home hub he advised that they have had real problems with BT home hubs (so why no mention of this in their blurb?) , and that I should upgrade to the latest firmware to see if that made any difference (but it most likely wouldn't). Filled with confidence, I upgraded (easy process) but to no avail - and that's when the problems really started. I've just come off the phone after over 45 minutes - at least half of which was taken up with me asking the Chinese lady on the other end to repeat what she'd said as I couldn't understand it, and I'm no further forward. Her only method of support seemed to be talking me through the same thing over and over again in the vain hope that one time it would work. Oh, and interspersing with requests to reboot my laptop, the TP-link device, and my router. Absolutely disgusting experience.

Needless to say this device is being returned, and if this is the quality of their support then I'm not touching any of their products ever again!

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel in the crown of the "real Queen of England", 2 Aug. 2007
Definitely one of the best albums that Elton and Bernie have ever done. This was the first really cohesive album, though it covered a fantastic range of styles so well that most other artists couldn't even come close to the breadth of this album. From the out and out prog rock of "Funeral For A Friend" to the absolutely beautiful closing ballad "Harmony", you feel as if you are going on a journey with Elton, Bernie and the band. And this line up was without doubt the best band that Elton has ever had behind him. The rhythm section of Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson was truly magical, and suited Elton's music so well. Not to mention Davey Johnstone who is still an Elton John fixture.

Basically, there are so many truly classic songs on here, that to single out one or two would be just plain wrong. Yes, the album has it's weaker tracks (All The Young Girls Love Alice being a good example),but the quality of the other songs more than makes up. Even though this album is now more than 30 years old, it puts a lot of others made in the meantime to shame - in such ways as lyrics, songwriting craft, and musicianship.

To my way of thinking, this album was only bettered by Elton et al once - on the absolutely sublime masterpice that is Captain Fantastic.

All Mod Cons
All Mod Cons
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars The tastiest jam, 21 May 2005
This review is from: All Mod Cons (Audio CD)
This is the album that made The Jam the icons that they were ( are? )- They were always more than just Mr. Weller and the sum of all the parts was always better than just the front man ( good as he was/is ).
From the sublime beauty of English Rose through the angst of David Watts and the realism of Down In the Tube station At Midnight, the Jam portrayed the world as they saw it.
This was the genesis of all future Jam albums ( the bassline of To Be Someone being a prime example! )
A great band at their creative peak, this album showcases the talents of all three members.
Buy without hesitaion and be assured that you won't be left feeling short changed.

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 15 May 2005
Having been a big Elton fan for as long as I can remember ( I grew up listening to Elton courtsey of my oldest brother who bought each album as it came out ), this is by far my favourite from an exceptional catalogue. I was 10 when this came out, but was instantly smitten from the first time I heard this.
Every song on this album is an absolute gem from the opening guitar riff of the title track right through to the repeated vocals of Curtains. Thirty years later, still, whenever I put the CD on I just HAVE to listen to the whole thing - the remarkable tunes and lyrics just make you want to shut everything else out and listen - and not stop listening until it's finished!
Both Elton and Bernie Taupin were at the height or their powers on this album - Elton's ability to match the music to the lyrics was never better showcased than here. Maybe it's because they were both writing about their path to fame and glory. Whatever, never has a record been so personal, yet so accessible to the wider audience.
In my opinion, they never bettered this album.They have come very close several times ( most noticably on "2 low 4 Zero" , " The One" and "Songs From The West Coast" ), but they have yet to conquer these dizzying heights again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2013 9:44 AM BST