Profile for Gazzoowazzoo > Reviews

Gazzoowazzoo (Kent)

I, Gemini
I, Gemini

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut album, 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: I, Gemini (Audio CD)
Could this be the emergence of the country's best female artists since Kate Bush? A bold, probably outrageous, claim from me so early on when you think of who is out there. But just listen to these tracks yourself to form a view. Previous reviewers have well used a range of adjectives to describe the music, vocals and lyrics. For me, I just love the constant sinister undertones beneath the whimsy. Some tracks though are explicitly sinister. Sleep Song is an unbridalled journey into the nightmare realm. Overall, marvellous, creative stuff and what a fantastic debut.

Bruce Soord
Bruce Soord

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 27 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Bruce Soord (Audio CD)
Without question Bruce Soord is a premier song writer as this release shows. This solo album allows for a musical departure from the Pineapple Thief formula and it is just as compelling to listen to. The initial tracks pull you in, with Buried Here being a particular highlight. Songs range from melancholic, introspective, joyful, anthemic. All within 40 minutes.
Get this, lie back, close your eyes and go on a musical journey.

LEGO Dimensions: Starter Pack (PS4)
LEGO Dimensions: Starter Pack (PS4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Lego fans, 4 Oct. 2015
Yes the game is expensive but once you start playing you can begin to understand why. There are many licences involved with the making of this and more importantly the Portal is more "involving" than other standard game portals.
We (8 yo son and me) are about halfway through the levels and visited a number of other lands so I feel in a good place to give at least a reasonable opinion. For fanboys and fan girls out there there are so many aspects which will please. Some of the cutscenes have made me smile often. As for the Doctor Who level with the Weeping Angels part- it is fantastic! I want a Lego Weeping Angel ;-). The purist may pull a face at seeing, for example, Batman visiting Middle Earth, but for those who love a real mash up Lego Dimensions is gaming heaven. Besides, didn't the Lego Movie promote the whole theme of mixing up Lego :-).
When first playing be prepared for a 5 gb update and be patient with some of the Lego building. Instructions will appear on screen at appropriate times.
The only reason this is 4 stars rather than 5 is that I have encountered some game crashes and at times some of the portal puzzles have been obtuse I believe. There is so much to do and visit in the game just with the starter pack alone. I do not think there is a 100% completion therefore it is entirely up to the player as to whether they would wish to get additional packs to unlock other aspects of the game.

Update: having completed the game I just wanted to make some further observations.
The scale and imagination that has gone into this game is astounding. Without too many spoilers,the gameplay varies from the usual Lego formula on levels such as Midway Arcade and the Scooby Doo ones. So refreshing and so nostalgic ;-). Adults will enjoy this as much as the kids.
I'm still getting the odd game crash and the use of the game portal is a bit OTT but otherwise this game is a great addition. I still remain with 4 stars though.

Night After Night
Night After Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Bother, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Night After Night (Kindle Edition)
You should be bothered to take the time out to read this. After a slow, gradual build up the story suddenly picks up the pace. And boy does the pace accelerate, to the extent where it becomes difficult to put down. A great "ghost story" ideal for this time in late autumn into the winter. Well done Phil, you didn't disappoint.

Three Sides Live [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Three Sides Live [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Genesis
Offered by MMRSALES

4.0 out of 5 stars And then there were 3 Sides Live, 5 Nov. 2014
The footage is exactly the same as the original VHS release. The 4:3 aspect was a surprise initially but at times you get so sucked into what's going on you forget the black bars on either side of the telly. Enough comment has already been made over the editing of the documentary into the concert footage so not going to cover that here.
The highlight of the disc is In the Cage/Afterglow showing Genesis at their best. Most of these songs are left untouched. Another highlight was seeing Mike Rutherford "playing" drums on Whodunnit! God, I'd forgotten that. Mind you when I saw Genesis at Wembley in December 81 I was so far back the band were tiny stick figures and all I could appreciate was the sound and light show!
Some of the band's interviews are insightful and to me give more than the recent documentary.
The blu Ray comes with some complete audio tracks and sound great.
To sum up, it's a pity more of the concert isn't shown in this release but for Genesis fans this is still essential viewing.

Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)
Formula One Championship Edition (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars For me, the pleasure of this game is being ..., 20 July 2014
For me, the pleasure of this game is being able to race on some of the different circuits that no longer feature in Codemasters games, particularly the classic Silverstone layout. The game does not support trophies but that does not matter as in play terms this is a particularly enjoyable game.

Distant Satellites
Distant Satellites

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Flexible, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
Perhaps it is because I have been listening to Anathema for the last 2 years, the slight change in musical direction (and come on it is slight) doesn't jar with me as it does with others. A band needs to evolve/experiment otherwise surely there would be no challenge or satisfaction to the band. Also, It can lead to greater results in the long run. Yes, Weather Systems is brilliant, but do we really want to listen to a re-hashed version of it? Let's move on! There are tracks on Distant Satellites that sound similar to WS so fine enjoy those to bring back the stirring emotions you had before. But be flexible with the more "modern" tracks because at their heart they are pure Anathema. For me, there is not a track on here that is sub standard and I welcome being able to listen to something different.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 12:08 PM BST

The Neighbour
The Neighbour

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghost story, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Neighbour (Kindle Edition)
A little gem of a story, with again Dean whetting the appetite for the release of his next novel. Dean's writing style here is reminiscent of Stephen King and Richard Laymon, but without Laymon's explicitness. One can connect immediately with the 2 main characters which is just as well since the story is short. Worth buying, whilst you wait for the release of The City.

Wilderness: A short story (Kindle Single)
Wilderness: A short story (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars An extended prologue, 31 Oct. 2013
This feels more like an extended prologue to Innocence rather than a novella in its own right. One cannot of course assume how Innocence will start and to what degree Addison Goodheart's past is explored over the forthcoming novel. So enjoy it for what it is - a brief introduction to Addison and the peril he faces when 8 yrs old. Some of Dean's narrative trickery will be immediately familiar to his fan base.
Anyway, there's enough here to whet your appetite for Innocence. It's only 99p so go on buy it!

BioShock Infinite (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 16 May 2013
I hate FPS's.Let's get that out in the open first.The thought of playing COD leaves me cold....but,but...I'd seen so many good reviews of Bioshock Infinite I thought I'd give it a go.So putting my normal prejudice aside I paid out for a copy. And do you know what?I love it.i think the opening scenes up to the temple in Columbia are the best I've seen and heard in a video game.Great sound,great vision.The game does tend to be clear all the goons,move on,clear all the goons,move on but these moments are mixed in with an intriguing narrative.You want to know what is behind the facade of Columbia and who Elizabeth is.It is a relatively short journey to the climax of the story but it is one you want to reach.I can't wait for the future DLC releases to get more of my fix of Columbia.So I love Bioshock Infinite but it still hasn't made me start to like FPS'S generally.