Profile for Silentg > Reviews

Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists
Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists
Price: 4.36

4.0 out of 5 stars The Author's story and a road map., 14 Jan 2014
I confess to reading and enjoying the minimalist blog. I'm not one of their regular readers (haven't read anything on their site for over six months) but i do enjoy their engaging writing style. I enjoyed this book and as another reviewer has said, having Ryan chirp in when Joshua (who the book is about) gets too serious was a healthy balance that made the book enjoyable.

I guess as i'm not a regular visitor of their blog i can't comment on the book containing stuff I already knew as a lot of it was new to me and an interesting read. Many people tell you they walked away from a high paying job, The author gives you the detail and the aftermath of what he did. A roadmap really for anyone considering taking the same path.

Company (Vintage Contemporaries)
Company (Vintage Contemporaries)
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Funny, 7 Jan 2014
From page two I was laughing. The book is well written and funny, it takes small office politics you find in the workplace and exaggerates them in an amusing way. I was gripped to the end, I couldn't put it down.

Knockemstiff
Knockemstiff
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark underbelly that grips you, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Knockemstiff (Kindle Edition)
Some of the stories made me look away from the page as the stories are so well written, you start empathising with characters who can be so violent in nature that you were hoping for a better outcome. A very well written book that makes it hard to put down even when some of the story can make you wish such a world doesn't exist, but it does and you are along for the ride. Great writing, can't believe it's his first book.

All My Friends are Superheroes
All My Friends are Superheroes
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable quick read, 7 Jan 2014
I enjoyed reading this book, the Author tried being a bit different with his approach for what is really a romance novel and it was entertaining to me. It is also a quick read that fits in with the concept. Fun and enjoyable read.

To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Persuading, Convincing, and Influencing Others
Price: 2.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, well researched, 7 Jan 2014
There was a lot in this book I didn't know and that it testament to the research that went into the book. Lots of good resources that will mean further reading, however I haven't read a non-fiction book yet (and never expect to) that has everything in it on that topic.
The book informs, teaches and provides a path (sources) to further learning on the topic of persuasion.

Oblivion: Stories
Oblivion: Stories
Price: 4.35

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and depressing stories, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oblivion: Stories (Kindle Edition)
I've read reviews like - "a book for intelligent readers", they make me laugh. I know Wallace committed suicide so no need to go into a lengthy trashing of the book. It is targetted at a specific type of reader, I can only compare reading it, to my studying of textbooks on Advanced Statistics. After a while I felt drained and there wasn't any enjoyment. As soon as i got interested in a character i would endure pages of complete technical detail. After reading most of thestories, all very depressing to boot, I moved on.

The Jordan Rules: The Inside Story of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls
The Jordan Rules: The Inside Story of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Begrudgingly four star rating, 6 Jan 2014
Sam Smith blatantly used Jordan's name to sell this book. I'm an MJ fanboy. However this book is about the Chicago Bulls (who I also liked during that era so didn't mind). Sam Smith knows what the books about and in the foreword sounds almost apologetic for using Jordan's name in the title as his cheap marketing ploy. It still gets four stars as it is well written, gives a good insight and account of the team which seems to be a neutral view and it had me engrossed that I couldn't put it down.

The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment
Price: 3.62

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, ignore the title, 6 Jan 2014
The title is meant to catch the reader, so I'll give the author a break, no harm in good marketing. This isn't the only grammar book you'll ever need, but it's a very good one to keep in your collection.

Oh, The Places You'll Go!: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss - Yellow Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Yellow Back Books)
by Dr. Seuss
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids love it, the adults can learn from it., 6 Jan 2014
I've read this book to my kids at different times as they really like the book. As an adult you understand the message, it's about life and the trials and tribulations you come across. I've noticed there currently appears to be two types of kids books in my household:

1) The book I read, it goes on the shelf, it never gets seen again.
2) The book I read, it turns up in my kids hands on a regular basis with a request to read it and at bedtime again.

This book is firmly in the number two category and that warrants four stars. The fact I enjoy reading it (which can't be said for many of the books they love) definitely justifies the five stars.

Days After the Crash
Days After the Crash
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written just not my taste, 6 Jan 2014
For transparency - I'm an occassional reader of theminimalist blog, more than that, I actually do enjoy Josh's blog writing and follow him on twitter.

Now that's cleared up, the story ios well written and the characters sounded interesting, I Just found I couldn't get into the story. The writng style slowed me down and I found it left me disconnectted from the characters. I would recommend downloading a sample as I think my lack of enjoyment was more my personal taste than a refection of Josh's writing, since I find his blogs engaging.

Page: 1 | 2