Profile for J. Roycroft > Reviews

Content by J. Roycroft

J. Roycroft "Sci Fi Fan" (Dublin, Ireland)

1635: The Dreeson Incident (Ring of Fire)
1635: The Dreeson Incident (Ring of Fire)
Price: 6.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh so humdrum, 13 Dec 2010
This is not the Eric Flint that we have come to know and love. While the book is interesting in parts it does not follow the well trodden path of action and fertile imagination that so many other books in the series demonstrate. I enjoyed it up to a point but could put it down and forget about it. In essence this book delves in depth into the detail of daily Grantville life with really very little in the way of action and the almost casual disposal/termination of the poor Mayor. I guess this very slow pace is down to the influence of Virginia DeMarce. Would not recommend the book.

1634: The Ram Rebellion (The Ring of Fire)
1634: The Ram Rebellion (The Ring of Fire)
Edition: Library Binding

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure Drudgery, 20 Sep 2010
Dire, simply dire. I waded through this book, hoping against hope that I would find something to engage me. No such luck. Perseverance is all very fine and Lord knows I persevered but I could have spent my time much more enjoyably reading other books by Eric Flint or virtually any other author. It seems to me that what has drawn people to this series is the wonderful underlying premise, which offers so many different possibilities, including the eternally appealing story of the underdog fighting and sometimes triumphing against the odds, the clash of ideas and ideologies, religion versus individual freedom and a cast of intriguing characters to name but a few. And, of course, the Action Eric, the Action! I think most of us like some action Eric and in the turbulent history of 17th century Europe where you pitch your novels surely this should be possible?. Please do not collaborate with Virginia again. She is better suited to non-fiction I suspect and if I have to wade through much more of this turgid stuff, wasting time and money, i will simply stop buying the series. Life is short. This book ain't!

Grantville Gazette IV: 4 (Ring of Fire)
Grantville Gazette IV: 4 (Ring of Fire)
Price: 5.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and duller, 20 Sep 2010
It would seem that the Gazette series is getting more dull with each new publication. Yes it is "interesting" up to a point but it not military sci-fi as it lacks any military action. Some of the material in the Gazette series has been very interesting and enjoyable at times especially where it involves the main characters or the main themes of the primary series. And, I admit, up to a point the detailing of how stock markets etc might work in the new dispensation has an interest but only when mixed with stories with a bit more action and bite. Can we mix and match a bit more please?

The Last Centurion
The Last Centurion
by John Ringo

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awful, 10 Dec 2009
I have read and enjoyed many John Ringo books. However, this is simply one of the worst book I have ever read. In fact I was reduced to scanning the book as it was so bad. It masquerades as a "blog" style book. It doesn't suceed. Dreadful, appalling, a waste of money. Massively self indulgent dross with force fed and crude political opinions delivered to the suffering reader. For those who have read other Ringo books you will know that the author does not hide his rather limited political opinions which appear to rest firmly on a bed of similarly limited emotions. However, this can be endured as he usually serves up a good story with enough action to allow the reader to forgive or ignore the foibles of the author. This is the first book I have ever thrown in the bin - literally. Don't worry John - I recycled the book. At least it wasn't a total ecological waste. Both the author and the publisher should be ashamed. Utter rubbish. Please steer clear.