Profile for Richard Bogle > Reviews

Content by Richard Bogle

Richard Bogle "Richard" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
iOS 7 in Action
iOS 7 in Action
by Brendan G. Lim

5.0 out of 5 stars Walkthroughs that cement practical learning, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: iOS 7 in Action (Paperback)
This text really requires that you open up Xcode and work through the examples with the authors. This isn't a quick dip into trite examples but much closer to real world applications so you are gaining practical insights at every step. The chapters build in a logical progression so you can develop your knowledge as you develop the example applications. Also, the workflow they present, and usefully comment upon, would probably serve you well for your first app development cycle.

I started with no knowledge of Objective-C and the book doesn't help you out there but with any C-like language in your repertoire you will be fine to follow along. Without any prior knowledge of iOS I found the occasional comparisons of how things had changed between the versions very useful for gaining an insight into the current framework's capabilities. The additional chapters on AirPlay and push notifications were particularly interesting and really made me want to write an app right now!

Declaration of Interest: I was given a review copy by the publishers. Thanks, Manning!

Draper 69924 Tyre Pressure Gauge with Flexible Hose
Draper 69924 Tyre Pressure Gauge with Flexible Hose

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality and ease of use, 20 May 2014
After years of substandard pen style pressure gauges I finally bought this Draper gauge and I'm wishing I'd done it years ago. Really useful for the high pressures in my van tyres, easy to take a reading and a very clear display.

BESTEK 200W watt DC 12V to AC 230V inverter Car Power Inverter MRI2013U
BESTEK 200W watt DC 12V to AC 230V inverter Car Power Inverter MRI2013U
Offered by AnythingJust4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop charger for campervan, 20 May 2014
The relatively high wattage lets me charge my laptop, and other devices, really quickly. Works off the car battery when I'm driving and off the leisure batteries when parked up. Its fan isn't that quiet but I use it for charging rather than sitting with it on all the time so it's less of an issue.

iZKA® - 360' Rotate In-Car Windscreen Or Dash-mount Suction Holder Mount For Motorola Moto G - Also Works With Motorola Moto X
Offered by iBox Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Windscreen mount, 20 May 2014
This is great as a windscreen mount and if it claimed to be just that I'd give it five stars but it doesn't work as a suction mount on my dashboard, a VW T32 van, so it loses a star. Also, not Moto G specific as it fouls the volume rocker and needs careful positioning. But it does work!

3 LARGE BREATHABLE DUVET STORAGE BAGS - Also great as a Laundry Sack or for Bedding Storage - LIGHT BLUE
Offered by Hangerworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and large, 20 May 2014
I can fit a king size duvet, two decent pillows and all in the sheets into one of these. I use it for packaging bedding for a campervan and it's proved reasonably durable in daily use.

Euro 2 Pin to 3 Pin Converter Plug / Adapter - Black
Euro 2 Pin to 3 Pin Converter Plug / Adapter - Black
Offered by cheap4uk(From hongkong,2-3 weeks delivery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple conversion, 20 May 2014
I like the solid connection this adapter makes and the fact that it hides the guts of it in something not much larger than a regular plug.

iTALKonline PowerPlus 1000 mAh High Quality MicroUSB Micro USB Coiled Tangle Proof In Car Charger with LED Indicator and Overload Protection For Motorola Moto G 4G (2013)
Offered by DIY Looks

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid device, 20 May 2014
I'm using this daily to power a smartphone GPS and it's working perfectly. Good build quality, too, given the price.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Charge every 10 days!, 27 Nov 2013
I don't even check the battery meter any more. This is perfect for making sure you can always make a call or send a text.

The con would be the sound quality. There's no volume control or much other voice processing in evidence so it can be really hard to hear the occasional call from someone who's calling from a loud or echoey location. Personally I just ask them to speak up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 1:21 PM GMT

Logitech H800 Wireless Headset for PC and Mac
Logitech H800 Wireless Headset for PC and Mac
Offered by Fuzzy Peaches UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Open office killer, 27 Nov 2013
BBC 6 Music streaming over the office network and no tangling wires. Drown out everyone else's phone calls and chatter. In comfort.

The nano-USB adapter is very neat and has a little home in the left 'phone's housing, also very neat. That they fold up is perfect as I cycle to and from the site every day. Good sound, easy access to the controls and light enough that you don't notice them without finding them insubstantial.

Nice headset for Skype calls from the home office, too, and the microphone isn't noticeable at all when folded away.

Doxie Go - Rechargeable A4 Paper Scanner
Doxie Go - Rechargeable A4 Paper Scanner
Offered by Apparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Very neat product and excellent software, 7 Jun 2012
The device works well. It's small so we can leave it on the kitchen table and scan the mail as it comes in. Whenever we have a moment we can plug it in to any machine and pull down all the scans (shared folder in Dropbox). The OCR makes the PDFs searchable and I particularly like the staple feature (combine scanned pages into a single PDF). I can't fault it.

But I wouldn't bother with the Eye-Fi for wifi. You can only connect to a single machine, you can't use 5MHz on your network and I had to turn off QoS. The software for the Doxie is excellent but the Eye-Fi's is terrible.

Page: 1 | 2