Profile for smileymummy > Reviews

smileymummy (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Megcos Tool Bench Toy -Affordable Gift for your Little One! Item #LMID-1275
Megcos Tool Bench Toy -Affordable Gift for your Little One! Item #LMID-1275

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for any toddler who likes bashing things!, 26 Dec 2013
Mine is a bit of a scientist - he likes to see what things can do and how far he can push them! Oddly, although being entirely made of plastic, this is still a sturdy toy. The screws are nice and big and the tools easy for little hands to use. the drill can be slightly noisy but nothing to make me think again. I bought this quite a while ago and it's still going strong (although we are now missing some parts due to the aforementioned bashing!).

Little Helper Original FunStation Wooden Toddler Table & Chair Set with pen/brush pot(Maple/Natural) 12months+

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, sturdy, toddler-sized - perfect!, 26 Dec 2013
I really want to compliment the manufacturers/ designers for this. I had in mind what I wanted as a table and chair and spent a while looking - a lot of these are either made of plastic (not sturdy) or not well-designed. I bought this in the summer of 2012 and it's still going very strong. I suspect it will take him into his first 2 years at school, too. So easy to assemble, nothing to catch on, the sides are smooth, and the wood is nice and heavy so little hands don't find it too easy to move about! I can't remember, now, how much I paid for it, but I can tell you it was worth every penny.

Octonauts Octopod Playset
Octonauts Octopod Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but not sure it's worth it, even on sale, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Octonauts Octopod Playset (Toy)
My little one is an Octonaut through and through - he has DVDs, some of the gups and toys and will quite happily sit through one episode over and over unless I turn off the television at the plug! So when I saw this, I thought it the best Christmas present I could think of, and my little one is fine with it. I suspect, however, that he will soon discard this. It's not quite the quality I thought it was - there is a trap door, and a separate large octoalert button, which comes with all the great catchphrases. However, the Barnacles and Peso toys that come with it have heavy heads so they often either fall down or don't stand up properly. The pod itself is very 'plasticky' with drawn on monitors/ bedrooms but there really isn't much else to it. In hindsight, had I seen this in a shop, I would have picked it up, thought about it, and put it back again - you take a gamble when you buy online without seeing something, I guess. If this were around the £25.00 mark I might have given this extra stars.

Octonauts Gup-B Kwazii
Octonauts Gup-B Kwazii
Offered by International Wholesale (shipping from U.S.A.)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fine but not outstanding, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Octonauts Gup-B Kwazii (Toy)
No complaints re delivery but the product itself was not quite what I thought it was going to be. It is of decent size, a red more than orange. Unfortunately, Kwazii doesn't click into place when sitting in the Gup so my little one plays with it and the figure moves about quite a lot which he finds a bit frustrating. The shark is a good addition however the loop doesn't fit round it very well, which means my toddler can't drag it around the way he wants to. It also makes quite the squeak when it's wheeled around the floor. I'm not sure I'd recommend this in hindsight but it is okay as a little reward (though I'd pick something cheaper for that!).

Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by darrin1471

5.0 out of 5 stars In a league of its own., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love this take on Sherlock Holmes. We actually clapped at the end of the first episode (we are not a clapping sort of household!). Everyone is well cast, the writing is brilliant and for once, you never see the end coming! So many dramas follow standard protocols but I think this one is way out there on its own. It deserves all of the awards it gets and I cannot wait for the third series.

Silver Linings Playbook
Silver Linings Playbook

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting, 23 April 2013
I think the hype around the film has impacted on my own expectations of what the book would be about, which is a shame. The actual story is quite unusual and original, with quite a range of emotions detailed throughout. Unfortunately, I didn't go on the same 'journey' as other reviewers and I actually felt the references about American Football were a little distracting from the tale - it seemed over played somehow (no pun intended!).

What I did enjoy were the relationships between characters and the internal thoughts of the main character. I would have liked to have seen the author explore the relationship between the brothers a little more. I wasn't sure whether this was an exploration of mental anguish or a love story and felt at times it was torn between juggling the two.

Whilst it isn't the best book I've ever read, nor laugh out loud as the blurb suggests, it was an accessible read and for that I think it deserves an okay rating.

It's Your Time You're Wasting: A Teacher's Tales of Classroom Hell
It's Your Time You're Wasting: A Teacher's Tales of Classroom Hell

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest and Very, Very Real, 17 Sep 2012
The author is extremely witty and humorous in his writing and the topic is fairly controversial as teaching is always billed as a vocation and as such, teachers often feel they aren't allowed to voice the reality.

I will say this book truly affected me, however its underlying tone and the reality is what did this. I haven't yet a child of school age but I do live in a city and was already deeply concerned about the sad state of education in the UK before reading this. Now, I'm terrified!

I'm also an employer of graduates and am already noticing a sharp decline in these individuals being able to write, spell and so on. What 'Frank' writes about has been slowly building up for years. This book highlights the need to really get to the basics early and that parents need to step up. I found myself profoundly moved ands helpless, all at the same time, when reading about each pupil. The book gets you het up and wanting to do something about it, too, even if it's in some small way!

I can't computer - a compilation of epic user fails
I can't computer - a compilation of epic user fails

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Sep 2012
I was oping for a really humorous take on potentially a hugely funny topic but this is a serious let down. I found only a couple of the examples midly funny but mostly, I found it bitter and the author disdainful of the people he came across and therefore there is no rapport with the reader. A great pity and money wasted!

Toddler Taming Tips: A Parent's Guide to the First Four Years - Pocket Edition
Toddler Taming Tips: A Parent's Guide to the First Four Years - Pocket Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read especially if you have little time on your hands, 15 Jun 2012
I have the book at home but this version is a little shorter and was quite useful in that regard. I might not agree with everything Green talks about however I understand he needs to cater for all kinds of parenting and that as a parent, it's up to you to decide which technique you go with and what might work for you.

Possibly the biggest message I got from this was the general underlying message of gaining understanding of what it must be like to be a toddler. I must admit I had never really thought about it from this point of view and it does help to have this when your child performs an Oscar winning tantrum!

None of these toddler parenting books are going to give you the answers to the meaning of life, but what they will do is potentially open your eyes to some aspect you may not previously have thought of and this book definitely did this for me.

Confessions of a GP (The Confessions Series)
Confessions of a GP (The Confessions Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Too True, 15 Jun 2012
This book is a collection of short chapters on particular aspects of this real GP's time working as a doctor. It is remarkably honest and in places, very funny (I actually burst out laughing on the train whilst reading one chapter)but there are one or two chapters that make you realise it's not all a laugh a minute. The GP clearly enjoys his work and it is a pleasure to hear the real truth behind what your doctor might be thinking. It's certainly helped me tailor my visits a little more closely!

Page: 1 | 2