Profile for K. J. Kilburn > Reviews

Content by K. J. Kilburn

K. J. Kilburn (Derbyshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gardening with Ferns
Gardening with Ferns
by Martin Rickard

4.0 out of 5 stars Ferns In colour, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Gardening with Ferns (Paperback)
Where Barbara Joe Hoshizaki's book on ferns lacks in the way of colour illustrations, Martin Rickard's book scores points. His knowledge of ferns and fern growing in the UK is especially useful. It still doesn't quite answer all my 'need to knows' as a new fern gardener, as the colour illustrations show only a limited selection are rather small. There seems to be hundreds of very similar fern varieties that I still find confusing...but I'm getting there.

Fern Grower's Manual
Fern Grower's Manual
by Barbara Joe Hoshizaki

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to ferns, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Fern Grower's Manual (Paperback)
I have loved ferns since first 'discovering' them in the wild some 40yrs ago but I could quite put my finger on why until a recent conversation with an astronomy friend; of course, they appeal to my interest in fractal geometry and the beautiful complexity of natural plant forms. But I still found them difficult; to me, individually they all looked alike! This book has helped me to appreciate the different forms that this fascinating phylum can take. I'm now beginning to appreciate ferns better and prompted by this book have started a modest collection of about two dozen varieties. The diagrams are excellent and have certainly assisted my understanding of ferns and how to grow them. My only criticism is that the illustrations are not in colour.

Cheddleton: A Village History
Cheddleton: A Village History
by Robert Milner

5.0 out of 5 stars My recently adopted home, 29 Jan. 2014
Having moved to Cheddleton in 2012 and with a great affection for the Staffordshire Moorlands (I'm still driving around grinning like a Cheshire cat), I wanted to learn more about the place. This little book has been a great read and an inspiration to discover more about local history.

Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars: Reading the Lines in Stellar Spectra (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
by Keith Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 29 Jan. 2014
Not exactly bed-time reading but certainly deserving of a place in my library and recommended to anyone requiring a thorough grounding in astronomical spectroscopy.

Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
by Ken M. Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 29 Jan. 2014
Having only tinkered with astronomical spectroscopy I found this book of immediate practical interest. It's technically tough going but written by an expert.

The Hatfield Lunar Atlas: Digitally Re-Mastered Edition
The Hatfield Lunar Atlas: Digitally Re-Mastered Edition
by Anthony Charles Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite lunar atlas, 29 Jan. 2014
Having bought the first edition in 1968, and the re-print edited by Jeremy Cook in 1999, the Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas is still my favourite and the one that I regularly recommend to anyone wanting to find their way around the moon. The latest edition is a welcome addition to my moon library. The digitally remastered images are excellent and the notes on lunar observing techniques by Tony Cook are clear, concise and a useful expansion of the earlier editions. However I still prefer the original when I'm observing at the telescope.

It Came from Outer Space Wearing an RAF Blazer!: A Fan's Biography of Sir Patrick Moore
by Martin Mobberley

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Moore, warts n all., 29 Jan. 2014
Martin Mobberley has done a superb job in researching and writing this book. Patrick was no saint but this book is true to his memory as a warm, generous man and a superb communicator. Perhaps published a bit too close in time following Patrick's death in December 2012 to be a definitive biography but certainly describes the Patrick Moore that I knew as an astronomer and socially over 45 years. A later edition could perhaps be better edited to tighten the narrative and avoid many repetitions.

Write Tight: Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power
Write Tight: Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power
by William Brohaugh

5.0 out of 5 stars We should all aspire to this, 29 Jan. 2014
I first read this book, borrowed from my local public library, about 15 years ago. Re-reading it has been a pleasure and now at hand will be referred to often.
Heartily recommended to anyone interested in writing for pleasure or for academic publication.

Collated List Of Lunar Formations - Named Or Lettered In The Maps Of Neison, Schmidt, And Madler
by Mary Adela Blagg

4.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked little gem, 29 Jan. 2014
Until December 2013 I'd not heard of Mary Adela Blagg but now realize that her work to collate the works of several 19thC astronomers, in this case selenographers but also variable star observers, has been undervalued. As a modest lady, who lived only about 6 miles away from my new home in Staffordshire, she deserves to be better known.
K J Kilburn
Society for the History of Astronomy

Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series)
by Gerald R. Hubbell

1.0 out of 5 stars Aka Homer Simpson's guide to scientific astrophotography, 29 Jan. 2014
Very disappointing.
In his introduction, the author, Gerald Hubbell, make great stand that as a 'mentor' to the astrophotographic needs in his local society and with years in the nuclear industry (so does Homer), he purports to be qualified to write this book, despite only 4yrs experience as an astrophotographer. It showed! After reading 50 pages and having learned nothing except how to spend vast sums on equipment, I was getting bored.By page 100, I was getting irritated by the sloppiness and wordiness of the writing, particularly having read about the selection of filters in which he describe solar filters as either Mylar film with a 'coating' or glass filter with a 'coating'. Doesn't he realize that only metallic coating are suitable for solar imaging. Not saying so is downright negligent. By page 200 I had lost the will to live and had started to flick through the remainder of the book. It really wasn't worth the effort. The final insult was a list of well over 120 acronyms, many of which as a technical writer (?) Mr Hubbell had concocted for this book.
The very best parts of the book are the lists of recommended reading at the end of the chapters. I have purchased many of them over many years as a reasonably experienced astrophotographer and endorse his choice of sound, knowledgeable expertise. My impression is that Mr Hubbell had come to the same conclusion; then decided that with four years experience he could write one too. He couldn't and didn't.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3