This 2-disc set (which is also out on digital download: The Very Best Of
) celebrating Cilla's milestone anniversary charted on the Official UK 'TOP 40' album chart. It's unique selling points are: the inclusion on a "Region Free" DVD of Cilla's 1966 B&W TV special 'CILLA AT THE SAVOY' (this was one of the most watched music specials of 1966 on British TV; recording techniques may have been primitive back in the day but the footage contains some magical "live" performances conducted by George Martin); and for those who like to dance around their handbag there are two new remixes from Dutch DJ Matt Pop and British hit-maker Almighty (responsible for club anthems by the likes of Katy Perry, The Saturdays, Cher, Kylie and Jennifer Lopez). The career-spanning set also contains picture discs and a message in the booklet from Cilla!
As this album was the first "TV advertised" release in 10 years - celebrating Black at her all-time BEST! - it understandably includes all 19 of Cilla's 'Top 40' chart successes alongside other fan favourites! All 26 tracks on the CD are in STEREO and digitally remastered; these songs originate from the 1960s and 1970s with the exception of "Imagine" which was recorded in the 2000s. Together the collection offer newbie fans a fabulous insight into CB's illustrious & diverse pop career! Other 'GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY' celebrations include a TV special, a Cilla Black 2014 Wall Calendar [A4 Size
], Back to Black: Cilla. The Authorised Photographic Memoir
and DVD releases of her 1970s comedy plays Cilla's Comedy Six - The Complete Series [DVD
] and Cilla's World of Comedy - The Complete Series [DVD
]. Oh, for those craving some new Cilla music she recorded during 2013 this musical cover You're Just in Love
Actually for those who did not know, CB notably holds a unique place in the history of British pop music, as she was the second top selling music star, after The Beatles, to come out of Liverpool and Britain's biggest selling female chart star of the 1960s! Here are some interesting CHART STATS about some of the songs included on this set:
- "ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART" was a multi-million selling single by Burt Bacharach and Hal David and a #1 hit for Cilla in Great Britain, Ireland, South Africa and New Zealand;
- "YOU'RE MY WORLD" - another multi-million seller and Cilla's most successful single worldwide - it topped the charts in both Britain and Australia - it was also a #2 hit in Ireland, the second biggest hit for the year 1964 in South Africa, a Top 10 hit in Norway and Sweden, Top 20 hit in Canada and it even achieved 'Top 30' placing on the American Billboard Top 100;
- "YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN'" - a cover version of the Righteous Brothers' single - Cilla's rendition notably achieved a #2 chart position (2nd only to the original) in both the UK & Australia;
- "STEP INSIDE LOVE" - Written for Cilla by John Lennon & Paul McCartney - the song launched Cilla's career in television as it was the theme tune to her first series on British TV (BBC's 'Cilla' show);
- "SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SORROW" - Written for Cilla by Bill Martin & Phil Coulter - the song was a 'Top 5' hit in the UK and Ireland which also charted across continental Europe;
- "CONVERSATIONS" - Cilla's final 'Top 10' hit of the 1960s in the UK, Ireland and South Africa and a top seller across Asia - the song was written for Cilla by hit-makers Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway;
- "IF I THOUGHT YOU'D EVER CHANGE YOUR MIND" - a smash hit in Scandinavia;
- "SOMETHING TELLS ME" - Cilla's big-seller of the 1970s and a 'Top 5' British & Irish pop anthem - another song penned for Cilla by Cook & Greenaway also used as a theme tune to her BBC TV series 'Cilla'.
With everything now released on CD from Cilla's days at Parlophone/EMI what else could the label do??? Well they need to re-issue all of CB's original albums with their original artwork! One can only hope this box gets ticked before the extinction of the CD format!