Profile for Trixie Macks > Reviews

Content by Trixie Macks

Trixie Macks (England, UK)

Taking Flight
Taking Flight
by Sheena Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Taking Flight (Paperback)
Being a typical "horsey girl", and a showjumper at that, I could really get into Vicky's equine world and relate to her. However it was Declan's parts, which intregued me most, and kept me entertained. Having half my family living in Northern Ireland, I recognised the places and slang that he used which made me feel more included in the story. The writing was excellent, and the descriptions of the horses were lovely. At first, I found Vicky a very dislikable character, I found it amazing she couldn't spend any time with her horse except to ride him, so I was secretly glad when her love interest dumped her for being too much of a "princess". She slightly redeemed herself by the end though. I also loved hearing Declan describe everyday equine equipment from his outsiders view ("a big sandy field"- to us a menage, or "it was like a jacked, but with more buckles"- describing putting on a horses rug). So if you are not into horses, never fear, this book will be fine for you, the author has cleverly used Declan's ignorance to her advantage, so other characters can explain things to him. All the teenagers in the book were believeable, from their slang to their crash diets. Spoilt Vicky's inner monologue was also great, saying everything that little selfish part of us wants to, but daren't!
I was reccomended this by an equally horsey friend, so I was a bit dissapointed with the showjumping/competing aspect of the book. It describes a few shows, but not in much detail, so you don't get the baited breath feeling whilst reading through each jump in a round, praying they go clear. Or maybe thats just me :-)In other ways, such as the family drama it excelled itself, as you can see from all the 5* reviews!
The ending also seemed a little too perfect for me, Vicky acted horribly and therefore lost everything she loved, it seemed a bit convinient that she should get it all back in a flash as soon as she showed some redeeming qualities. Saying that I still think its a excellent book and would reccomend it to anyone.

Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
Twilight: Twilight, Book 1 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

2.0 out of 5 stars It's alright but definatly not good literature, 23 Feb. 2011
I'm 17, and after reading Twilight I had mixed feelings. Firstly, Stephanie Meyer cannot write well. Sure she can tell a story, but realisticly she tells us everything and leaves nothing to the imagination. Show not tell!!!
SPOILERS
Bella is a plain girl who hates rain and being cold, so she moves to a rainy town to live with her dad. We basically learn nothing about Bella except she looks remarkably like Meyer, and is clumsy. This is presumably so the reader can 'step into her shoes' but its awful, shes so bland I couldnt find anything I liked about her. She bitches about her new friends at school and then is close to tears because some hot guy didnt talk to her in Biology.
Enter Edward. He is basicaly every womans dream personified. He's hot, hes strong and he's oh so caring. Although Edward is 109, he still looks 17 and goes to high school. And he's been more than once. What annoys me about this character is how unrealistic he is, as a teenage boy. I can assure you that if a true teenager was amazingly good looking, he would not sit about chastely for 100 years waiting for 'the one'. Or keep repeting high school. At first Edward just wants to eat her, but after about 3 days he realises that this is true love, and starts watching her sleep. He basically stalks her then messes with her head by telling her 'he's dangerous' and then inviting her out for the day. He can't hear Bella's thoughts, however this has no impact on the story so lets not mention it again.
We find out basically nothing, except Bella likes cereal and Edward sparkles. When they finally kiss, its hilarious as he almost 'loses control' and has to tell Bella to calm down. So there's a lot of 'You like me? No way!' for about 100 pages, until an actual plot arrives, in which Bella basically goes to meet an evil vampire who wants to kill her, but all is well because Edward saves the day. Then they go to prom.
The problems I had with this book is basically how unrealistic the characters are! Edward is not like a teenage boy, and Bella is not like any girl I know. She's pretty boring.
The first half of the book is about her working out what Edward is, but some genius printed 'Edward is a Vampire' on the back of the book. So we waste a few hours finding out what we already knew.
Bella cooks, A LOT! Feminists will have a field day with this one.
Edward is so off and on with her this book sends out a bad message to any teenagers, that its fine for guys to treat you like this, and its cool if he's 'dangerous'.
They know each other for about a month, and yet they are in love?! No way. By the end of the book, Bella wants him to turn her into a vampire so they can be together forever.
That being said, its an alright little romance, and Edward can be quite charming, if you like courtship from the Victorian era, but its no Wuthering Heights.

A-level Notes for Ian McEwans "Enduring Love" (Jane Gibson's 'A'-level Notes)
A-level Notes for Ian McEwans "Enduring Love" (Jane Gibson's 'A'-level Notes)
by Jane Gibson

2.0 out of 5 stars Average, 17 Jan. 2011
After discovering a disapointing lack of revision guides for Enduring Love, I ordered up this one. As a student, I can say the bland layout and constant stream of small print text really did nothing for me. It didn't help me take anything in at all. Instead of laying out points and explaining them, this book asks questions into different aspects of the novel. This is all well and good, until you realise that you don't infact know the answer. So then your a bit lost really.
If your looking for something to help you pass an exam, I wouldnt advise this, unless your will to research every point thats made. If your a teacher and want new ideas for a lesson plan, go for it.
Saying all that, it is the only help book I could find so maybe i'm being a bit harsh. Doesnt compare to York Notes etc though.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2011 10:46 AM GMT