Profile for Christopher Straub > Reviews

Content by Christopher Straub

Christopher Straub (Croton on Hudson, NY)

Commodore Ballroom Vancouver 1981
Commodore Ballroom Vancouver 1981

1.0 out of 5 stars Gonzo has had some great releases in the past. Also some terrible ones. This is one of the latter., 25 Nov. 2014
Once again, we are forced to ask: Is there no Captain Beefheart recording too awful to be released on CD? Why on earth do I keep buying these? The series of increasingly dismal Ozit releases should have been enough to teach me a lesson. I suppose the surprisingly good "Live 1966-67" release from a couple months ago made me let down my guard. This is yet another in a series of poor cassette bootlegs that sound like they were recorded from the far end of a long tunnel. Poor Beefheart doesn't need his legacy tarnished in this way. If only I could learn my lesson and stop buying this garbage.

My Own Way
My Own Way
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars LP transfer, 1 May 2012
This review is from: My Own Way (Audio CD)
Just received my CD today and on first listen it sounds excellent. I just think that it is only fair to inform people that the liner notes state that this CD is "remastered from LP transfers." I would have thought that since Alan Douglas is reissuing this on his own label these recordings would have come from the original master tapes. Perhaps they have been lost? Since these tracks are transferred from LP, I can't imagine what excuse there could be for leaving 4 tracks off of this disc. Both the "Richie Havens Record" and "Electric Havens" could have easily fit on one CD in their entirety. If something is worth doing, it is worth doing it right!

Iron Horse Northhampton 1995
Iron Horse Northhampton 1995

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, poor packaging effort, 3 July 2011
The sound is quite good. The performance is very enjoyable. The track list on the CD case is totally wrong. Here is the correct track listing:

1. Intro 0:42
19. Blaze Of Glory 3:47
20. Rivers Of Babylon 2:27

Offered by Hausmusik

2.0 out of 5 stars Another questionable product in this series, 20 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Rare Broadcasts: +DVD (Audio CD)
Decent but somewhat muffled sound. DVD picture is of average TV quality. Petty's performances are excellent. I just wish I had known that the 64 minute running time referred to on the package was the COMBINED running time of BOTH the CD and the DVD! The DVD is 30 minutes and the CD is 34 minutes due to the presence of a bonus track. Other than the bonus track the musical contents of the CD and DVD are identical.

Transmissions: +Book
Transmissions: +Book
Offered by music_passion

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 20 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Transmissions: +Book (Audio CD)
This album consists mostly of live TV appearances by Dylan. For most of the tracks there is no indication of the source other than "TV show." Much of the album sounds as if it was recorded by holding a cassette recorder up to a TV speaker, but if that were the case, the songs would at least all play at the correct speed! The fine print on the back of the package warns of the "limitations of the original audio recording." I understand that there are limits to what can be done to improve the sound of a mediocre recording, but playing it at the correct speed should not be difficult. The speed problem exists in at least 3 songs. This disc sounds like, and may in fact be, just another bad bootleg. They appear to be releasing a follow-up cd called re-transmissions. Why bother?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2008 11:00 AM GMT

Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, 31 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Rare Broadcasts: +DVD (Audio CD)
I am watching the DVD portion of this package as I write this review. My first reaction was "What's Maart Allcock doing there?" follwed by "What are they doing indoors??" As the previous reviewer noted, the DVD content is identical to the CD content and NOT the advertised Cropredy 2001 show. While this is very disappointing and misleading, the performance is great and had I known that it WASN'T cropredy 2001 I suppose I would have bought it anyway. In view of the strength of the performance I can't justify giving it one star, but I would have rated it MUCH higher if it had been correctly descibed. Also, the DVD portion is only about 45 minutes long rather than the advertised 90 minute. I do feel somewhat ripped off.

Turn It On Again - The Hits (The Tour Edition)
Turn It On Again - The Hits (The Tour Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity - for a different reason, 26 July 2007
Several people have commented on the odd track selection for this compilation and have offered different explanations for the choices made. There is actually a very clear explanation. This compilation consists of all A-sides of commercially released UK singles from 1970 (The Knife) up to the first Ray Wilson single (Congo) plus No Reply at All, which I don't think came out as a single in the UK, but was released as a single nearly everywhere else. I have no explanation for the running order which seems to be roughly reverse chronological.
The reason I say that this was a missed opportunity is that there is space remaining on these discs for the two other Ray Wilson-era singles: Shipwrecked, and Not About Us. I suppose these tracks have been ignored deliberately and will certainly not appear on the current Genesis tour, but why do 95% of the work involved in making a complete collection of Genesis singles and then not finish the job?

Danielle Dax - Bad Miss M - Dainelle Dax Live [2006] [DVD] [1979]
Danielle Dax - Bad Miss M - Dainelle Dax Live [2006] [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Danielle Dax

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting music, irritating video., 8 April 2006
Danielle Dax made very unusual and innovative music and it is a real shame that she never got much recognition. I am assuming that anyone considering the purchase of this DVD is already familiar with the music and will appreciate the opportunity to see these songs perfomed live. I won't bother to go into detail about the songs. If you are not familiar with Dax's music, don't start here. Try the "Dark Adapted Eye" compilation.
This DVD appears to be a direct transfer from an earlier VHS release with no extras to speak of. The sound, while adequate, is not up to current DVD standards.
I was very eager to watch this video but quickly became irritated by the camera work and editing. Rather than attempting to recreate the feeling of being at the concert or drawing attention to important elements of the perfomance, the editors of this film seem intent on causing nausea. Throughout the film, multiple camera angles are shown rapidly fading in and out of each other. Often three or four images overlap and obscure each other. They change so quickly and interfere with eachother so much that it is hard to absorb what is going on. Sustained shots of a single subject are a rarity, don't last long, and usually consist of extreme close-ups of Ms. Dax's face. About half way through the show the film editors start to rapidly cycle back and forth between two camera shots creating a strobe effect that is completely overwhelming and painful to watch. They seem very fond of this effect as they keep bringing it back. There are also superimposed mirror image effects that overstay their welcome.
This DVD could have been much better. The production was irritating and detracted from a show that is very interesting musically. Danielle Dax is one of a kind and it's too bad that this is the only way to see one of her shows. In the future I will probably listen to the sound portion only.