Profile for KJ > Reviews

Content by KJ

KJ

Top Tips from the Baby Whisperer: Sleep: Secrets to Getting Your Baby to Sleep through the Night
by Melinda Blau

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, 20 Oct. 2010
This book has nearly driven me to ditraction. It's harsh, not always accurate (3 separate health visitors and my doctor have all told me in the strictest terms that it is normal for a baby under six months to wake for a night feed once per night- Tracy Hogg writes as though any baby over three months still waking during the night has clearly not been parented correctly) and is very badly written- I found the sections confusing and not logical at all.

HOWEVER, the shush pat method works. It tooks us ages to perfect it and get it right for us- again, the style of writing is confusing. The EASY routine makes sense too but your baby might not do it exactly as the author describes.

BUT be really careful with this book- I have found it to be like a sentence around my neck at times- Tracy Hogg's answer to everything is that we must have done some accidental parenting.. I hate this term- it's unhelpful, judgmental and horribly smug. I teach children and see "accidental parenting" all the time so I understand what she means, yet the accusatory tone is unhelpful and completely misjudged- especially when you are sleep deprived and trying to do your best for your little bundle.

In summary- cotains some really good ideas, but the best thing would be take what you need.. then toss it onto the fire and go and enjoy your baby!