Profile for J. Perry > Reviews

Content by J. Perry

J. Perry (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
QNAP TVS-EC1080+ - NAS & storage servers (E3-1245V3, DDR3, Serial ATA III, 2.5/3.5", 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, JBOD, Built-in)
Offered by Kikatek
Price: £2,665.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice NAS, 23 Oct. 2015
This isn't going to be a particularly technical review as I'm not a particularly technical person, but I will go through my logic for choosing this model and how it has performed against my expectations. First, I did not buy it from Amazon UK because they and their suppliers refused to stock it (it had been available in the UK for many months before I bought mine).

I have a collection of mp3 and flac files that I have ripped from CDs and DVDs; I also have some very precious video files taken at concerts and recorded off the TV that are irreplaceable as well has having the usual personal files that likewise are irreplaceable and must not be lost. Finally, I wanted to stop holding data on local PCs and iPhones and iPads and store them all centrally.

So, my requirement was and is very fast video streaming (I have a 10Gb capable wired LAN), large storage capacity and total reliability and security and no more local storage of data files on PCs. I also wanted a single source of files for the Sonos sound system with multiple rooms. So my set-up is now two NASs (this one and a slow one) both set up as RAID6 with the TVS-EC1080+ replicating its data onto the slower NAS and this set-up met my requirements.

Set-up of the NAS was surprisingly easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEhry4rxtv8 and this is my light-hearted recording of how it went.

Now the techies among you will probably say I have an over-specced NAS and they may be right, but I will say of the 10 x 4TB disks I now have over 25TB of usable storage. Data access is blindingly fast, I have no further worries of data loss, using down level files or accidentally deleting files as most of the time I have set myself to have read only access to my data and I've had total reliability as I had on my previous QNAP NAS.

I'm in the process of setting up security cameras and will try the virtualisation sometime, but I'm pleased. Maybe I could have achieved my goals at lower cost, but to me this box has earned its keep.

Right Here [Amazon Exclusive Signed Edition]
Right Here [Amazon Exclusive Signed Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars I must admit I only bought it because Nadine performed a duet with Shane as so I expected the album to be good, and I have not b, 26 Sept. 2015
What a lovely album. I must admit I only bought it because Nadine performed a duet with Shane as so I expected the album to be good, and I have not been disappointed, lovely songs and I enjoy listing to all the songs on the CD, well done and thank you.

TeckNet® Twin Mains Plug-in Wireless Cordless Doorbell Door Chime at 500-feet Range with 52 Chimes
Offered by Hippidion.Store

5.0 out of 5 stars The bell push seems pretty watertight but I may put a thin film of ..., 14 Sept. 2015
What a bargain. The receivers give a wide choice of tunes and the volume can be adjusted in steps to suit the rooms the receivers are placed in. My received are less than 15 metres from the bell push so naturally it functions properly. The bell push seems pretty watertight but I may put a thin film of vaseline on the bell push cover to stop any moisture getting inside.

This is an absolute bargain; my only criticism is that the bell push doesn't have "push" printed on it, so it is not very obviously a bell push.

I am very pleased with the purchase for 5 stars.

BENETECH GM550 Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer
BENETECH GM550 Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer
Offered by FiveSeasonStuff Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars It now 5*, 3 Sept. 2015
Original Comments
I've been called cold blooded before but I'm apparently 27.9C with this device when a human body is normally 37C. In fact all temperatures seem to be up to 10C low I need to decide by the end of today whether or not to accept this gross inaccuracy.
Update 16 Oct 15
Since receiving a comment from Mike about core body temperature, I've updated the rating to 5* as I believe I was probably wrong with my initial assessment. After further testing I think the device is more accurate than I first thought, and for the price it is excellent value for money. I will not be using it for absolute temperature measurement, but instead I'll be measuring temperature differentials.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2015 11:30 PM BST

Castrol EDGE Engine Oil 0W-30 4L
Castrol EDGE Engine Oil 0W-30 4L

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid Gold, 1 Sept. 2015
I guess I'll never know how well this oil protects my M3 engine, but having read reviews on Castol Oil I decided my oil would be replaced annually and not every 2 years as per BMW specs (and as per my 5 year pre-paid service plan). Personally I don't believe oil will last for two years, so on alternate years I'll be putting in this liquid gold.

APC SMT750I Smart-UPS,500 Watts /750 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port SmartSlot, USB

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and it shuts down my hard ..., 1 Sept. 2015
Fabulous piece of kit which I wouldn't be without. Easy to set up and it shuts down my hard drive enclosure when there is a power cut and so preventing and damage. If you have valuable data and video files, then this type of accessory is a must.

Ghost Hunting with Girls Aloud [DVD]
Ghost Hunting with Girls Aloud [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a laugh, 1 Sept. 2015
Believe me, it's very funny and full of laughs, only don't take it too seriously!

The Hobbit Trilogy (Limited Edition with Bilbo's Journal) [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars Bored, 1 Sept. 2015
Sorry, but it was boring. The 3 films could and should have been condensed into one film.

Katy Perry The Prismatic World Tour Live [Blu Ray] [Blu-ray] [2015]
Katy Perry The Prismatic World Tour Live [Blu Ray] [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Katy Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars I went to the live tour at the O2 and ..., 1 Sept. 2015
I went to the live tour at the O2 and it was absolutely fabulous. Katy knows how to engage with the audience and provide a thoroughly entertaining evening by a clearly very accomplished singer. I will now pre-order the blu-ray.

Lightning Cable [Apple MFi Certified], TeckNet 1.0M Apple Lightning to USB Cable For Apple iPhone 6S /6S plus/6/SE/5s/5c/5,iPad,iPad Air /Air 2, iPad mini1/mini2/mini3/mini4,iPad Pro,and iPod Nano 7th Generation
Offered by Hippidion.Store