Profile for Top Cat > Reviews

I Heart New York
I Heart New York
by Lindsey Kelk

1.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 20 April 2014
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
Whilst I enjoyed the opening premise of this book, I almost stopped reading it when Angela got to New York because the plot became ridiculously implausible. I mean who manages to make a best friend as soon as she turns up in a hotel? Angela is also treated to a make over that transforms her into an irresistible siren in the space of 24 hours? This really irritated me and I found myself becoming more and more annoyed with the main character and the author. Jenny is also a weird character who flips from being a saint to a truly nasty piece of work at the drop of a hat. Tyler is charming one minute and then unpleasant when it suits the plot. Surely there could have been a more exciting way of getting rid of the character than having him and Angela falling out with each other. Do we really need to hear about her 'amazing' Marc Jacob's bag every five minutes? The broken hand was also referred to more than was necessary. How do you manage to break someone's hand with a stiletto? I thought the writing lacked intelligence and imagination. I did get to the end but by then I couldn't have cared less which man she choose or which country she decided to live in. I am sure that chick lit can be much better than this!

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
by Martin Sixsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much given away by the blurb and photos, 6 April 2014
When I read a book I like the story to unfold as I read so I was really annoyed that the blurb gives so much of the story away before you even start. I also made the mistake of looking at the photographs whilst I was reading and discovered Michael's fate long before I actually wanted to. This spoilt the story for me because I knew what was going to happen in advance. Saying that I did become engaged with the story and it was filled with emotion. However, like many others have commented, I wanted to know more about Philomena. I had hoped we would get her parallel story over the years but she was sadly confined to the beginning and end of the story. I found this book hard to put down and would now like to see the film.

Desigual Dolmen Halterneck Women's Dress
Desigual Dolmen Halterneck Women's Dress

2.0 out of 5 stars a big disappointment, 29 Oct 2012
This dress is made out of cheap, thin material and is certainly not worth the expensive price tag. The dress I received looks slightly different to the one shown in the picture. The light blue colour is quite green and the side part is not the same either. The fit is ok but looks slightly big on me and much longer. The model must be very tall. All in all a complete disappointment that will be going back asap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 12:37 AM GMT

The Origin Of Love (Deluxe Edition)
The Origin Of Love (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars pop genius, 14 Oct 2012
Having loved his previous two albums, I was really looking forward to listening to his latest offering. I was certainly not disappointed! This is pure genius. Excellent, catchy tunes, fantastic lyrics and an amazing vocal range. A definite must buy for all Mika fans.

AX PARIS Striped Skater Sleeveless Women's Dress Yellow 12
AX PARIS Striped Skater Sleeveless Women's Dress Yellow 12

4.0 out of 5 stars Material could have been better., 16 July 2012
I do like the style and colour of this dress. I bought a 12 and it is a generous fit. The length is good and this dress looks equally nice with bare legs and/or leggings. I wasn't so keen on the quality of the material though. It is a little cheap looking. I was hoping it would be made of a thick cotton but it is 100% polyester instead.
I wish Amazon would say what the materials the clothes are made from as it is impossible to tell from a picture!

KCMODE Ladies Ivory Vintage Style Soft Evening Clutch Bag
KCMODE Ladies Ivory Vintage Style Soft Evening Clutch Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars my daughter loved this., 16 July 2012
I bought this for my daughter for her prom. She really loved it and thought it was pretty. Good value for money.

Yumi Lacey Chunky Lace Women's Dress Cream 12
Yumi Lacey Chunky Lace Women's Dress Cream 12

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality zip, 16 July 2012
I was disappointed by this dress. The style was nice and the fit was quite generous but the cheap, plastic zip let this dress down. It kept sticking. I have returned this dress but I could hardly do it up because of the zip.

Yumi Liberty Women's Dress Navy 12
Yumi Liberty Women's Dress Navy 12

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap material, 16 July 2012
I was disappointed by this dress. It fitted well but the cheap, thin almost shiny material let it down. I have returned this item.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, 16 July 2012
I ordered this bikini set yesterday and it all arrived today! I ordered the tankini, swim skirt, swim shorts and bikini top and all four pieces only cost £23 altogther including postage. So good to be able to order the exact size for each bit - I am a 12 on top and a 10 on the bottom.They all fit well. I haven't tried them out in a pool yet so I can't vouch for that bit.Each garment appears to be well made. I have been very pleasantly surprised!!