Profile for Susie Robertson > Reviews

Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone - Blue
Samsung Galaxy S5 Smartphone - Blue
Offered by Phone Exchange

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 15 April 2014
The screen is big and beautiful: videos and photos look amazing on it. The speaker is good, I just wish the speakers were on the front and they were stereo. Sound quality from headphones is excellent though. The camera is fantastic! I compared the photos with my Mum's iPhone 4S and they were MUCH better: they were much sharper and the colours were better.

The only thing I don't like is the build quality: it's still the same old Samsung plastic. It feels okay, but it just doesn't feel like the phone is worth over £500. If this phone was made of metal, it would be one of the best phones on the market I think. This was the ONLY thing that I don't like, hence the four stars.

Highly recommended!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 10:42 AM BST

HTC One M8 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gunmetal Grey
HTC One M8 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gunmetal Grey
Offered by Digital Techno LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC continues its excellent smartphone trend!, 6 April 2014
This phone is excellent!

Build quality/design: 5/5
----------------------

The build is fantastic: it's made of aluminium so it feels great in the hand. I didn't find the size of this phone to be bad in one hand, although two-handed use is better. This phone is also really thin so it slides into a pocket really easily also.

Display: 5/5
-----------

The screen is beautiful: it's bright and clear, thanks to its 1080p resolution. Viewing angles are also fantastic due to the IPS technology used.

Speakers: 100000/5 (5/5)
-----------------------

The speakers on this phone are even better than the 2013 HTC One (M7): they're AMAZING!!! They're louder and clearer than the M7. You really cannot find a better phone for sound quality than this one. This is down to the excellent quality drivers HTC use, coupled with their BoomSound software optimisations. Sound quality from earphones is great also.

So, if you're looking for a media-consumption device, get this phone, it's the best!

Performance
-----------

This phone has the latest Snapdragon 801 CPU and 2GBs of RAM, so it's super-fast. This phone almost never lagged. The only place it lagged a TINY bit was in Chrome (when scrolling quickly on long webpages), but I haven't found a phone/device that doesn't, yet.

Software: 4/5
--------

I actually don't mind HTC Sense: sure, I do prefer stock Android because it's less bloated, but Sense really doesn't slow down the performance too much. That's probably due to the super-speedy Snapdragon 800 CPU and 2GB included with this phone. I like Blinkfeed, because it puts news, Twitter, Facebook, etc. into one accessible location (just a swipe on the homescreen). However, I still prefer Flipboard because it syncs across multiple devices. It's definitely improved over the 2013 HTC One (M7) though.

Camera: 3/5
------------

The camera is okay, but not great. The ability to re-focus images after shooting is cool, but it really doesn't work that well in the real world. You can definitely tell that what you're now focussing on wasn't originally what was focussed on. I do like the built-in filters though - you can customise your photos to your heart's content! My biggest issue with it is the resolution: 4MP IS too low. I know megapixels are only part of the story, but really, 4MP is too small to do anything useful with the pictures. They look pretty bad on a standard size 1080p monitor. However, they are fine for sharing to Facebook, Twitter, etc. This is my ONLY negative, hence the four stars.

Call quality: 5/5
--------------

What about call-quality, this is a phone after all! Well, it's excellent. I could hear callers very clearly, even in noisy environments. Callers said I was clear on their end. No issues.

Reception was excellent, even in my house in the middle of the country, on Tesco Mobile (uses O2). Your experiences may vary, but the reception was good, even in a low-quality signal area, so I think it's unlikely you'll have any signal issues.

Conclusion
----------

Really then, this phone is one of the best (if not the best) phones of 2014 (so far). Even with the camera being only okay, (hence the four stars) this is still one of the best phones around. I have no hesitation in recommending this phone to anyone!

4/5.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 1:29 PM BST

Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers
Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT sound - highly recommended - better than speakers costing more than double the price!, 4 April 2014
These speakers are fantastic: the sound quality is excellent. There is no distortion, unless you put your volume at maximum, by which point your ears would hurt. At any normal volume, they sound great. These aren't far off my JBL Creature IIIs, which are ~£60 - more than 5x more expensive than these!

The speakers are really small so they are really portable (I use them on a desktop, so this doesn't affect me, but it's still a good point).

The only negative I can think of (and it is a VERY small one) is that I wish the speaker and 3.5mm audio cables were longer. But really, this is me looking for anything bad to say.

I cannot hesitate to recommend these speakers. They are FANTASTIC! I would gladly pay £40 for these, but at £10, these are are an absolute steal. 100% recommended.

5/5.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible - if I could give ZERO STARS, I would!, 4 April 2014
This phone came with multiple defects. The first was that the home button doesn't work. The second is that the speaker doesn't work - no sound comes from it at all. Because of this, this phone was essentially useless to me.

From what I managed to test, the screen is poor: VERY poor viewing angles and lots of backlight bleed (you can see the backlight on the sides of the screen). The screen is very washed out and doesn't look accurate at all.

The build quality is very poor also: the phone feels VERY cheap (I know it is 'cheap' but still) - it feels like a four year old's toy: it creaks, bends easily and just isn't well made. The back will scratch very easily.

At least they include two cases, to protect that vulnerable back: a gel case that only protects the back and a flip-case that protects the front (it replaces the original back panel, so the new back is still very susceptible to scratches). Unfortunately, the gel case makes the buttons feel very mushy and difficult to press and the flip-case isn't magnetic like Samsung's (which it was copied from - the whole phone is for that matter), so it'll easily come away in a bag, pocket, etc. and you'll end up with scratches.
A screen protector comes pre-applied, so you'd think this would be a positive; unfortunately, mine had bubbles in it. The screen protector is a very cheap one, that will scratch when put in your pocket.

Overall, a truly TERRIBLE product. This is the worst phone and one of the worst products that I have ever had the misfortune of using.

DO NOT BUY.

1/4 (0/4 if Amazon would let you give zero star ratings!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 12:48 PM BST

Comply Tsx-400 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Black
Comply Tsx-400 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips - (S/M/L) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, 28 Mar. 2014
I always find that my ears hurt after using earphones for more than an hour or two, but not with this product! I listened to music for two hours, non-stop and no pain at all. The earbuds form to your ears so they fit perfectly, creating a nice seal, so all you hear is your music.

You get three sets of earbuds, so the chances are, one of them will fit your ears at first. Once you've found that, squash it, stick in your ear and hold it there for around thirty seconds - done.

These feel robust, like they would last for a good amount of time. The manufacturer say they should last for about 9 months, which I'd say is pretty accurate.

Overall, highly recommended. It may be expensive, but this product is worth every penny. My only advice is to get the small, medium, large pack, so you can find the right size earbuds for you. A truly excellent product. 5 stars.

Kuzy - UK/EU BLACK Keyboard Cover Silicone Skin for MacBook Pro 13" 15" 17" Aluminum Unibody fits MacBook with or w/out Retina Display / Macbook Air 13 / MacBook White (European/ISO Keyboard Layout)
Offered by Kuzy UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit MacBook Pro Retina at all! A truly horrible product., 20 Mar. 2014
This product is awful. The keys are really hard to press with it on and typing fast is impossible. The keys stick and the cover doesn't fit evenly, so each key feels different. An awful product.

NOT recommended!

Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Closed Back Dynamic Stereo Monitor Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Closed Back Dynamic Stereo Monitor Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, excellent build, JUST EXCELLENT (just a couple of minor issues), 16 Mar. 2014
These headphones sound AMAZING. The sound is flat, rather than being too bass heavy, like on many headphones, ahem *Beats*. I can honestly say that these sound better than Beats costing double the price!

They look good too!

The only issue I have is that I cannot use them for too long, because they start to hurt my ears. I am not sure if this is too do with the way my head is formed, but if I use them for more than three hours continuously, my ears start to hurt. A quick fix is to remove them for half an hour or so, then I can listen to them for another three hours (approximately).

In addition, the spring that is on the cord at the end (where the 3.5mm headphone jack is) has come off my pair, due to it being a bit weakly attached I think.

But really, these are really minor issues, so I have no issue recommending these to anyone. I really don't think there is anything better.

Apple ME294B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OS X)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy from Gadget Heaven - non-UK model!, 10 Mar. 2014
Despite what they say, Gadget Heaven are selling an international model of this laptop with a non-UK keyboard. I also get no UK warranty as it's not from the UK. Also, doing a search on Apple's site for the serial number comes up with no date of purchase, etc. which seems odd.

I am very upset and I now have to return it.

DO NOT BUY FROM Gadget Heaven!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2014 2:11 PM BST

Nokia Lumia 1320 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows, 6-inch, 8 GB)
Nokia Lumia 1320 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows, 6-inch, 8 GB)
Offered by Executivez

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Windows Phones on the market!, 8 Mar. 2014
I really like this phone.

The screen is very good - it's 6 inches so it's huge, but this makes it great for watching movies. The 720p HD resolution makes movies look really good. If it was 1080p, movies would look even better (they do look a tiny bit less sharp than phones like the Note 3, which has a 1080p 5.7 inch display).

It's got 4G LTE so you can get INSANE mobile data speeds (I've seen 80Mbps before).

The battery life is decent: you should be able to get through a whole day..

The Windows Phone apps are definitely improving: the only app that I miss is YouTube, but other apps, e.g. Instragram, Facebook are all there now. The Nokia-included apps are good also: I especially like the camera app.

The camera is okay, but not amazing. It's not nearly as good some other Nokia phones, but it's good enough for posting photos to Facebook,etc.

Apart from that, I can definitely recommend this phone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2014 8:20 PM GMT

HTC One UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gold
HTC One UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Android phones on the market - now available in a new colour!, 7 Mar. 2014
The HTC One is an absolutely fantastic mobile phone.

This phone is by-far the best phone currently available for media consumption: the speakers are AMAZING; they're INCREDIBLE. There aren't any other phones with so much detail: you get more mids, more highs and more bass. The Beats Audio (EQ) does tend to slightly over-emphasise the bass, but it isn't too much of a problem. Overall, the audio quality is FANTASTIC. The screen is excellent also: it's 1080p and on a screen of this size (4.7 inches) the PPI (pixels per inch) is so high you can hardly see the pixels: video appears crisp. The screen is accurate too: the colours aren't blown out like some phone screens, just an excellent all-round experience.

Call quality was very good: the headset mic was very good, even in noisy environments and callers reported me as sounding very clear, even in poor signal areas. Reception was very good: no issues to report.

This phone just flies through everything: the CPU (Snapdragon 600) never missed a beat: I didn't see any lag, etc. when browsing the web, moving through the homescreens, etc. I tend to dis-like Android skins, but Sense 5 really isn't bad at all: it's not very intrusive and you can almost ignore it if you want (Blinkfeed is an example of this).

Media creation was less good: the 4 megapixel camera really is too low. Even cropping photos a tiny bit is difficult as you really don't have much to work with. Posting photos to Facebook, etc. would be okay however. Low light performance was very good though: the low amount of pixels gives the advantage of each pixel being bigger, so more light can be let in, thus leading to really good lowlight pictures.

The build quality is fantastic: the aluminium feels super-premium and holding the device in your hand just feels amazing. I love the feeling of aluminium: it's cold when you pick it up. I much prefer aluminium over plastic. If you're looking for the best built smartphone on the market, this is it!

Despite the tiny issues, this phone deserves the full five stars! I cannot hesitate to recommend this phone to anyone and with a new colour option (gold), this phone will appeal to even more people.

HIGHLY recommended!