Profile for Mr. J. J. Brett > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. J. Brett

Mr. J. J. Brett "Carrot Cruncher" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Gibsons Nanette's Cottage and Spirit of Christmas Jigsaw Puzzle by Thomas Kinkade (2 x 500 pieces)
Price: 11.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed but Gibson's came through., 5 April 2014
Was looking forward to making these puzzles but both sets had missing pieces. Also, the quality was poor with some of the pieces de-laminating straight out of the box. There is a slip inside the box that advises you to return a selection of pieces to the manufacturer in the event that there are any problems. We will be returning them and I will update this review according to the service I get from Gibson's. No reflection on the Amazon seller, the item arrived sealed and unmarked.
Update 18/05/2014 - Got a letter from Gibson's Games apologising for missing pieces.They did express surprise that both puzzles were short but they didn't quibble and they sent me 2 new sets of pieces. I've made one and it is complete although there was still a problem with paper flashing on some of the parts. Gibson's state that they change their cutting tools several times a year but perhaps they need to look at their production processes. The puzzle itself was quite difficult due to the vagueness of the artist's brush strokes and the high proportion of coloured blobs representing leaves and flowers. Consequently I felt a strong sense of satisfaction when I completed the puzzle and I look forward to doing the second one.

Dremel 3000 Series Multitool with 15 Accessories
Dremel 3000 Series Multitool with 15 Accessories
Price: 39.98

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Dremel! What better recommendation do you need?, 20 Feb 2014
I wanted a craft drill for my son's model making activities with the added bonus that I'd be able to borrow it for those little household jobs. After reading some scary reviews on various budget drills I was getting despondent. Then, joy of joys, Santa gave my son a Dremel for Christmas. What's more, he told me that it only cost 28. The drill is solid and well made and performs beautifully. At this price you only get a soft case and limited attachments but it's a bargain way to get a quality piece of kit.

Christmas Rocks: The Best of Collection
Christmas Rocks: The Best of Collection
Price: 14.09

4.0 out of 5 stars A rockin' mess of festive toons., 20 Feb 2014
As a long time Stray Cats fan I was intrigued to see Brian Setzer's metamorphosis into a band leader. This collection has a varied and interesting mix of rock n roll, jazz and boogie woogie with some classical influences thrown in. Not everything was to my taste but I have to admire the guy's talent. Stand out track for me was a rocking festive adaptation of In The Mood which has got to be guaranteed to get any seasonal party jumping.

Spinning Rock Boogie
Spinning Rock Boogie
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic mad Rockabilly., 20 Feb 2014
I have the 1976 vinyl single of this tune with 'Don't Mess With My Ducktail' on the B side. It's great to hear it without scratches and it has got to be one of the fastest, most frenetic rockers ever. I was persuaded to bop to it at my son's birthday party and nearly ended up in A&E. Essential Rockabilly.

Beast Quest Series 5, Books 25 - 30, RRP 29.94 (Amictus the Bug Queen, Hawkite, Arrow of the Air, Koldo the Arctic Warrior, Krabb, Master of the Sea, Rokk the Walking Mountain, Trema the Earth Lord) (Beast Quest)
by Adam Blade

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Beast Quest, what else can I say?, 20 Feb 2014
My ten year old son reads these at school and has collected the first five series for his personal library. They are fairly simply written with a plot any youngster can follow easily, In fact, all the books we've read together so far have the same plot with a few minor variations thrown in. My son is actually getting a little bored with the familiar nature of the stories and I can't see him collecting the multitude of books remaining but he still dips in and out of them from time to time.

Kids Girl Children Cute Princess Rhinestone Hair Band Tiara Headwear
Kids Girl Children Cute Princess Rhinestone Hair Band Tiara Headwear
Offered by Hotportgift
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but the detail is too flimsy, 20 Feb 2014
This is way better than the plastic tiara that my daughter got for Christmas. It's metal, shiny and looks pretty. My only concern is that the jewels drop out too easily. The two side ones are on hooks so can be slotted back on provided that said daughter hasn't lost them altogether. The big centre one dropped out when one of the tabs broke. I have managed to get it to hold in with the three remaining tabs but if if goes again I will be gluing it in. It's not expensive so I didn't expect perfection but it seems to me that a little more thought in the design could have prevented these problems.

Christmas Star 480 Bright White Chasing Led Cluster Lights
Christmas Star 480 Bright White Chasing Led Cluster Lights

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short for a big tree., 12 Dec 2013
Although I was pleased with the price, speed of delivery and the apparent quality of these lights I have docked a couple of stars because they are clustered closely together on a relatively short cable (maybe 3.5m). If the description had included the garland length as well as the cable length I would not have bought them as they do not cover my 7ft tree. The last 480 light string I bought was about twice the length of this one and could be wound round the tree quite generously.
Having said that, if you have a smaller tree or want the lights for a display they are great. Multi function cold white LEDs they glitter very appealingly, Draped in a spiral they look like cascading, twinkling ice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2013 7:22 PM GMT

AUTOart Slot Racing - Ford Mustang FR500C #55 - 1:32 Scale
AUTOart Slot Racing - Ford Mustang FR500C #55 - 1:32 Scale
Offered by JAPAN IDOL MEETING SHOP.
Price: 36.52

4.0 out of 5 stars How much!!!, 28 Nov 2013
I bought this car for my son earlier in the year for about 14. I've no idea who would pay 48 + 10 postage for it. It's a great model, beautifully detailed....but not 50 worth.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first one., 14 Sep 2013
I bought the cheap version of the DVD with minimal extras so no gripes about 3D or updating firmware here.

The sleeve notes on the DVD case contain a plot spoiler in the first line in that they name Khan right there and then. Great thinking guys! Still, I'd seen the film at the cinema so I knew what to expect.

As an action movie this film is right on the money with fights, explosions and lots of special effects. As Star Trek or SciFi generally it falls down somewhat unfortunately.

The film starts with an away mission gone wrong as Kirk and Bones run for their lives through a red forest whilst being pursued by angry natives who they are trying to lure away from an ominously rumbling volcano. We discover that the Enterprise is concealed under the sea for no good reason that I can think of. Scotty even points out the ludicrousness of the situation. I can only guess that the director wanted an excuse to show the Enterprise emerging spectacularly from the sea with water cascading from its might body. If that's the case he failed as the sequence doesn't actually look that great. Being shot from the viewpoint of the natives means that we are too close to see anything other than sections of the Enterprise as it rises up and it also looks out of focus.

Spock has to be rescued from the volcano as he has had to personally deliver a cold fusion bomb to try to neutralise the eruption. The fact that a robot drone could've done the same job with no risk to life and limb would deprive the writer of his dramatic device.

The action switches to London where a luckless Starfleet officer with a sick daughter is bribed by the film's villain into blowing up the local Starfleet office. This turns out to be a device to get Starfleet's top brass together so they can be shot at by said villain. This is the cue for an illicit trip to Kronos to chase the villain and have a bust up with the local redesigned Klingons. The villain turns out to be none other than Khan Noonien Singh (I don't think I'm spoiling anything now). He has been working with a renegade Starfleet admiral to secretly develop high powered weapons and to militarise Starfleet but has now decided to scupper these plans and free his crew.

There is more double dealing, a space battle and Kirk dies saving the Enterprise in an inverted take on the Wrath of Khan. Kirk and Spock swap dialogue for this part which you can regard as a tribute to the original film or a deadly lack of imagination depending on your level of cynicism. Of course, Kirk is brought back to life as we apparently don't have the luxury of waiting for the next film to bring him back like they did with Spock in Search for Spock.

Spock wraps up the film by beating Khan to a pulp and taking him back to the Enterprise to harvest his blood to bring Kirk back to life.

Simon Pegg manages to be more like Scotty than he was in the first film and Karl Urban continues to give a creditable Deforest Kelley impersonation. Zachary Quinto is starting to sound eerily like the young Leonard Nimoy although he looks bizarrely fat in the face. Chris Pine continues to be Chris Pine and seems to have had some sort of hair dye accident. I'll swear his hair was glowing in one scene. Zoe Saldana gets a lot more to do in this film including shooting Khan multiple times to enable Spock to finish him off.

A lot has been said about Benedict Cumberbatch and his lack of Indian characteristics. That aside I thought he played Khan well and he conveyed much more emotional depth than the rest of the cast combined.

Although this film was popcorn fun I came away with the feeling that it could have been so much better. It wasn't as good as the original Wrath of Khan which had a far more exciting and suspenseful space battle and much more emotionally convincing death scene. Other reviews have pointed out that Abrams had the whole of space to play with but came up with something small and limited. They're not wrong.

Space - Above and Beyond - Collector's Edition [DVD] (Includes Pilot Episode)
Space - Above and Beyond - Collector's Edition [DVD] (Includes Pilot Episode)
Dvd ~ Morgan Weisser
Price: 21.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Cancelled too soon., 26 Aug 2013
This is one of those series that should have been allowed to grow. When you watch it you can believe it is the prototype for the rebooted Battlestar Galactica series. A cramped claustrophobic setting, almost monochrome colour scheme, harsh lighting, lots of facial close ups and introspective dialogue.

The series followed the exploits of a young group of marines called the Wild Cards aboard a space-going aircraft carrier called the Saratoga. As marines they are called upon to fly fighters as well as battle on the ground. In one episode they even fight in cramped tunnels like the Cu Chi tunnels in the Vietnam war.

The team consists of 3 men and 2 women, one of whom rises to become their captain. All have joined the marines for different reasons, all have different backgrounds but all are bonded together in the heat of war against an unknown and superior enemy.

Created by X-Files alumni Morgan and Wong SAAB was unfairly dubbed Melrose Space because of its youthful good looking stars but it went way beyond explosions and a few toothy smiles. The characters grew and showed their strengths and flaws. You got to learn their stories and see their humanity. The plots are frequently inspired by old war movies and events but add in dark conspiratorial X-Files overtones. We never really get to know the enemy which adds to the suspense. The Earth people are obviously less than perfect and we see that some figures in government and big business have less than honourable motives which casts doubt on whether we are the good guys or not. Throw in the racial intolerance towards the in-vitro humans and the complications added by the duplicitous AIs and you have all the ingredients for compelling story telling.

The set and craft design was top notch although the CGI was lacking compared to Babylon 5. Maybe the effects would have improved if there had been a second series. That's not to say the effects were terrible, merely serviceable for the time when they were filmed.

This box set includes the pilot film which follows the recruitment and training of our heroes. It even has the splendid R Lee Ermey as the drill sergeant. James Morrison deserves mention as the squad's hard ass CO Colonel T C McQueen. Despite being an in-vitro loner who lives for the corps he develops an affection and protectiveness towards his charges that really shines through. Tucker Smallwood is perfectly cast as the blues playing hard bitten commander of the Saratoga and there were an array of guest actors plucked from the world of TV to play one-off and recurring characters. No overshadowing the stories with big name guests in this series.

The set also includes a documentary on the series tech, lots of stills and some cast interviews from 1996. Not a lot but I guess it's tough to find material for a single series cancelled 17 years ago. I'm just happy to get a region 2 box set, I've waited years for one to become available.

Watch the show, enjoy the stories and don't get too hung up on the effects. Most of the time you won't even notice that they're a little creaky.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 12:55 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12