Profile for Mr. R. Laverick > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Laverick

Mr. R. Laverick "Robert Laverick" (Sunderland/Durham Border)

Page: 1 | 2
The Thing [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Thing [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kurt Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quintessential Horror Movie, 4 Oct 2009
I watched this classic horror flick last night with the audio playing through my Arcam Solo Mini (I do not have a surround sound set-up). Absolutely crystal clear picture, especially during the gory monster/autopsy scenes! The stereo effects are amazing, what with the helicopter scenes and the monster vocalisations. I've bought this film on both VHS and DVD in the past, and think the Blu-ray is a bargain at Amazon. The sound set-ups are; HD Master Audio, English commentary track, French, Italian, German and Spanish audio choices. Much better than watching current CGI efforts by today's film-makers. The quintessential horror movie.

Metallica - Live in Seoul [DVD]
Metallica - Live in Seoul [DVD]
Dvd ~ Metallica

2.0 out of 5 stars Dire Quality DVD, 17 Sep 2009
I bought this DVD because I love Metallica. However this product is now officially the worst DVD I have in my music collection. An "Intergroove" logo is displayed at the top right-hand side of the screen throughout the concert. A scrolling band of green with Korean writing is displayed at the beginning of each track, and "Metallica, Seoul 2006" appears on the bottom-left of screen periodically. You only have one audio option; 2 channel stereo (If you can call it that!). If you read the customer reviews before you purchase this item, (I didn't) it should warn you off considering parting with your hard-earned cash!

Panasonic Blu Ray Player Hdmi Dvix / Sd Slot / Bd Live
Panasonic Blu Ray Player Hdmi Dvix / Sd Slot / Bd Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Perfect, 16 Sep 2009
I love my Panasonic DMP-BD35. Very easy to set up. Very easy to update via ethernet cable, using your broadband modem. Robust, user friendly remote. It is not bulky, like other cheaper brands; small and light, and very sleek. The menus are easy to follow. The picture quality is amazing on Blu-ray, and it makes a very efficient job of upscaling ordinary DVDs. I watch a lot of music Blu-rays/DVDs and the stereo sound I experience through my connected Hi-Fi is fantastic, although I can't comment on the audio options as I don't have a surround system. Very happy with this product.

Live From Texas [Blu-ray] [2008]
Live From Texas [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Zztop

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Performance, 14 Sep 2009
Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard put on a polished performance at the Nokia Theatre in Dallas, in 2008. They play my favourites; Rough Boy, Gimme All Your Lovin', Sharp Dressed Man and Legs, aswell as 14 other brilliant tracks. The picture quality is out of this world, and the three audio options are; LPCM Stereo, Dolby 5.1 and DTS HD Master Audio. A masterful performance. What Blu-ray was made for.

Total Recall [Blu-ray]
Total Recall [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, But No Extras, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: Total Recall [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have been a fan of this film for many years, and also a big fan of "Arnie" (Although I do not like him in comedy). Only one audio option; DTS HD Master Audio. No black bands however, because the film is 16.9. Most of the film looks polished and comes over great in HD. Disappointed there weren't any bonus features though. Still one of my favourite films.

Shine A Light [with Bonus Digital Copy] [Blu-ray]
Shine A Light [with Bonus Digital Copy] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mick Jagger
Offered by discchord

4.0 out of 5 stars Expecting More Earlier Songs!, 13 Sep 2009
Firstly, a gripe about the loading times. On my Panasonic DMP-BD35 it took 2 mins 15 secs to display the menu, and on my PS3 it took 1 min 7 secs, which seemed like eons with a blank screen! There were 3 audio choices; DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD, and Digital Multi (With Audio Description). I cannot experience any of these to their full potential, as I am only playing music Blu-rays through my Hi-Fi stereo, which is good enough for me. It starts with a mini documentary, which switches from black and white to colour, SD to HD and back again. This lasts for 13 mins until the start of the concert. The venue is the Beacon Theatre, New York City, 2006, which provides an intimate audience experience. The concert opens with "Jumpin' Jack Flash". What follows is mainly contempory songs, with the occasional oldie thrown in. Luckily "Sympathy For The Devil", "Brown Sugar", and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" are included in the set. Guest performers include Jack White (From the White Stripes) and Christina Aguilera. Included in the bonus songs are "Paint It Black" and "I'm Free". Mick Jagger gives an energetically extrovert performance. Keith Richards' personality shines through (And he sings two or three tracks aswell, although his voice does not come over well!). The concert is interspersed with archive footage of band interviews, and lasts about 2 hours. The concert footage is in glorious Hi-Def, and really shows off Scorsese's skills in direction. I was really impressed with this film, but would have preferred the band to have played more of their early work.

Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bit Of Kit, 10 Sep 2009
I bought my Sony RDR-HXD890 in November of last year. I've been using HDD DVD recorders for about four years now, and this is the best one out of three I've used so far. Most of the time the recordings start just before the selected programme starts, even when the programme runs late (Mostly BBC shows) and end without cutting the recording short. When recordings are missed or run short, it is invariably the fault of the TV channel concerned (eg; Channel 5!), as they have to send a signal over the airwaves. You can disable this feature when you set your recording however. I've read that some people complain about the recorder not being equipped with two Freeview tuners. NO HDD DVD RECORDERS on the market have two Freeview tuners, only PVR's without the facility to archive to DVD have two digital tuners. The edit functions allow you to record concerts/music videos and put a chapter mark between each track, then dub this information at high speed to disc - cracking function!!! The picture quality via HDMI is amazing, so crisp and clear. Would wholeheartedly recommend this recorder to anyone not expecting to replace Sky+ with built in DVD!!!!!!!!!!

PURE EVOKE-2S, Luxury Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Maple
PURE EVOKE-2S, Luxury Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Maple
Offered by Tribal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Quality Radio, 6 Sep 2009
I bought the Pure Evoke 2S to replace a budget radio I'd been having reception issues with while cooking in the kitchen.The difference between the two is astounding! Clear, 100% reception, without any loss of signal on all the channels I tried. My favourites are the DAB rock channels, and the Pure Evoke 2S provided clear, meaty sound on all of them. It also looks very well made, and is easy to use. I don't think I'll need to buy the optional battery pack as I do not plan to use it away from home. Fantastic sound, brilliant specifications. A must have if you can afford it!

Panasonic TX-L32V10B 32 -inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freesat HD & Viera Cast

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant picture, Mediocre sound, 23 Aug 2009
I bought this TV knowing that Panasonic is a brilliant and reliable brand, having sold earlier, lower spec models onto relations. The Freeview tuner is fantastic, with detailed clear pictures. The Freesat HD has crystal clear pictures on BBC HD and ITV HD, but the sound has to be turned down low on BBC HD, as any bass seems to vibrate the speakers. The inclusion of 4 HDMI inputs is very welcome. The ability to tune into satellite channels other than Freesat is also a bonus. I am using this as a bedroom TV, and it is very aesthetically pleasing, and not at all imposing. You really do not need to study the instructions too closely, as the set-up and remote feels instinctual. I have not connected it to the internet however as my router is in the living room. Overall, considering the specifications, great value for money! *Update 22/10/09: Ref issues with the sound reproduction- Panasonic confirm there is a sound vibration problem with the back panel on this model, and if your set is affected, will remedy the problem free of charge. I've just had mine done today, and the sound reproduction is now perfect! Telephone Panasonic on: 0844 844 3852 and they will arrange for a local engineer to go to your home and remedy the problem. Job done!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2010 8:41 PM BST

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [Blu-ray] [1976] [Region Free]
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest [Blu-ray] [1976] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Old classic with significant improvements, 23 Aug 2009
I have always been an avid fan of this movie classic. Jack Nicholson's character portrayal of Randall P MacMurphy is fantasically steeped in character and humour. The blu-ray image is detailed and absorbing, and the cinematic lustre of the original film has been updated. A sane "Jack the lad" driven insane by the misdeeds of those in authority in a US mental institution. Number 1 movie, first class transfer.

Page: 1 | 2