Profile for CriticalMass > Reviews

The Fall
The Fall
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Follow Up, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Fall (Kindle Edition)
I liked The Strain and whilst The Fall doesn't perhaps reach the level of invention and originality of the first book it does not fail to disappoint. Looking forward to what the final book has to bring to the mix.

Silva Trail Runner Ii - Black
Silva Trail Runner Ii - Black
Offered by altonsports- Run and Fitness Store
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Trail Running Companion, 13 Jan 2014
I have been running for acouple of years now and have completed a marathon and several half marathons. I wanted to up my training mileage which means running in the dark on early winter mornings and late afternoons and evenings, juggling my runs around work. I had a few specific requirements, and the Silva Trail 2 meets those nicely.

Firstly I wanted a headtorch which is light - the Silva 2 takes 3 AAA batteries and having used it on several runs now I can honestly say that I forgot I was wearing it.

The headtorch is switched on by pressing in the power button to the left of the main light (there are 2 lights on the torch - a main beam and a second diffused one that lights up the wider area in front of you). One press gives out a bright light, a second press dims the beam to save power, pressing a third time switches it back to a bright beam. Holding the power button for a couple of seconds switches the torch off. The diffused beam bulb will then shine green, orange or red to alert you to how much battery power is left which is a very handy feature.

I guess the dimmed beam is a good power saving feature but I need a headtorch for trails and back roads that range from dark to pitch black and the bright beam copes well with both. I am aware of other makes of headtorch that have a brighter beam in turns of a higher lumen rating but then many of these have a much shorter battery life so it's a trade-off which for me the Silva 2 wins handsomely. To my mind there is no point having an extremely bright head torch if it only lasts a couple of hours. The Silva 2 has been rated as lasting 20 hours but I have not tested this out yet. In any case I need to be able to get a good 12-15 hours as I intend to run an ultramarathon.

The build quality is good - the battery compartment has a rubber seal around it and I would expect it to keep out rain showers although I have not had the opportunity to test it yet.

The head band is elastic and adjustable to fit all head sizes and shapes and there is a neat little plastic clip which keeps the cable that runs from the battery compartment to the torch taught and prevents it potentially snagging on anything.

I will endeavour to update this review after some further runs.

*Update - 22nd May 2014*

I have run in rain showers with no performance issues and covered lots of miles in pitch black conditions on both roads and trails with little or no natural light whatsoever. The Silva 2 performs extremely well especially considering its brightness-to-weight ratio. I've had positive comments from envious dog walkers in the early morning as I run past who complement the head torch on its brightness and effectiveness.

ASICS GEL-FUJI TRAINER 2 Running Shoes
ASICS GEL-FUJI TRAINER 2 Running Shoes
Offered by Park Sport
Price: 119.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Asics Gel Success, 23 July 2013
I already had a pair of Asics Gel Trabaco after having run in Saucony for a couple of years in relative comfort. The Trabaco's were comfy for road running and dry trails but I went for the Gel Fuji Trainer 2 so I had a shoe that could hold it's own on muddy and wet terrain. I was not disappointed, they are without exception the best running shoe I have ever run in.

The sole has enough grip for most trails but isn't so technical that it prevents you from running on the tarmac in comfort if need be. I am a size 11 in a regular shoe and so I ordered the 11.5 and they fit like a glove. The only complaint I think people might have is that they feel too comfy, if that makes sense. They don't hug the foot like some other running shoes and there is room for a little movement around the heel. I think this is the result of the way the eyelets and laces have been designed. Having said that I have run 50+ miles in them so far (including a half marathon) and have experienced no foot issues, blisters, soreness, etc whatsoever.

They also have a hidden pocket in each tongue to hide away the laces which avoids them getting snagged and tangled up on the trails on which is a nice feature.

The colour scheme is interesting but to be honest that's the last thing I worry about when buying running shoes these days and anyway who's looking? :)
I would recommend the Fuji Trainer 2 for anyone running 25+ miles week, I will certainly be buying another pair in the future.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Running Gloves, 26 Mar 2013
I've been looking for a decent pair of gloves to wear for my regular runs and these fit the bill just nicely. I have worn them in temperatures ranging from 0C-3C with a wind chill temp of up to -6. Once your hands have reached optimum temperature these gloves keep them both warm and dry. The silicon grips are effective at preventing a phone or MP3 player from slipping out of the hands whilst being fairly unobtrusive as part of the design.

The 'touch' material on the finger tips and thumbs works well when operating touch screen phones and gadgets. The reflective detailing is a bonus that shows up nicely on darkly lit roads.

I am a size 'Large' and these gloves fit perfectly. I think that perhaps they would be a little too snug for an XL sized person but there is a little give in the material so I would recommend trying them out.

Once again a quality product from Under Armour that I use frequently along with their running tops and shorts which have at the moment few to rival their durability, wicking properties and comfort.

Driving Towards The Daylight
Driving Towards The Daylight
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 10.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonamassa is unstoppable, 13 Jun 2012
This record is yet another pinnacle of blues and rock guitar released by the ever greater Joe Bonamassa. He must be one of the most prolific writers and tourers on the planet and it is hard to see how much longer 'mainstream' radio and TV can ignore him.

This is soulful and smooth, whilst being a powerful blend of blues and rock, bursting with quality songs. Give the man a medal, he deserves it. If he's on tour near you, you'd be a fool to miss it. Go buy. Now.

Under Armour Escape 7" Woven Running Shorts for Men Black L
Under Armour Escape 7" Woven Running Shorts for Men Black L

5.0 out of 5 stars Under Armour Running Shorts, 8 May 2012
A great lightweight pair of running shorts that do the job with no fuss for an affordable price and good quality materials. I am a 33inch waist and got the large size which fit well.

There are 2 pockets either side (something which not all running shorts seem to incorporate) and these could hold a couple of gels, keys etc. no problem.

They have drawstrings on the waist in hi-vis yellow along with 'Under Armour' written down the side of the left leg also in hi-vis lettering.

Recommended.

*Update* Having worn these shorts for several months of regular running I can say that having undergone loads of washes in the machine and all sorts of weather conditions they are as good as the day I purchased them. I've run up to half marathon distances with no chaffing and found that the pockets either side will comfortably fit a gel without falling out despite them not having zips. They keep you cool in the summer and insulated from the wind in the winter and everything in between. I would not hesitate to buy another pair and recommend Under Armour Coldgear Tech Run Gloves to go with them for winter.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 8:41 PM GMT

Saucony Xodus 2.0 Trail Running Shoes
Saucony Xodus 2.0 Trail Running Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucony Trail Shoes, 8 May 2012
I have a pair of Saucony Pro Guide 5s which are a great shoe for general running purposes but I wanted something more rugged for the trails across the footpaths and fields that I run and these are just the job.

I am a size 11 but went with the size 12 to allow for that extra flexibility in line with the get-one-size-up school of thought. I have been suitably impressed - the Xodus is a flexible but stable shoe that feels great on tarmac or trail.

The insoles are memory foam and cushion the foot well without detracting from the feel of the ground underfoot. They are also removable and washable.

In fact with the recent record torrential rain I've been using the Xodus for all my running for extra grip and stability and they have lived up to their purpose very well indeed. I have run up to half marathon distances with no issues. I would highly recommend and will certainly stick with Saucony when its time to get the next pair.

The Ward [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
The Ward [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Amber Heard
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars The Ward, 28 Feb 2012
If you want a half decent thriller to watch that sits on the straight-to-disc shelf (despite The Ward having a limited cinema release) then I would recommend watching this film. I would add a disclaimer here - only buy it if you are a John Carpenter fan and want to add it to the collection.

The film isn't a particularly bad effort, it's just not that good either - and with Carpenter directing you would expect much more. There's no doubt that his last film Ghosts Of Mars lacked many things but still retained Carpenters stamp. The Ward could be anybody's film and that's not necessarily a negative - it just registers as a disappointment. And that's the problem here - In The Mouth Of Madness, Prince Of Darkness, They Live etc etc, all of these films leave a legacy that is hard to follow.

Amber Heard provides the eye candy but by the ending the very pedestrian plot has more than run it's course and it was something of a relief for me as a Carpenter fan when it ended. Here's hoping the next one will be a return to form...

The blue-Ray transfer is crisp, colours are vivid and the darks and lights of the asylum are dealt with well. There is some grain but this is likely to be intended and never detracts from the image. The sound is not demo quality but what else would you expect from a film which is largely dialogue based, and aside from a few very loud 'scary' moments is nothing special.

All in all an entertaining 90 minutes tinged with disappointment at what might have been.

Sony BDPS185B.CEK Compact Size Blu-ray Player
Sony BDPS185B.CEK Compact Size Blu-ray Player
Offered by eurosale-net
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-Ray Upgrade Option For Home Cinema, 18 Feb 2012
I recently purchased this Blu-Ray player and have watched a half-dozen discs so far. The image quality and sound reproduction I have found are excellent. I was looking for a blu-ray player that was compatible with my Sony DVD home cinema as it is still a great system and I saw no need to replace it, just upgrade. One reason to buy another sony product is that the player, unlike many other brands at this price, has a digital-out coaxial which simply connects the blu-ray to the home cinema digital-in via one optical digital audio cable (colour coded orange on Sony hardware).

It comes with internet apps which are a handy bonus but in all honesty I will probably only use the Lovefilm app (another reason to buy a sony product). One click and it connects with your existing Lovefilm account enabling you to stream films straight to your TV. Whilst initially sceptical at the kind of quality this would be I can report that the films play smoothly and with no noticeable delays or glitches. There is no WiFi at this price but then I have a cable connection already to my TV box so no issues. If you feel WiFi is a necessity then this player is obviously not for you.

The loading time for discs is negligible and there is no noticeable noise whilst discs are playing. The remote is small and compact and comes with 2 batteries. I have read reviewers stating that they are disappointed with the lack of connecting cables but really - what hardware actually comes with HDMI/optical cables out of the box these days?

I currently have it connected via HDMI to a Samusung 43" Plasma with great results and absolutely no issues. All in all a great value player for an excellent price which I am able to thoroughly recommend.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 10:53 AM GMT

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars A Competent Thriller That Fails To Spark, 23 Jan 2012
The title promises much - I took the plunge after hearing about the film currently in production for release in 2012. I enjoy comparing and contrasting novels with their celluloid interpretations and it is always interesting to see how a scriptwriter/director translates a novel to the screen, some more so than others with varying amounts of success.

The problem I have is that this novel simply doesn't fulfil its full potential. Historically it is interesting to read the synergy of fact and fiction and the first few chapters get off to a great start and gather momentum. For me the second half and especially the latter chapters begin to experience a drop-off in terms of character development and story with the ending seeming very rushed and crudely thrown together indeed.

There is some tense and enjoyable writing here and the way Lincoln talks about his family is at times heart-wrenching but overall I was a little disappointed.

Interested to see if the film can forge a more balanced experience.

Page: 1 | 2