Profile for J. M. Pease > Reviews

Content by J. M. Pease

J. M. Pease "peasej36" (Ashford, Kent. England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
West Coast Jazz - The Finest Selection
West Coast Jazz - The Finest Selection

5.0 out of 5 stars Super bargain compilation., 23 Jun. 2016
This is a super collection at a very reasonable price. My copy came from Germany. With the possible exception of "Take Five", "Speak Low" and "Black Nightgown" these selections have not appeared on previous bargain priced compilations. The general tempo on offer is slow to medium and makes for great late night listening. Some of the tracks can only be found on fairly expensive CDs (e.g. Phil Urso) and although I have a fairly large collection of this genre, a pleasing number of cuts were new to me. The sound quality is first class but there is no real discography information. Thankfully, I found what I wanted by trawling through Google but must warn that Zoot Sims does not appear on track 14 and Howard McGhee does not appear on track 21. Highly recommended.

The Complete Storyville Broadcasts + 2 Bonus Tracks (3CD)
The Complete Storyville Broadcasts + 2 Bonus Tracks (3CD)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Super early Brubeck, 21 Jun. 2016
Superb early Brubeck from the pre-Morello era - my personal favourite. Well worth buying for all like. minded fans. My only rider to other reviews ins a minor one namely that the last track on CD 1 is not a June 1955 cut from Carmel but the earlier 1952 studio recording from 1952 featuring Brubeck/Desmond/Ruther (b) and Lloyd davis (dms)

East-West Jazz Septet - On Tour 1956
East-West Jazz Septet - On Tour 1956

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice music but live?, 12 Feb. 2016
This group consists of Conte Candoli, Kenny Dorham,Phil Woods, Al Cohn, Hank Jones, John Simmons and Kenny Clarke so is more East than West coast. The programme consists of 12 original tunes penned by Ernie Wilkins and Manny Albam ( six each). So far so good but we are expected to accept that these were recorded live during a nation wide tour. Frankly, I do not believe it. The recording quality is far too good for concert versions and the applause sounds phoney and, at times, ill placed. This is a shame as there is much to admire here and a straight forward studio cut would have got 5 stars.

Gerry Mulligan
Gerry Mulligan

4.0 out of 5 stars Like all compilations it is a bit of a curate's ..., 30 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Gerry Mulligan (Audio CD)
I bought this CD from an Amazon supporting dealer at a bargain price. Like all compilations it is a bit of a curate's egg but well worth seeking out from the same source as the sound quality is first class. Track 1 features Mulligan with Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond in concert from 1972. Like a lot of concert tracks it is far too long. Brubeck also backs Mulligan on track 13 from another gig minus Desmond. Tracks 4,6,8,9, and 11 are by the Mulligan/ Chet Baker quartet of 1952/53. Track 3 is Mulligan and Desmond from 1957 - Track 7 Mulligan with Ben Webster from 1957 - Track 10 The Concert Jazz Band featuring Bob Brookmeyer and Zoot Sims from 1960 - Track 12 with Scott Hamilton from 1985 and Track 15 with Brookmeyer in Paris in 1954. There are two "ringers" present. Track 5 is by the Teddy Wilson Trio only (I had hoped it was a missing track from their Newport date with Mulligan as, probably, did the compiler). Now I know that Annie Ross recorded with Mulligan but this is not the case on track 14. This is her famous "Twisted" from the early 1950s with a group of guys I have never heard off. I have a big collection of Gerry Mulligan music but picked up four cuts I had not heard before.

West Side Story Jazz Impressions - Unique Perspectives
West Side Story Jazz Impressions - Unique Perspectives
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars I was lucky enough to see the original London stage production in 1959 and have loved the music ever since, 9 Aug. 2015
This issue caught my eye a few months back but, at the time, I thought it a bit pricey. It has since been reduced. I was lucky enough to see the original London stage production in 1959 and have loved the music ever since. This double CD is sub titled Jazz Impressions - Unique Perspectives but, be warned, not every track is jazz. Disc One kicks off with 5 tracks from Andre Previn/Shelly Manne/Red Mitchell trio. These are hugely enjoyable. Next up is excellent 5 tracks from the Cal Tjader big band arranged by Clare Fischer. This is followed by 4 tracks from the Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond/Eugene Wright/Joe Morello. These are enjoyable without reaching any great heights. Next up it is Stan Kenton's take on 4 tunes. To be honest, I find some of this exciting and some of it a bit bombastic. The disc closes with Annie Ross singing "I Feel Pretty" with the Gerry Mulligan Quartet. This is from one of the truly great jazz vocal albums.
My problems with this release come on Disc 2. First we have the Marian McPartland trio playing "Cool". I have always likes her work and this does not disappoint. Track 2 is by someone called Luis Mariano and tracks 3-6 by The Ramin-Kostal Orchestra. These have no jazz content. We then come to, what is in my opinion, the highlight of the release, three quite wonderful tracks from the Oscar Peterson Trio (Ray Brown & Ed Thigpen) from their West Side Story album. I can usually leave or take Oscar P. but may well buy that album. Tracks 10 to 13 have no jazz content but the CD finishes on a high with 8 tracks from a fine Manny Album band containing the cream of New York jazz men from 1957. I would say this release is well worth getting as the genuine jazz content far outweighs the other stuff.

Second Chance ( 2nd Chance )
Second Chance ( 2nd Chance )
Dvd ~ Robert Mitchum
Offered by DVD STORE SPAIN

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent film - poor quality, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Second Chance ( 2nd Chance ) (DVD)
First the good news. Any film starring Mitchum, Palance and Darnell and directed by Rudolph Mate can't be all bad and this is a decent film of the superior "B" movie genre with a good white knuckle ride ending. Now the bad news. This was originally a black & white film but some hero has decided to "colorise" it. My copy presented a very wishy washy print and occasional far from perfect lip sync. I am sure a far better version will appear at a later date so my advice is to wait until then. ( or was I just unlucky?)

Catalogue de timbres de France 2014
Catalogue de timbres de France 2014
by Arthur Maury

5.0 out of 5 stars Super catalogue, 5 Jun. 2014
An absolute must for collectors of French stamps. This 1000+ page soft back colour catalogue covers France only. (I think the Colonies are subject of another catalogue). Almost every stamp issued up to to including 2012 is shown. All at a price less than half that of British publications this is a must have book.

Essential Jazz Masters
Essential Jazz Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brown Gold, 22 Dec. 2013
This download offers 47 tracks for the grand sum of £1.79 and includes all of the tracks from two of Brown's finest sessions. Unfortunately they are scattered all over the place so I hope the following may be of help:-
Tracks 40/2/15/3/25/29/30/33/21/19/13/39 is the playing order of "Les Brown's Jazz Song Book" recorded in the period March to May 1959. Brown's usual line up is supplemented by Buddy De Franco/Zoot Sims/Frank Rosolini/Terry Gibbs/Mel Lewis etc
Tracks 37/22/23/40/1/26/34/32/4/7/14/28 is the playing order of "Les Brown's Swing Song Book" recorded in January 1959.
A visit, via Google, to Blue Sounds - Lone Hill jazz - gives both complete line ups.
I have not yet been able to pin down the remaining tracks, most of which are pretty good, but suspect they come from the same period. Sound quality is fine. Highly recommended.

Broadway Ballet Music - West Side Story & Ballets U.S.A. (Digitally Remastered)
Broadway Ballet Music - West Side Story & Ballets U.S.A. (Digitally Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz tinged classics, 17 Dec. 2013
This is a fine re-issue of a 12 inch LP that appeared in the early 1960s on, I seem to recall, the Warner Brothers label. The West Side story music is well known so I will content myself by saying that the saying that these are super versions of the ballet music from what is surely one of the best musicals of all time.
The first 4 tracks on this issue are from Ballets USA - New York Export Opus Jazz by Robert Prince. A mixture of 1950s classical style music with heavy jazz overtones, Think in terms of Stan Kenton, John Lewis plus a touch of Johnny Dankworth. I love this music and recommend it without reservation.
Mr Prince obviously had a large orchestra at his disposal but I'm sure it included some well known jazz men. I'd like to know who they were.

Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music (Mono Version)
Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music (Mono Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked classic, 21 Nov. 2013
This album first appeared in the UK on the Top Rank/Laurie label and is probably the finest body of work produced by this French pianist. All six tracks are Peiffer originals and include the haunting and very personal "Poem for a lonely child" written in memory of his own lost retarded son. He re-recorded this tune years later as a solo offering but I think this the better of the two. In some of his work his extraordinary technique can overwhelm but here, accompanied by Gus Nemeth (b) and Jerry Segal (dms) this does not happen. This collection has long been a firm favourite of mine and I'm delighted it is now available on a CD with good quality sound. Highly recommended to lovers of the jazz piano.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8