ARRAY(0xb46d6e04)

Profile for M. Ahmed > Reviews

Content by M. Ahmed

M. Ahmed "Mubbisher Ahmed" (Swindon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Denver DSB-100 2.1 Surround System Home Cinema Sound Bar
Denver DSB-100 2.1 Surround System Home Cinema Sound Bar
Offered by 3wisemonkeys Ltd
Price: 59.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Configuration & setup probs/rectification/Deciphering LED lights/review of system, 20 Sep 2012
Once the system is set-up correctly (faults rectified (if any)), the system does perform excellently. The sound is rich and crisp. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The account below is my experience of fault diagnosis, rectification and explanation of system LED lights (No on-screen menu for control purposes, LED lights act as guide). 3wisemonkeys support is excellent via email (prompt replies) & excellent diagnosis, rectification & prompt dispatch of alternative product if diagnosis confirms faulty product.

I received the package and it was very well protected/packaged. I set the Speakers up as per the manuals (Speakers/TV) but the system did not work. I emailed the 3WM & the remote test I was asked to undertake, confirmed that the remote was faulty (Naked eye cannot view remote LED, use digital camera LCD to view whether you can view the light - 1st try a remote that works to confirm that you can view the light (aim remote at Digital camera LCD and press any button), 2nd aim faulty remote at Digital camera LCD and press any button. If you can view an emitting light, remote is fine, if not, remote is faulty).

As the test confirmed that the remote was faulty, 3WM promptly dispatched a replacement remote for next day delivery. The new remote confirmed that the system was working fine. When I plugged in the AUX in cable to my phone, the playback was fine and the sound was excellent. However, when I attempted to plug the system into my TV (Via AV/Headphone/Coax out & Sub woofer output), the sound was muffled and crackly (Almost as if there was interference moving the sound bar/sub woofer had no effect).

3WM advised me with a solution to convert the coaxial audio output on my TV to standard RCA phono connection and explained that would allow me to hear whatever was playing in to my TV (i.e. Sky, DVD, BluRay, Xbox etc) the audio would then come out of the DSB-100 system. That lead would have cost 10-15 & I wasn't sure that the solution would work. So, I took a trip to Maplins with the manuals for both TV/Speakers. There advisor advised me a solution that I thought was good - Plug the RCA direct into the Audio on the rear of the Sky box.

Obviously, the only drawback will be that if I want to use the system when watching a DVD etc the audio will not come from the DSB-100 (I don't use a DVD player as I use 'live streaming' via Netflix). There are 3 AUX at the rear of the system anyway, so if I decided to plug in a DVD, I could use the one spare I have left for that purpose.

The manual is quite poorly written and has no explanation of how the LED lights on the base of the sub woofer work (Aim the remote at the sound bar to work the system).

Power on (Switch power ON by moving switch on rear to ON position) - Constant RED
System Standby (Switch on rear in ON position & remote control power button pressed to OFF) - Flashing RED
Mute - Flashing BLUE
AUX1 - RED
AUX2 - BLUE
AUX3 (IPod, phone, mp3 player, other audio device) - RED/BLUE (ish)
Increase/Decrease volume (Appropriate light according to AUX selected will flash)
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 1:35 PM BST

Master the Moment: Fifty Ceos Teach You the Secrets of Time Management
Master the Moment: Fifty Ceos Teach You the Secrets of Time Management
by Pat Brans
Price: 12.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Time management, complete with how to make that a habit!, 16 May 2012
Although this book did not contain much that I had not read elsewhere, it was still a good read. It has 'real life' feedback from many top CEOs such as Richard Branson and Michael Dell, packed with their unique insights. I found that it was a good 'refresher' course on many things that I had forgot about 'Time management.'

For people who need a good book on 'Time management', look no further. It provides good exercises to firm these good habits, while providing an enthusing read!

The End of Poverty: How We Can Make it Happen in Our Lifetime
The End of Poverty: How We Can Make it Happen in Our Lifetime
by Jeffrey Sachs
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A global 'nation changer' and proof that one man can make a difference, 16 May 2012
I bought this book on a recommendation and wasn't really sure whether I wanted to read a book written by an economist. Well, this book is a true 'eye opener.' Jeffrey Sach's account is well written, enjoyable and doesn't hold back any punches. His main conclusion is that poverty can be alleviated globally but 'Richer' economies' lack the will to make any serious inroads to tackle the problem.

It also highlights the bad decisions and policies followed by the 'western leaders' and his hypothesis that even 'current backlash against the west' could have been dealt with far more effectively, if a concerted effort had been made to eradicate poverty.

A compelling, powerful and moving account, together with a blueprint for the future.

Future leaders, such as Imran Khan (Pakistan), would be well placed to read this book as Jeffrey Sachs needs to be on any team serious about changing the plight of it's people.

Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning To Attract Wealth, Health And Happiness
by Esther and Jerry Hicks
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Read, action and invite the law of attraction to work for you, 16 May 2012
This is a very readable book and explains in detail how the law of attraction works and can work for you. I liked the fact that it covers a wide variety of 'real life' scenarios and how to apply the methods learnt to those scenarios and how to take the maximum benefit from them.

Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
by Tom Peters

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-imagine business life without Re-Imagine!, 3 July 2011
"Tom Peters continues to challenge the way business is conducted. The definitive business guru and someone who I would like to meet personally, has influenced my life in a variety of ways, ever since my university days.

I haven't read many of his books as I have always had a lot of exposure to his innovative, thought leading articles regarding business in the Harvard Business Review but I thoroughly enjoyed Re-Imagine.

Re-Imagine was a worthy read & will stay in my mind for years to come."

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less
by Richard Koch
Price: 8.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction and application of the 80/20 principle, 30 May 2011
This is a good book for anyone who has previously not encountered the 80/20 principle. Packed with plenty of examples to get the uninitated started. A good book but perhaps better 'skimmed' by those who know about this principle/rule.

Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
by Louis V., Jr. Gerstner

4.0 out of 5 stars IBM Leader or corporate villain? You decide..., 27 April 2011
"Watch the turtle. He only moves forward by sticking his neck out."

Louis V Gerstner, Jr (1942 - ) IBM CEO 1993-2002

The above quote quite aptly describes his work ethic. A leader who was not afraid to upset the apple cart by introducing massive change to an organisation such as IBM. His effort being rewarded by rescuing IBM from the brink of disaster.

Louis Gerstner started his working in life with McKinsey & Company in 1965, joined American Express as their Head of Travel related Services Group in 1977 and accepted the CEO's position of RJR Nabisco in 1989.

I really liked Louis Gerstner's very own style of writing and the way that he turned around IBM. In 1993, IBM was losing market share and perhaps on the verge of bankruptcy. Louis Gerstner accepted the job and walked into this situation without really knowing whether he could revive IBM to its glory days. A job he completed remarkably well, considering revenue generation and profitability during his tenure (other change initiatives may well have been considered controversial by IBM employees, such as the culture change, especially the 'job for life' ethos with associated perks etc)

I will finish off the review with a sign in Louis Gerstner's office, again stamping his work ethic:

THERE ARE FOUR KINDS OF PEOPLE:

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
by Lance Armstrong
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Champ, cancer, true friends and professionals, 4 April 2011
I just couldn't put this book down!

A right riveting account of a champion's fight with cancer and the social and business relationships that were supportive and the one's that left him for dead.

If you think you have insurmountable problems, wait till you get half way through this book!

The Naked Leader
The Naked Leader
by David Taylor
Price: 11.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Some unique, focussed viewpoints, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Naked Leader (Paperback)
Interesting leadership book with some unique perspectives that I hadn't come across in other leadership books that I have read. Interesting writing style, as I read the book as it had been written that meant that I did not have a clue, how far I was to the finish line.

I recommend this book for its unique writing style and the focussed unique viewpoints, for which the book has to be read.

Who Runs Britain?: and Who's to Blame for the Economic Mess We're in
Who Runs Britain?: and Who's to Blame for the Economic Mess We're in
by Robert Peston
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and insightful, 23 Mar 2011
An eye opening perspective from Robert Peston that goes behind the scenes and offers an insight into the back office machine of politics, banks, millionaires and government. Very well written, thought provoking and insightful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3