Profile for Mr. R. Thakur > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Thakur

Mr. R. Thakur (London UK)

Vax S4 Grime Master Handheld Steam Cleaner
Vax S4 Grime Master Handheld Steam Cleaner
Price: 24.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Very confused how this could get positive reviews, 2 Jun 2014
Having received this and tested it, I was crushingly disappointed that it appears to do absolutely nothing to the dirt and needs refilling all the time. I'm now not sure whether all steam cleaners are this useless or just this one, but I actually cannot believe this product is on the market and apparently well reviewed, when I couldn't get it to even loosen dirt in any of the tasks I pitched it at, which weren't exactly heavy duty. It failed at getting rid of limescale and soap lines in the wet-room, failed cleaning the oven and spot-cleaning the carpet was also pointless and tedious. Are we using different products or something?

Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
by Christophe Felder
Price: 17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pastry book, 30 Oct 2013
I don't normally write reviews, but this book is utterly superb in its detail with incredible picture tutorials for every single recipe. I bought this book having been engrossed in the Great British Bake Off and having recently read the article on the BBC about Parisian Patisseries and it does not disappoint. It covers all the main techniques, patisserie classics and gives really good advice on what to do to get the best out of your ingredients. I now have new found appreciation for the art of a good Patissier!

Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Marble White
Samsung Galaxy SIII Smartphone (16GB, UK Sim Free Unlocked) - Marble White
Offered by Technoxpress
Price: 216.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Sep 2012
I bought a galaxy 3 to play with and possibly use as my primary phone, but in the end decided to sell it and going back to iPhone 4S. It was quite a nice phone, although the big screen really shows the fuzziness of text compared to the retina display in the iPhone or the htc one x, and the colours and all wrong. The main issue was that a lot of apps which I need simply don't exist on android yet and others that do exist seem like they are missing key features. Without the apps, this very powerful phone is under utilised and seems to use all that muscle trying to make Android appear somewhat fluid.

The other infuriating thing is getting music onto the device and playing it back. There is no easy to use solution like iTunes that just does everything. You are forced to drag and drop (yes, really) files like it was 2001 and this approach simply doesn't work very well for very complex playlists or tracks with the same filenames. Dragging the files over to copy also locks the whole phone even when you have incoming calls and texts, you can't look at them. I listen to a lot of language tuition tracks and not being able to skip back a track by triple clicking the remote is not on these days. I've tried all the iTunes substitutes and connectors and they all are deficient and amateurish compared to the Apple solution. I was shocked how something so basic and universal still is not done properly on android, do you all carry iPods as well as your phones? This is all the more annoying considering the tonne of useless features Samsung have added to try and make the phone seem innovative and 'designed for humans'. These features are almost without exception pointless and mind bogglingly unreliable, such as smart stay, photo share, beam, swipe to screenshot, the ridiculous motion controls, s-assist, face unlock, tap the top of the phone to go to the top of *certain* apps (lacks the elegant simplicity of Apple's, no doubt patented, solution)

Also, I would like to point out that the build quality is an absolute joke for a product costing 500. Flimsy plastic back and the home button is cheap and nasty which will likely break after too much use. After a couple of weeks use, all the buttons on mine had noticeably become much squished and less responsive. I also, incredibly, had dust under the optics in the camera. In 5 years of owning an iPhone, this never happened. The camera is impressively quick but the pictures look worse than iPhone ones and autofocus takes ages. The android OS itself is nice but very inconsistent I found, not made any better by Samsung using a different layout on this phone for buttons compared to what Google recommend.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 3:59 PM BST

Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Ceramic White
Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Ceramic White
Offered by Laptop Outlet UK
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish quality, 1 Sep 2012
Like the phone it is designed for, this case is cheap, flimsy and poor quality. When I finally got the galaxy 3 I was shocked at how incredibly thin and fragile the back is compared to the iPhone and knew I'd need a case to guard it, so i bought this. It lasted about 2 weeks and then fell apart. I would rate it zero if I could, this is a waste of fake leather and Samsung need to up their game to compete with the quality of Apple.

Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 13.38

1.0 out of 5 stars A very nice game...which I will never purchase, 16 Sep 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spore (Mac/PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've waited for this game for ages to come out, watching it progress favourably, and was all ready to buy it, but I was shocked to read in a review about the activation thing with Spore. After doing some digging on the net I discovered that the 'anti-piracy' policy of EA dictates that as a purchaser of the game you only get 3 Activations and then that it. You then have to call EA (the publisher) to plead with them that you aren't a criminal and that you did in fact buy the game. That disgusts me. As much as it is their right to defend their own intellectual property, I am also at liberty to decide that this is not in my interests as a consumer, and EA will only understand this when it hits their bottom line. For this reason, I won't be buying this game. Whatever your expectations of the game and its greatness, I urge you not to support EA in turning one-off purchases into a service that you rent and which EA can withdraw at any time. Its not right and its not in your interests to support this ethically bankrupt, anti-consumer business model. Do something against it.

Dyson DC14 Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner Silver/Lavender (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the fake reviews here, 26 Feb 2008
I bought this vacuum in trepidation, not knowing what to expect really but judging it solely on Air-watts. I'm pleased to say that its by fat the best hoover which I've ever owned and makes hoovering so much fun. I think there is a problem where people just don't read the manuals. You can't blame Dyson or the design for that, that's just your ignorance talking. The Mini Turbine I was very sceptical about, but it works very impressively in practice, as if by magic...My Dog didn't like it and ran the other way as soon as it turned on, but he's not really a vacuum lover :) Recommended and support one of the last great british companies. Can't wait to see what they come up with next, I just want to buy them all...