Profile for Beth > Reviews

Content by Beth

Beth (Cheltenham, UK)

Her Defiant Heart (The Marshall Brothers Series, Book 1)
Her Defiant Heart (The Marshall Brothers Series, Book 1)
Price: 2.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible story! Spoilers ahead, 8 Dec 2013
First I want to say I love Jo Goodman's books. I love her writing, her characters and stories. So I was really looking forward to this one. It's a republished version of a previous title and it has a promising premise. Jenny has been committed to an asylum and is in need of rescue. The book starts well, the descriptions of the the torture and sexual abuse she encounters in the asylum is vividly described and quite chilling. The fact that she saves herself made me very happy. She then goes on to gradually recover her mental and emotional well being.

As this a romance, what she obviously needs is a kind, caring and gentle man to help her in her recovery. Unfortunately what she gets is Christian Marshall, then most odious 'hero' I have ever come across. Due to the sexual abuse she has suffered, Jenny has a few misconceptions about sex. Rather than understand, Christian decides that raping her is the answer. Let's be clear here, it's not that she doesn't know what is happening to her. She clearly says no a number of time and actually fights him off. The first time he attempts it, he stops because she is sick (what a gent). The second time he succeeds mainly because she is drugged (he is aware of this) and so can't fight him off. He actually says to her (direct quote) 'what makes you think you still have a choice? .....We are in a whorehouse, Jenny Holland and you are the whore I choose'. The fact that she went to the whore house to deliver a message to him is apparently not important or relevant. Finally he attempts to rape her a third time, after shoving a loaded gun against her face.

If this was reality and Jenny was my friend I would have made her go straight to the police after the first attempt. Christian deserves to be locked up. Yes he has problems, he seems to have some form of PTSD from the war, but at no point does he seem sorry for the way he treats Jenny. And sadly, although I liked Jenny to begin with, she proves Christian right in that his rape of her does cure her! Not only does she seem to recover from her mental instability but she likes sex now! And of course he says he loves her, so that excuses everything that has gone on before. It all ends happily after and it made me feel ill.

I hated this book. It left me feeling dirty for reading it. I also believe it is very irresponsible to publish this sort of tripe when we have so many problems defining and punishing rape today. This book gives truth to the fallacy that women who say no don't mean it and they can be made it like it. Truly awful.

The Dangerous Lord (The Lord Trilogy)
The Dangerous Lord (The Lord Trilogy)
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual standard. Spoilers, 29 Oct 2013
I usually love Sabrina Jeffries' books, but I couldn't even finish this one. It was like an old fashioned romance in that the hero, Ian was an insufferable and arrogant boor. He forces his attentions on the heroine, Felicity because he wants to ruin her in revenge for some articles she has written. He does this knowing that this will devastate her life and social standing. And we're supposed to like this man? After he decides that he does want her for himself (she intrigues him!) he manipulates, stalks, seduces and then uses her poverty to force her to marry him. He also resents the time and love she has for her four brothers. In any other novel he would be the villain!

Luckily for him Felicity is a real insipid Miss. Although she talks big about wanting respect and love, she simply melts at his masterful touch and always gives in despite her promises to herself. Ugh. I rolled my eyes many times at her actions and reasoning, and in the end had to stop reading.

The other annoyance is the lack of historical reality. Ian is discovered kissing Felicity and then sneaks into her room to forcefully seduce her so she has to marry him (!) and once again he is spotted by, we are told, the ton's biggest gossip. But nothing is mentioned of it by anyone afterward. In reality (and other novels) Felicity would be ostracised completely.

All in all I cannot recommend this book. Read other by Jeffries, or Courtney Milan, Sherry Thomas or Julia Quinn. These have realistic, strong women falling for good, honourable men. Not arrogant rakes forcefully seducing silly girls.

Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, Book 6)
Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, Book 6)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to the series, 6 Jun 2013
Another fabulous book, this is one of my favourite series and I recommend it to anyone who loves a good action story. Can't wait for the next one!