Profile for Mr. G. Howden > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Howden

Mr. G. Howden "Geoff" (Debyshire, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2
Kidnapped- "Hatufim"-(homeland)- All Episodes the First and Second Season Hebrew- Israeli Tv Series 7 DVD English Subtitles
Dvd ~ asi choen
Offered by SycoBloom

5.0 out of 5 stars Homeland with integrity, 16 May 2014
Yes, Homeland IS hugely entertaining and well-acted, particularly by Clare Daines and Many Patinkin, but if you want believability and total immersion then Kidnapped is the superior series. The many relationships affected by the kidnappings of the title are beautifully structured and realistic and the tension never let's up because, initially we don't, know whether the returnees have been 'turned' and there us a mystery around what happened in their captivity. Confusingly, as others have noted series 1 is also available as 'Prisoners of War' but series 2 with that title is not available at the time of writing so 'Kidnapped' which contains both series 1 and 2 is the set to get.

Live from New York [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Live from New York [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gene Pitney

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Gene, 24 Feb. 2013
I bought this as a gift for my wife who is a big Gene fan. Whilst we hadn't expected too much from the reproduction quality of the visual part of this set, what both of us had not expected was that the performance was one of those that we previously categorised as the 'Elvis Syndrome' in which the artist dashes through a series of one-time hits at a rate of knots. The overall result is not enjoyable (and possibly could be described as exhausting) especially given that Gene was at the time capable - possibly unlike Elvis - of so much more. We were so disappointed that we have still not finished playing through it and possibly never will. We give it three stars because we really like Gene but if you're not a huge fan it would rate only two.

The Nat King Cole Songbook
The Nat King Cole Songbook
Offered by trec002

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Entertainment, 13 Feb. 2011
I should start by saying that its highly unlikely that I would give less than five stars to any of Sammy's Reprise albums and this is no exception but if you are looking for the quintessential Nat King Cole velvety atmosphere then this may not be the album for you. This was my first Sammy album purchase in the mid-60's: I had watched him on TV and, although not completely bowled over by the swingin' style, recognised there was an incredible talent on show. The 'Nat King Cole' banner swayed me to buy the album. When I first played it I was underwhelmed: too much swing and not enough romance was my first impression (Nat, of course, had by then ventured into a little more up-tempo music to capture the youth market, with huge success, notably with Ramblin Rose' (well, a little more up-tempo)).There are, of course slow tempo numbers as well and they are all given the Sammy professional treatment if not the Nat King Cole arrangement.

The more I played the album, however, the more I grew into it. Now I absolutely love it and its probably my favourite Sammy album, so much so that I often find myself singing the Sammy rather than the Nat version of many of the songs. One song to mention is 'Ballerina' in which Sammy deliberately sings a bass 'second show' out of tune but which comes across as absolutely brilliant. I'm singing it now! Love it, love it, love it!

Silverstar Phil Taylor 80% Tungsten Dart - Natural/Black, 22 g
Silverstar Phil Taylor 80% Tungsten Dart - Natural/Black, 22 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Darts for Everyman, 13 Feb. 2011
I only play darts occasionally and just for fun so am no expert. My son bought a board and received several sets of darts as presents for Christmas one of which was these from me. Both he and I are of the opinion that, of them all, these are the truest and easiest to handle - when we play there's a dash to nab this set first. I don't know about professionals, but for amateurs such as us they are well recommended.

The Classic Roy Orbison/ Cry Softly, Lonely One
The Classic Roy Orbison/ Cry Softly, Lonely One
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 'Big O', 3 Sept. 2010
I'm very much a late 50s, early 60s fan as this era saw me in my mid/lateteens which most people would say is the most enjoyable of their lives. I'm principally an Elvis fan but if Elvis was the complete package the Big O was the unique package - in appearance, in operatic voice and in song composition. This value-for-money double album from 1966 and 1968- particularly the later 'Cry Softly Lonely One' harks back 8 or 10 years and is perhaps why

Roy was not so successful in this period as the youth world had then moved on.For a fan like me the beat ballads
and slow romantic songs are as good as or better than those in Roy's early years. Just let me make believe'has a unique (guitar)backing which complemets the powerful ballad of the kind with which Roy made his name, but there are several other tracks on this album that are 'up there'.'Here comes the rain baby 'is a very slow ballad that showcases Roys gentle side whilst at least a couple of other tracks are up-tempos reminiscent of his biggest hit 'Pretty Woman'.

For those who, like me, enjoy this time, these albums are a must. For others, they are perfect examples of a voice that was sadly overlooked and should be revisited -the quality of songs and delivery are no less than his biggest hits.Buy!

Sinatra & Strings
Sinatra & Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Sinatra, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sinatra & Strings (Audio CD)
What's not to like? A powerful yet tender easy-listening album that no Sinatra-lover should be without and anyone who doesn't know Sinatra (is there anyone?)should try. If Stardust isn't the No. 1 popular song of all time then I'll eat my hat and to be sung by Sinatra is to hear a real treat, but my personal favourite on this album is Come rain or come shine. Then again, I could say that about any of the songs on this album.I love it: Sinatra at his mature best together with wonderful lush strings is a recipe for perfection.Nuff said.

Black Book [2006] [DVD]
Black Book [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carice van Houten
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrigue, actiona nd suspense, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Black Book [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD as someone interested in WW2 and the Nazis in particular,but selected it based on Verhoeven's reputation and its reflection of true events. I was not disappointed. This is probably the best WW2 movie I have seen and although I was impressed by the performances of all the main (unknown to me) actors, that of Candice van Houten in the lead role is mesmerising.This has everything that I want in a movie: suspense, intigue and action and a meaty story-line that keeps you enthralled to the end. Even my wife, who is not a WW2 afficionado, thoroughly enjoyed it.Recommended!

New Jersey State Road Atlas (American Map)
New Jersey State Road Atlas (American Map)
by American Map Corporation

4.0 out of 5 stars New Jersey Road Map, 14 May 2009
Having lived in NJ for a couple of years in the 70's, I wanted a relatively simple road map purely for referencing places I had visited. It is adequate for this purpose, with more detailed maps of the cities on/near the Hudson and less detailed maps of the 'hinterlands'.It is not a street directory, so it is not for anyone wanting the level of detail of an A-Z and I would say that it is less detailed than the equivalent AA Road Atlases in the UK. There is, however, plenty of information on places of interest, tolls on motorways, ferries etc.

Official Scrabble Words
Official Scrabble Words
by C Schwarz

4.0 out of 5 stars Scrabble words, 5 April 2009
If you are a real Scrabble afficionado or if you want the widest choice of words to use, then the Chambers book of Official Scrabble Words is probably not the edition for you. There is a wider selection of words in the Collins counterpart. Also at the time of writing, the edition has not been as recently updated as the Collins.
Where Chambers scores, however, is in the handy sections for two and three-letter words at the back. Lets face it, if, like us, you work to the edict 'if its in the book, its valid', then it doesn't really matter whose book you use as long as you use the same one consistently. This is especially valid when you realise that most of the additional words in Collins that I have come across seem to be very obscure indeed. There are a lot of them and it can be very educational. However, beware: if you go for Collins, you'll want the dictionary as well as there are so many words you'll be desperate to know the meaning of - and they don't appear in the Oxford English!.

Ideally, I would like to see the Collins edition with a two and three-letter word section: then we're cookin' with gas!

The Norman Conquests [DVD] [1977]
The Norman Conquests [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Tom Conti

4.0 out of 5 stars Norman's conquered, 7 Feb. 2009
If you love going to the theatre you will enjoy this - once you've got used to Tom Conte's character's initially manic personality and similar hairdo. If you want a movie-style treatment, it may be more disappointing.
Acted as a stage play, the performances of the two Penelope's and Richard Briers stand out as top-class examples of British comedy at its best. A triplet of plays with a triplet of stars to be enjoyed by the fireside with a glass of wine!

Page: 1 | 2