Profile for Mr. Alexander Collins > Reviews

Content by Mr. Alexander ...

Mr. Alexander Collins "xmetal loverx" (Maesteg, South Wales)

The Weak's End
The Weak's End
Offered by " Simply Mad About Music "

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves better than 'emo' labelling., 30 July 2007
This review is from: The Weak's End (Audio CD)
Theres very few bands in this vein that don't just get slung into the 'emo/screamo' catagorisation and written off as generic. They are much like 'no brain' action flicks, you'll watch (listen to) them because they are entertaining to the eyes (ears) but theres nothing to get excited about, no depth, its just...there (Silverstein, Hawthorne Heights, the list goes on and on but I can't be arsed!)

This band is definitely NOT a band to be written off in such a manner! They play 'screamo' which is so well thought out, so original. The vocals are passionate and brutal, the riffage is unique, the synths blend so well. This is an album that I've liked throughout my changes in musical taste. From my roots loving early FFAF, Finch and Thrice to my completely death metal obsessed taste now (BTBAM, Decapitated etc), I've always thought this album is awesome!

The Question (their 2nd album) is ok, but this album just blows it (along with 99% of the bands that could be considered int he same genre) out of the water. If you like screamo and you haven't heard this, BUY IT AND BE EDUCATED!

Alaska
Alaska
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Best...Band...EVER!, 7 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Alaska (Audio CD)
In my opinion this band is quite simply one of the best bands in any genre of rock/alternative music. They are unbelieveable! I saw them live and while they don't move around much they are album quality all the way, precise, tight as, heavy, generally one of the best bands I've ever seen live...and I've seen alot!

I have their 4 albums (including the covers album which is cool because it proves they can pretty much play any type of music they want better than alot of the bands that composed it originally!)

Silent Circus is alot heavier on the whole and while its composed similarly it doesn't meld between death metal, ambience, blistering solos, even emo at points quite as well as Alaska does.

This album is easily in my top ten of all time. I can't even make any comparison's to another band and if you see a cd that says 'buy this if you like between the buried and me' DON'T BOTHER! its a mistake I've made and you are ALWAYS left dissapointed.

this album and their music in general delivers so much! Its heavy and techinical with guitar parts and ambient sections which are just beautiful (track 4 and track 7 are perfect examples)

If you've never heard them and you like heavy metal/death metal then i suggest you buy this NOW! I can't help agree with the review below and say you will listen never to music in the same way having listened to this album as nothing will seem as good!

Killing With A Smile (N/A For Export To Usa/Uk)
Killing With A Smile (N/A For Export To Usa/Uk)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutal yet Catchy, 25 May 2007
I bought this album about a week ago and have given it a few spins. If you like Metalcore generally then I don't see how you can go wrong with this, it pretty much ROCKS! I've seen them live and they are tight as a pair of xx small briefs! Nice and heavy, some shouty hardcore vocal which melds pretty nicely with the general metal vibe (and some sweet movie quotes and chants to boot!)

I'd say if you like Bleeding Through (without the gothic keyboards) and It Dies Today (without the melodic vocals) with a splash of Unearth then you will love this!

Only reason I haven't given this 5 is because I've listened to ALOT of metal and I could pick the influences old and contemporary out easily which didn't exactly smack of originality but its still a damn good listen, as far as Aussie metal goes they whip I Killed the Prom Queen all over the shop!

THE MOUSE AND THE MASK
THE MOUSE AND THE MASK

5.0 out of 5 stars I luuuurve DOOM!, 16 May 2007
This review is from: THE MOUSE AND THE MASK (Audio CD)
I'd like to make it clear that while I like lots of music, on a basic level I'm a complete metalhead! There are a few amazing exceptions to this and MF Doom is one of them. This album is sweeeeeet! If you want to hear a truely talented MC then just listen to this (or any of his alter-egos for that matter, MF Doom, Viktor Vaughan, Mad Villain, King Geedorah, ALL AMAZING!)It puts any gangster rap or general commercial hip hop rubbish to shame! He creates beats and lyrics that should make anyone want put 'In Da Club' in da bin! If you like hip hop and you haven't heard this your mad because its truely innovative! Plus if you like Aqua Teen or any Adult Swim Cartoons, all the skits and interludes feature characters voices which is cool! If you like J5, Blackalicious, Ugly Duckling and Adult Swim (all of which I love), GET THIS!

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum!, 16 May 2007
This review is from: Bloodlust (Audio CD)
This band is awesome! I feel compelled to write a review of this CD because I saw them live a few days ago with Dead to Fall and they were amazing! (waaaaaaay better than Dead to Fall!) I felt like I was getting my ass kicked by music...in a good way! I think a fair description if you want to catagorise is Death Metalcore. Extremely catchy metal which manages to sacrifice absolutely no heaviness whatsoever! Lots of blast beats, beat downs and guitars which sound like machine guns (with some nice solos along the way for good measure!) Oh and there's not a melodic vocal in sight! I think anyone whose a fan of The Black Dahlia Murder and It Dies Today will love this!