Profile for Darren G. Burton > Reviews

Content by Darren G. Burton

Darren G. Burton "Author / Photographer" (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tell No One
Tell No One

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Tell No One (Paperback)
This is the very first Harlan Coben novel I read. After reading it I've been hooked on this author. This is truly one of the great crime novels from one of the best crime writers in the business. It's a cliche in the book wrld, but I literally could not put this book down.

I'm currently reading my fourth Coben novel and have two more on the bookshelf waiting to be read. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all.

The Final Detail
The Final Detail

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, Very Entertaining, 31 July 2008
This review is from: The Final Detail (Paperback)
This is the first of the Myron Bolitar series od Coben books that I've read, and the second Coben novel I've read (Tell No One being the first to get me totally hooked on this author).

Although I didn't find it quite as gripping as his first 'stand alone' novel, I did thoroughly enjoy reading this book with its endless twists and turns and witty dialogue.

I thoroughly recommend reading this book and all Harlan Coben novels. Great writer. Writing fiction is all about entertainment, and that's what Coben delivers successfully every time!

Just One Look
Just One Look

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Just One Look (Paperback)
Just One Look is the third Harlan Coben novel I've read (Tell No One and The Final Detail being the other two).

Although I don't rate this book as highly as the other two Coben novels I'd read prior, it was still an enjoyable read and kept me guessing. Twists and turns and keeping the reading guessing is what this kind of fiction is all about.

One thing I'll say for Harlan Coben: He has that knack of keeping the reader wanting to turn those pages. I've had a few sleepless nights readings his books so far. And I'll bet there will be more sleepless nights to come.

The Innocent
The Innocent

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet Another Page Turner From Coben, 31 July 2008
This review is from: The Innocent (Hardcover)
Harlan Coben never lets me down. Everything I've read from this author so far has really kept me guessing and turning those pages. That is the sign of a truly great writer of fiction.

I've read some not so favourable reviews of Harlan Coben novels, some stating that his books are too unbelievable and contrived. But that's the nature of the genre and fiction in general. "Fiction" means 'not real'. It also equates to stories being larger than life and rather neatly panned out. If they were too like real life, many stories would probably be rather dull and boring. Fiction books are like movies. They are the same thing, only in written form rather than visuals and sound.

It's all about entertainment and Harlan Coben delivers this, without fail, every single time.

Inca Gold
Inca Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Book!, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Inca Gold (Paperback)
Inca Gold was the first Clive Cussler novel I ever read.

From then on I was hooked.

It is one of the great adventure stories (and I'm partial to stories that involve ancient Spanish treasure). Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino are fun characters that work really well together. This book reads at a fast pace, is a real page turner (sleepless nights) and is a cracking adventure tale.

A must read for lovers of this genre.

Sahara
Sahara

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Much Better Than The Movie, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Sahara (Paperback)
I read the book first, saw the movie second. I loved the book but didn't go much for the movie. Maybe it was because Matthew McConoughy just didn't do it for me as the character of Dirk Pitt. He wasn't my vision of what Dirk Pitt looked like in the books or his persona.

But that said, Sahara is an entertaining read from start to finish. If you love the action/adventure/thriller genre, then this one is certainly worth a read.

Pacific Vortex!
Pacific Vortex!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Really Enjoyed This One, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Pacific Vortex! (Paperback)
Pacific Vortex was apparently the first book Clive Cussler ever wrote. Word is he didn't want to publish this one, but friends and family encouraged him to.

I'm glad he did.

I rate it as one of his most entertaining novels. It really keeps you turning those pages as Cussler had Dirk Pitt carving through the story at a rapid pace.

The Dirk Pitt series (and all Cussler books for that matter) are entertaining and a lot of fun to read.

Reading fiction is all about entertainment and escapism. Clive Cussler always manages both.

New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
by Eckhart Tolle

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes You Think, 31 July 2008
This work not only gives you an insight in Buddhism, it really gets you thinking about life itself.

Books like this one always manage to grab our attention and hold it, as we humans are always looking for answers in our lives and the reasons for our very existence.

Darren G. Burton

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff-- and it's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
by Richard Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sweat, 31 July 2008
I've owned two copies of this book over the years. The first copy I lent to a friend who in turn lent to a friend and so on. Needless to say that this great little gem of a book never found its way back into my eagerly waiting hands.

I've purchased another copy since then and read chapters from it from time to time. We all tend to stress about the little things in life, and I'm no different. Whenever I find myself getting unduly frustrated or uptight, a read of this book always helps me put things back into perspective.

I'm a firm believer in not sweating the small stuff: Not just the book, but the principal of it. Life's way too brief and fleeting to always be tied up in minor details and insignificant issues. Save it for the big problems, I say.

This is a handy little guidebook that does well to serve as a constant reminder to keep things in perspective. I believe every household should have a copy of a book like Richard Carlson's 'Don't Sweat The Small Stuff".

Darren G. Burton

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not
by Robert T. Kiyosaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Worth The Read - Inspirational, 31 July 2008
I first read this book about seven years ago. I still have a copy in my bookcase and will always keep it.

Whether one is into making money from real estate or not, this book is quite an inspirational read and well worth taking a look at. There are some very important life lessons contained in the pages; lessons about what's more useful in life, lessons that definitely aren't taught in most schools.

We all need education, sure, but we also need to learn how to be survivors in a very competitive world and develop business smarts and not just academic ones. Our minds need to be more free and open to opportunities and possibilities. Sometimes the systematic approach of the education system tends to make us all think rather compartmentalized rather than projecting our minds and visions outside the square.

The overall message and information Robert Kyosaki provides in this book will benefit just about everybody.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4