Profile for R. J. Hole > Reviews

Content by R. J. Hole

R. J. Hole (England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Bose  FreeStyle Earbuds - Ice Blue
Bose FreeStyle Earbuds - Ice Blue
Price: 114.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Clear Earbuds, 21 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, great sound. I compared the sound to some older earbuds by Sennheiser, and some older headphones also by Sennheiser. Even though I paid quite a lot for these a few years ago I would not swap the Bose Freestyle for either. The spaciousness that you get from these is remarkable. The buds are also surprisingly comfortable and when you have them in you do not really notice them.

Lifeforce
Lifeforce
by Colin Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Buffy, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lifeforce (Paperback)
I enjoyed this novel. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's an engaging read. Colin Wilson used a lot of his research on vampires and blended it with a story about space exploration to produce a ripping yarn.

TP-Link TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit
TP-Link TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit
Price: 36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use and effective, 26 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basically I plugged these in and they started working. I connected it to my PlayStation 3 and was able to view films in HD 5.1 via streaming services like Netflix and Lovefilm. I hadn't been able to do that before because it was difficult to get a wireless signal in that particular room. Now I get a very good picture with no apparent lag.

Just to clarify if needed, these plugs do not carry a wireless signal. For example they don't boost my smart-phone in the room where the signal is weak.

The Telegraph All New Big Book of Quick Crosswords 1 (The Telegraph Puzzle Books)
by THE TELEGRAPH
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars 152 pages of solutions, 7 Mar 2013
My grouch about this is that the solutions are the size of a book in themselves. Holding the book in bed with 303 puzzles is bad enough but the answers take up 152 pages and it is overly heavy.

In addition, there are errors, e.g. a clue is "19 Dominion (6)." but the light is seven letters. In fact the answer is given as "Empire" which meant that the last letter was not used. Perhaps that is a problem with "all new" crosswords, i.e. they are not compiled from the newspaper, which probably means less checking.

The level of the crosswords is not particularly easy - I've been stuck often enough.

Addendum: I'm upgrading my rating to 3 stars. 2 stars was very mean. Some of the puzzles are quite devious. There are a lot of double meanings which makes it more of a challenge. As the back page says: " ... cleverly crafted brain-teasers ...". If I do a crossword in bed I use a smaller book, and keep the tome for sitting at a table.

Having finished the 303 puzzles now I can say that overall the number of errors were few. So I am upping my rating to 4 stars because the quality of the puzzles are very good.

Memento [2000] [DVD]
Memento [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Tri Repetae, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Memento [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
This film needs to be watched three times, probably more. The experience the second time is much different to the first. As the story is told backwards the punchlines come before the jokes!

AVES Aqua Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ Noise-reduction Mic Handsfree Phone Kit in Black
Offered by Audio Electrical
Price: 12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Aves Aqua, 7 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I seemed to be lucky because I set this up with the Aves Mercury and it worked fairly quickly. This fails or succeeds on the quality of the speaker. It is fairly small and one can't expect miracles but allowing for the size of the unit the sound seems OK. As a portable device perhaps it will be good enough depending on what your expectations are. But if you have a stereo player nearby you would use the Aves Mercury to connect it to and thus get a bigger sound.

Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver
Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Connect with USB & Bluetoothe, 7 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried this in a car by connecting it with the USB cable. I selected a play list and it played without any problems. Also tried it at home using my phone which also worked fine. I want to set up music streaming on a server too but haven't had the chance to set it up yet. This product should be useful for someone with many several music devices around the house then just plug into the nearest device.

Collins Complete Puzzle Solver (Reference)
Collins Complete Puzzle Solver (Reference)
Price: 10.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Synonyms, 22 Feb 2013
I quite liked this book to start with. Then I bought the Chambers Crossword Dictionary and that has been my first choice for a while. I use Bradford's Crossword Dictionary too but prefer the answers in length order. However, if looking for pure synonyms, this tome is probably better.

Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC)
Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe (PC)
Offered by hixxysoft
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to convert from Personal Ancestral File, 22 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Personal Ancestral File for many years and am fairly happy with it. I have discovered that to change would be too much upheaval. E.g. I create source records, e.g. census records, and link them to each individual that is referenced. Other products seem to work differently and so it would be difficult to change. Converting the PAF File does not give desirable results, not for me anyway.

Family Tree Maker is heavily linked to Ancestry.co.uk (or .com). You can build your whole family tree on the Ancestry website (or upload it from a gedcom file). This begs the question of whether you really need to buy Family Tree Maker. To get the best of either you need an Ancestry subscription.

Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Lists
Collins Bradford's Crossword Solver's Lists
by Anne R. Bradford
Price: 9.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Rarely Needed, 19 Dec 2012
I have rarely found myself reaching for my copy of Bradford's Crossword Solver's Lists (L). In contrast, Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary (D) is indispensable. Many of the answers in L are in D too. In fact sometimes they are in D but not in the equivalent list in L. In hindsight it was an unnecessary purchase for me. L would be better if it was not pure lists because a lot are duplicated in D whereas if there was more enrichment of the lists, e.g. rivers and country names side by side, it would be more useful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16