Profile for Mr. A. Heinzl > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Heinzl

Mr. A. Heinzl "Andreas Heinzl" (Inverness, Scotland)

Transporter Duffle/Protection Cover 70 Litre Charcoal/Rock
Transporter Duffle/Protection Cover 70 Litre Charcoal/Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Protect Your Rucksack, 15 Mar 2008
I got that bag late last year to see if I can protect my expensive rucksacks from being shredded on a plane. To test it my luggage was lost for a week in Heathrow and when I got it back there were plenty of visible signs that the bag was dragged and was sitting in dirt but no damage to the bag and the rucksack inside. Pretty good.

Petzl E02 P e+LITE Emergency Headlamp
Petzl E02 P e+LITE Emergency Headlamp

4.0 out of 5 stars Good emergency Head Torch, 15 Mar 2008
I bought this head torch only for emergency purposes and should not be considered as a main head torch for going in the hills. My e+Lite lives in my first aid kit and is quite handy to have in there. I have used it once in anger while out walking in the hills and someone forgot his torch. It has a lot of light settings with a dim beam, a high beam and strobe. The red light suppose to be for night nav without loosing the night vision. However, the red light makes contour lines on OS Landranger maps invisible. Other from that the button battery is good for summer nights but in the winter when temperatures can drop in Scottish hills well below freezing it wouldn't take long to stand in the dark again.

So good for an emergency but don't use it as a main head torch.

Winter Skills: Essential Walking and Climbing Techniques
Winter Skills: Essential Walking and Climbing Techniques
by Andy Cunningham
Price: 16.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for Winter Mountain Leaders, 15 Mar 2008
This is the best book you can get for becoming a winter mountain leader. Well, it's also good for people who just want to learn about winter mountain skills too.
There are all the necessary skills for winter navigation, building shelter, and climbing in winter. Best winter mountain skills book I have seen yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Best head torch I have seen yet, 5 Mar 2008
This is the brightest head torch I have ever seen. It comes with 4 settings (low beam, medium, high and strobe). I had the L1 since October 2007 and used it many time with night navigation and it saved my skin a few times. The high beam is very long and focused and helps going down steep ground at night. The only down side is that the button is a bit small and takes a little fiddling when you wear thick gloves. But show me a head torch that isn't fiddly with thick gloves.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not as good as BD says, 5 Mar 2008
It is a good head torch the small LEDs give a nice broad beam close around you and the high power LED give a good long beam. Black Diamond claims that it shines 80 metres and I compared it with a Silva L1 which shines 63 metres. It was clear that the Silva L1 shined brighter and farther than the Black Diamond Icon. It looked more like around 50 metres. Don't get me wrong, for what you pay it's a good head torch. However, it doesn't do what it says on the tin. So if you want a super bright head torch this is not quite it.

Hostile Habitats - Scotland's Mountain Environment: A Hillwalkers' Guide to Wildlife and the Landscape
by Mark Wrightham
Price: 15.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited nature book, 5 Mar 2008
This is what I have been waiting for a long time. Hostile Habitats has everything there is to know about the Scottish hills. All sections are explained in a way that normal mortals can understand it. There are sections about geology, plants, mammals, birds and human traces. The most important living things are explained individually. Very well laid out. Most of the wildlife parts can be also used for hills in Wales and England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb waterproof camcorder, 4 Mar 2008
I had a look out for a waterproof camcorder for ages. I do a lot of river kayaking and sea kayaking and need a compact waterproof camcorder/camera for that. This one is just the deal, I can film and take photos and the quality is pretty good. I use Adobe Premium Pro to edit the movies and even when I increase the size to 720x576 it still holds up nice. Watching the clips on the telly looks fine too.

Hill Walking: The Official Handbook of the Mountain Leader and Walking Group Leader Schemes
by Steve Long

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mountain Skills Book, 4 Mar 2008
This is just the book to have if you are into hillwalking in the UK hills. The good old Langmuir book was just a little too long winded and complex and never managed to get anything out of.

However the Mountain Leader book or the green book has been my bible when preparing for my Mountain Leader. Whenever I forgot something from my training I just pulled this book out from my shelf and looked it up.

I advise anyone interested in hillwalking to consider buying the Mountain Leader Handbook.