Profile for Hazzer J > Reviews

Content by Hazzer J

Hazzer J "Hazzer J" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
bybulldog® Keep Calm and Carry On Ladies T-Shirt British World War II Poster Spring Green Small 8 - 10
Offered by bybulldog

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin... and shirt!, 15 April 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend as a joke. Using prime, I had it arrive on her doorstep right before her exams started. At the price, I wasn't even considering the usual practical and quality checks I usually would. However, months on and she still wears it to bed most nights. It hasn't lost it's colour not has it started to degrade in any way. It also fits her beautifully as I hoped it would.

This was a good purchase and a decent quality piece of clothing.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The best in-ear phones I have ever owned... as long as they don't break again..., 15 April 2014
There is no two ways around it - the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones do exactly what they say on the tin. With a smooth rear end (which is deceivingly key to the way in which they fit comfortably within one's ear) and large rubber plugs, they can slot painlessly into your ear canal for hours at a time. And most importantly, through a simple rubber-sealed vacuum they eliminate 75% of noise from ever reaching your ear drum. This is obviously a trait of all plug-in phones, but a function which in my opinion this particular design does better than almost all others.

This function, combined with whatever sound you are playing from your device, makes them almost completely noise cancelling. On a plane, in a gym or on the underground, they always do their job. They have excellent audio quality to boot and balance the complete sound range nicely, even providing an substantial level of bass for their size. They never fail to impress.

That is, until they break. The jack end is bent at a 90 degree angle and for some unknown reason, despite the fact that they always seem to sheer and eventually break, Sennheiser have still not modified the design.

This is the only product that despite the somewhat high price tag, I cannot help myself but continually buying a new pair every two years. They are just that good, even if with constant use they cannot stand the heat. Considering it can be up to £200 for a custom pair of Bose which, whilst have moderately better sound quality, do not provide substantially better noise cancelling. The Sennheiser's are an odd mix, and if taken great care of could be the best value pair of phones you ever buy.

Karabar 55 x 40 x 20 cm Cabin Approved Bag (Brown)
Karabar 55 x 40 x 20 cm Cabin Approved Bag (Brown)
Offered by Karabars UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my fashion-snob friends were trying to pretend they weren't impressed..., 15 April 2014
It is not often that I would default to an online retailer to buy something which is so inherently personal as a bag. I'm hardly trend obsessed, but I do appreciate that if a bag is going to travel all over town - or indeed the world - at your side, it has to balance function and fashion perfectly considering its visual impact and utility.

I was in a rush and did not have the luxury of browsing bag shops and so went out on a limb with Amazon, my usual one-stop-shop for media and the odd Christmas gift. Having narrowed my selection down to the Karabar and a couple of others, I picked it based on it's ability to double as a hold-all (according to other reviews). It arrived in a deceivingly flat-packed parcel and I was understandably sceptical. I could not have been more wrong.

I'll start with the negative: it could do with more pockets. Yeah, that's it. I like pockets, what can I say, and it only has one large one on the front and a large, internal zipped one inside. However, this is enough to segregate the vitals and also protect your valuables whilst travelling (passport etc.) behind two zips (outer and inner) which gives me the required peace of mind.

And now to the positive. The classic brown "leather" and green "canvas" design (alternative materials have been used I'm sure) give the bag a wonderfully chic feel without becoming try-hard retro like so many weekend bags of similar price.

The inner lining is your typically tough, splash proof black nylon (I think). Whilst woefully dull to the touch, it will mostly be hidden behind the bag's contents and serves as the basis for the hold-all if you feel obliged to fill it with sharp-edged mementos and/or old clothes and stuff it in a cupboard for months at a time.

The hand grips do not fasten together which I personally note as being a plus (I find unattached poppers or Velcro to be an eye-sore myself) and are tough and comfortable enough to carry over distance. The shoulder strap is a typical thin strip design which is the only part of the bag I would replace if budget were not an issue. One cannot expect a padded design at this price and therefore I would hardly complain, but if your intention was to buy a bag solely to carry long distances with heavy objects, I suggest you factor in a replacement strap or consider an alternative bag altogether.

I have friends who have worked in high-end retail all their lives and they could not help themselves from picking it up and sniffing it like a truffle pig when I turned up. I love pretty things, but I don't believe that my entire wardrobe needs to match the value of my house. Leather or not (not in this case), it meets quality and durability standards far beyond what it costs. They assumed it set me back over £100 and naturally I was more than happy to correct them. This is an excellent and good value product and whilst I cannot speak for the rest of the Karabar range, I can confirm that if this one were lost or damaged outside of my control, I would likely go out and buy another.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2016 2:32 PM GMT

ARCTIC Breeze Mobile - 92 mm USB Fan for Everywhere - Perfect for Notebooks , Laptops , Netbooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless if your USB dock faces the wrong way..., 25 Dec. 2013
I asked for this little gizmo for Xmas and excitedly sat down at my work station to give it a go. I work with my computer so have half a dozen different places to plug in a USB. The first was the side of my monitor but unfortunately they all had the fan facing the wall. And as the fan head doesn't spin round (I tried - trust me - it doesn't) I gave up on that pretty fast. Next was my USB hub on my desk... same thing. Thirdly was the front of my computer... but as that is about two feet from my face, there was little to no effect.

I even went to adjust it whilst it turned and found that I had to treat it like a hungry gerbil trying to nip my finger - that is, very carefully! You have to manipulate it when it is off, or carefully reach around behind it. It's no big problem, just worth noting there is no switch.

The build feels solid, aesthetically it is attractive and functionally it performs pretty well for its price. But the simple fact is, if your USB slots on your PC/laptop facing upwards or toward you (ie when you insert any USB device, the two empty square holes are visible, it will suit you well. But if your USBs face the other way, as it would seem many do, short of buying an extension/adapter no amount of twisting its flexible neck will get you where you need to go.

PC Prankster USB stick for computing shenanigans
PC Prankster USB stick for computing shenanigans

5.0 out of 5 stars For £7 this little gizmo is like gold dust..., 26 Sept. 2013
When I got it (once I'd properly figured out how to use it) I tried it on everybody in my family, most of my friends and eventually my colleagues (by far the most fun). Old or young, savvy or not, it works on them like a charm if you are there to act in shock at their side.

The wheel on the side indicates how long it takes to kick off once plugged in or the machine is booted up, however it doesn't have a guide in minutes so it can be quite sporadic. It's best to plug into the machine of somebody who you know is going to be sitting near you on the computer to half an hour or more. That way you can forget about it until the cry out in surprise. Then you can fake innocence (and of course interest as you try to help them get the the bottom of what is going on).

The switches on the side will allow you to turn on / off random mouse movements, random typing and function keys (ie caps lock) turning on and off. All have their uses, but the random typing on its own is by far the funniest as it flips between random letters and messages such as "I'm watching you" and "it gets lonely being a computer". In my experience everybody acted differently from downright panic that some super hacker was targeting them to thinking a virus had infected them.

In reality, you pull it out and everything stops. No lingering effects and no software installed. All in all, at £7 it may not be the cheapest prank you can play on someone, but it is likely the best value.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Silver
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, flawless ergonomics, OUTRAGEOUS build quality, 4 July 2012
The best earphones, low-end or high-end, I have ever purchased. Shame they break so easily.

I am now on my fourth pair of these earphones and somewhat stuck in a rut. With these earphones, I have come to rely on two key things:

1. These earphones make use of the rubber plugs made popular over the past few years that provide a cheap alternative to noise-cancellation. The plastic back of the part that fits in your ear is of a smooth and comfortable design, meaning the plugs will wedge into and sit in your ear without aching for hours. This is a rare trait for ear

2. Even without music playing they perform like a normal pair of ear plugs. Noise is dulled almost to the point that it sounds like you are underwater. They really are quite remarkable as I have not yet experienced another pair of ear phones that provide the same effect. In reality it is the design of the universal rubber plug that fits on the end (I use large of the 3 sizes available) that is such ingenious design - Sennheiser have simply made excellent use of this by designing a pair of phones with a comfortable rear that allows the plug to be wedged into the ear-hole adequately enough that no air gap remains.

For £26.99, no other pair I have bought come close. But what does one do when they have bought 4 pairs, the combined price of which could have been invested into a high-end pair of Bose.

I think Sennheiser need to take a careful look at the build quality, specifically at rubber casing for the Jack, which is invariably where the break in connection occurs. If they sort this they will have one of the greatest products on the market. Until that point, their product will continue to get bombarded by angry buyers. If only it would break within six months of buying I would feel better able to write and get my money back. But as it stands I usually end up leaving it too long to the point that Amazon and Sennheiser don't want to know.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Xbox 360)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (Xbox 360)
Offered by Rapid-DVD

2.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT let the Bethesda Softworks label fool you..., 13 July 2011
To start off, this game has clearly been completely built on the engine of one of Bethesda Softworks' most successful titles: Gears of War. If you have read other reviews you will likely have discovered this already. Almost every aspect of the game copies the mechanics, yet unfortunately all together fails miserably. The budget of Gears of War was reputed to be something in the realms of £150 million + and I think it is fairly safe to say that this game quite simply wasn't. The graphics of the back of the characters' heads are very good (no jokes, it is the first thing my friend and I jointly noticed), but other than that all the visuals are dated with low quality textures and choppy animations. The game actually hangs during some of the early cut scenes if you can believe it, an immediate omen of worse things to come. The lighting is consistently lacking - if as a player you have to squint at the screen to distinguish an enemy from a wooden barrel, something has gone wrong during the development process. And with a total lack of map, one can guess quite how tedious the levels which are intended to be dark and claustrophobic become.

The combat is old school, and not in a good way. When you are presented with a game in which two of the four action buttons are light swing and heavy swing, it goes without saying that you immediately start combing the two to see what fancy combos you can make your character pull off. Again, one quickly will discover this is a waste of your time. Combo? What's a combo, the game will ask. You mash light attack for fast enemies. You mash heavy attack for big enemies. Woohoo. Stop me now or I might just die from excitement. It works for four hours on a £5 copy of Castle Crashers. It does not amuse me on a full priced, full length Xbox game.

The in-game banter between the characters, something of a staple for Gears of War, is amusing enough. Nothing special, but it is not worthy of a put down. The upgrades section allows your character to lean towards focusing on close attacks, ranged attacks or magic. This is always a massive plus in regards to becoming attached to your character and subsequently engaged in the game and further emersed in the world. But in reality it is most beneficial as a player to balance the character and simply continue to upgrade as points become available. Add this to the fact that the (supposedly) 2010 graphics are so lacking that it would be easier to become engaged in PS1 Tomb Raider game, and you will begin to understand why it is that the most important aspect of this game (that being the token RPG-immersion-factor) simply doesn't cut the mustard.

It is not the first time that a production company has taken an excellent game with perfected mechanics and decided to build a spin off on its success, focusing on an entirely different world. Following the Hollywood tradition of miserable failures of almost all sequels, the same applies with these types of games. You may WANT to like it (Gears of War with fantasy swords, monstrous Orcs and voluptuous elf girls in scant clothing, sounds like a winner!), but if you, like most gamers, have come to expect a certain solid standard in story telling and game playing, you just will not find it here.

If you really, really want to play it as it appears to tick every box on your perfect game list, find a free weekend with a mate and rent it. But do not expect to find Bethesda Softworks' best work under the covers. And if you do buy it (like my friend did, lucky for me), you will likely find your mind wandering onto calculating how many of your hard working hours you spent paying for the tragedy that is Hunted: The Demon's Forge.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2011 11:32 AM BST

Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones
Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinny sound and unreliable, however they do stay in your ears for hours, 1 Jun. 2011
I bought these earphones for the same reason that most people would consider buying them - for sports workout. The wrap-around cable enticed me as I find simple earplugs slip out when my ears get sweaty, the ear-clip phones don't allow the plugs to actually sit in your ear properly and the full sized earphones are simply too bulky to run with.

THE POSITIVE is that, with it's slightly unorthodox design, no matter how far I run, they stay in. A small clip attached to the cable also fastens it to your shirt so the motion of running does not swing the cable and cause additional annoyance.

THE NEGATIVE, however, rather outweighs the positive:

The sound quality, no matter what Joe Public writes on these reviews, is sub par. Slightly tinny, definitely lacking in base and maxing out the volume at a far lower level than even standard iPod earplugs, absolutely do not buy these earphones if you plan on them being your standard pair. If you think these produce sound of average quality, you simply do not know what quality of sound is.

The reliability. I am on my third pair now, and all developed the same fault. One of the sides stops playing audio. It will stop dead and never return, and with no obvious way to take it apart you can write the entire pair off. Amazon never got back to me.

All in all, I personally use these, and will continue to, as nothing else fits so well into my ear (like an earplug - blocks out most sound before even switched on thanks to the universal rubber plugs) and subsequently stays in after an hour or two of running.

However, you will have to continue to replace them as sooner or later they will break. And you will also have to own a second pair, otherwise your £200 iPod might as well be a £15 Sony Walkman.

Cambridge Dig300 2.25m Opt-Opt
Cambridge Dig300 2.25m Opt-Opt

1.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the poorest piece of hardware you will ever lay your hands on..., 16 Oct. 2010
The Cambridge Audio name has always been synonymous with quality, and naturally price, for many years. It was for that reason that I foolishly did not bother researching this item when I built a sound system in my lounge and simply purchased it out of necessity under the assumption that it couldn't possibly prove to be a weak link. I couldn't have been more wrong. I bought two of these cables, one for the TV to amp, and a second for my Xbox 360 to amp. The TV cable failed within a month or two with the actual plastic shroud around the tip disintegrating inside the TV's socket and to my horror forever ruined the socket in question. Thankfully this model of LG had a backup socket which I subsequently made use of. The Xbox cable, a year down the line, has now, whilst still in tact, failed completely. Quite how a cable with no moving parts can actually break is beyond me, other than utter crass failure in build quality. I felt I had to come on and write a review.
There are dozens of these cables available, some at quite reasonable prices as well. Whatever you do, do not be fooled by the mid range price and assume this cable to be a good middle ground. With both failing in two totally different ways, I would say it is hands down the worst piece of hardware I have ever had the displeasure of using.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2013 2:10 PM BST

Camb Dig300 0.75m Opt-Opt
Camb Dig300 0.75m Opt-Opt

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 3:29 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2