Profile for Wayne > Reviews

Content by Wayne

Wayne (Burghfield Common, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel (Culture series Book 10)
The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel (Culture series Book 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome (like hot dogs), 6 Feb. 2013
I really loved this one - my favourite Culture novels feature the ships in major roles and this certainly does. From the viewpoint of the Culture series this is one of my favourites but it assumes more knowledge about the Culture in the reader than others (such as Use of Weapons). For readers new to the Culture, perhaps this book might be better enjoyed after reading some of the other novels in the series, just to get the most from the back references and 'in culture' jokes in this book.

Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Dvd ~ Asa Butterfield
Offered by wantitcheaper

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D movie, 6 Feb. 2013
Looks and sounds great. I waited until I had this 3D edition before I watched the movie and it didn't disappoint. The 3D is part of the movie rather than a flashy extra.

Invero TPU Gel Back Case Cover for Apple Ipod Touch 5 (5th Generation)
Invero TPU Gel Back Case Cover for Apple Ipod Touch 5 (5th Generation)
Offered by MobySpares

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 6 Feb. 2013
Perfectly fine rubbery side and back case for an iPod5 for the price, although the screen protector that comes with it is very poor (has come off already).

D-Link DUB-H7/B Port USB 2.0 External Hub
D-Link DUB-H7/B Port USB 2.0 External Hub
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what I'd hoped, 6 Feb. 2013
Perfect little 7 port USB-2 hub. I'm using it as a kind of dock to my MacBook Pro 2010 so I only have to plug a single USB cable into it to link up all my various USB gizmos. One thing that is not very clear is that in order to charge an iPad3 using the fast-charge ports you actually have to disconnect the hub from the PC, which kind of renders it pointless for most charging use cases of this sort. As just a powered hub it's great so far, and very small compared to others I've used.

2 X Energizer CR2 3V Lithium Photo Batteries
2 X Energizer CR2 3V Lithium Photo Batteries
Offered by Everyday Electrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 12 Oct. 2012
I bought these to replace the battery that came in my home electrical mains monitor for my energy utilisation meter. Very good price and genuine product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright and good colour, 12 Oct. 2012
This is a purple laser with a well defined beam and very bright light. Works well to point at stars in the sky, giving a clear and obvious visual indicator of where I'm pointing.

Wow: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] [Region Free] [US Import]
Wow: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] [Region Free] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and good value calibration, 12 Oct. 2012
I bought this based on comments I read online and found it to be an excellent and easy to use HDTV calibration tool. It doesn't come with a manual but the online instructions are clear and easy to follow - it includes blue filter glasses to perform accurate calibration and even though I thought my TV picture was excellent it took a very slight adjustment to make it look even better using this tool. This is a 2D calibration tool but I put my TV into 'simulated 3D' mode and ran the calibration again to calibrate the 3D display (which was quite a bit different). I live in the UK and the product including shipping came very quickly, was very affordable and worked on my UK spec equipment.

Sony PlayStation 3D Monitor
Sony PlayStation 3D Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb picture terrible product reliability, 4 Jun. 2012
The display 2 and 3D is simply amazing. Sound quality is like a swarm of bees buzzing in a tin can strapped to the side of the picture; even if you plug in headphones you hear a constant loud hiss of white noise through the 'phones. This means that if you want to enjoy the sound from the game you need to buy the Sony virtual surround sound headphones that connect directly to the PS3 via their own special connection. You simply could not watch movies on this display without the additional Sony headphones. Sony Wireless Stereo Headset (PS3)

Worst thing of all is that less than 2 months after buying it the display simply stopped working (working fine in the morning, no picture in the afternoon or ever again). Looking online is it clear that these displays are fundamentally flawed in some way (many hundreds of people all saying the same thing, no picture, little flashing red light, throw it away) but NOTHING from Sony.

Shame, I really loved it right up to the point it stopped working.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2013 8:30 PM GMT

The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] [1997]
The Fifth Element [Blu-ray] [1997]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie excellent Bluray, 10 Oct. 2011
It's very pleasing to watch one of my favourite movies in such high quality picture and sound. My kids loved it too : [two little girls]

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom GO LIVE 1005 5" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries)
Offered by LCD & Plasma Service GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice when it works, 4 Oct. 2011
Summary: I've tried many different car satnavs, including built in ones costing thousands, and ones hired out by car hire firms, and this is probably the best personal in-car satnav on the market. Cynically, TomTom knows that the alternatives are so weak in comparison that they can let product and support quality slide.

Like all my previous TomToms this one is an excellent satnav with hugely valuable features (realtime traffic rerouting, lane change notification, google search, bluetooth handsfree phone operation) and regular access to updated maps. Sadly, it suffers from the same problem as all my other TomToms; incredibly unreliable operation and unbelievably poor customer service. The unit regularly crashes while in use (it just reboots for no reason as you are driving along) although a little less often than the 950 model; traffic updates can sometimes just not appear at all, even for the whole journey (a hard reset usually sorts this out). My unit was shipped with the wrong mount, but rather than replacing the non-magnetic mount with the one that is advertised and even documented in the box, they chose to send me a completely new and different cable to make the mount they had shipped me work [my friend's unit came with the correct mount] - so for me, the magnetic cable mount was one of the reasons I bought this model but simply doesn't exist. And TomTom is officially happy about this - they told me.

Specific Nice points about this model: large, glass screen - easy to use, view and clean. Very pretty interface. New PC software is vastly better (I use it on a Mac). My friend's magnetic mount is very nice - you can just "pull and go" as the advert suggests. Nice physical build quality of the device.

Specific Irritations about this model: no American computer generated voice (the older models have this - I like it because she says things like "in a quarter of a mile" rather than x yards). No social content yet. No compass, either on screen or internally - so it still starts you off in the wrong direction and you can't tell that it thinks your pointing the wrong way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6