Profile for Jamie Panter > Reviews

Content by Jamie Panter

Jamie Panter "JP London" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 May 2014
Superb, funny, sad and touching. Great book. Don't hesitate just buy it. You won't regret it. The man has a gift for telling a tale.

Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Total War Rome II (PC DVD)
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 24.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a step back, 28 Dec 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Such a shame.

Don't get me wrong, compared to release day, this game has improved with all the patches and the mods etc. But there is just 1 inescapable fact. So much of the fun has gone.

The battle are pretty good though, as always, there are (better now though) AI issues.

But the campaign is just poor in comparison. Diplomacy is mediocre (it wasn't great in the first Rome). The map is huge but not in a way that excites you, more of in a "it takes ages to get anywhere and movement is annoying".

The research and tech stuff is just a bit dull.

The whole family tree is missing and you have a 'important people' or some such section which is just dull.

All in all, a real shame. IT almost seems they put too much focus on the graphics and forgot the game play.

And shame on the professional reviewers (sites/mags etc) who rated it so highly upon release. Just goes to show they are in the pockets of the game developers.

Overall: not great. Hope it continues to be modded by great modders like Radious and they can make the game how it should be.

Magician's End (Riftwar 4)
Magician's End (Riftwar 4)
by Raymond E. Feist

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 9 May 2013
Immense. Truly immense.

After reading this book in 6 hours I am mind burned so can't write a detailed review but wow sums it up.

Some will find the book a bit frustrating. Other will disagree with the end.

But the unbelievable depth of what Feist has put on paper in this book is staggering. Perhaps the only book to try and grasp such concepts in this genre. His whole take on The Dread and the Universe is incredible. Bits of it take a bit of re-reading as it so complex. But well done to Feist for the ambition he showed.

Very good book.

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Price: 33.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 14 Jan 2013
I am a sci-fi geek (I freely admit this) and have to say BSG (this version) is up there with the best. In a way it also goes beyond it's genre bringing together so many different themes and emotive areas.

The writers deserve much praise for the bravery they have showed, with the importance of religion as a question (with no easy answers given) and it's focus on deeply human and flawed characters as opposed to cardboard cutouts that saturate other science fiction series and which the original series is guilty of too.

Spoilers Below!!!!

I liked the ending. For me it was a brilliant touch. The depth and the skill to interweave it all together into such a long history with a ending that was in truth a remarkable origin story...fabulous...just fabulous.

Some people have criticised the show for the way it ends but I think they deserve praise.

Logo Quiz
Logo Quiz
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Logo Quiz (App)
Good good good I like it is good very good hard very good. Not easy. Fun. Don't let your wife nag you and act like she already knew it.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC DVD)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars At this stage, I quite like it., 28 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I started playing this earlier in the year, left it for a bit and returned a month or so ago. I am now a subscriber.

I am really struggling to see why so many people are scoring the game so badly. There is lots of room for improvement but at the same time, the game does have a lot of good points.

Pros:

You get to be a Jedi with a lightsaber and some groovy skills. Awesome.

The graphics: are very good but your grapgics card needs to handle it. I upgraded to a Nvidia GT 640 and that handles it no problem at good setting.

Audio: Very good. Great sound effects, good music - sets the scene well.

Gameplay: Great initially. Does get a bit 'samey' and repetitive after a while and the lack of diversity can get to you. But the game handles itself quite smoothly and is quite a lot of fun. I am hoping this improves as time goes on as they really need to flesh out the 'world', add some interesting sidelines and improve the whole community element. At this stage I am still doing the class quests and enjoying it. I have heard that once you hit level 50 however, things can become flat and dull.

Storyline: Superb. It keeps you excited, keeps you interested and keen to progress.

Cons:

Cost: 10 a month. Not too bad but I wish for the monthly outlay there was a lot more to do for level 50ers. Worried when I get there it will dry up.

Maintenance: It seems the server is down at times and maintenance an ongoing bug bear.

Lack of community: So far, not much community and it needs to be made easier/appealing for groups to get together. Although I freely admit I need to invest more time and effort into this side of the game.

Specs: You need pretty decent specs to run this well.

Relationships: Your wife/partner will be miffed that you spend so long playing it :-)

Overall: My MMO experience is limited as I only play this and Star Trek. So far I prefer this to star trek. I have never played WOW but surprisingly, as a fan of the Warcraft games and books, the 'look' of WOW puts me off. SWTOR seems a bit more life like polished. If that sentence makes any sense considering we are dealing with magic lands and sci-fi!!! :-)

For 10 a month it is worth a punt and if you don't like it, you will get at least several hours of enjoyment out of it.

The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus Book 1)
The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus Book 1)
Price: 5.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good., 23 Aug 2012
This is a very good book and does not suffer for its manner of publication.

The story is very good and adds a lot of background to the series as a whole. Despite what a previous reviewer said, I would not recommend reading this first as reading it would spoil some of the mystery of the series.

This really is a quality book and I hope Goodkind carries on so we find out more about what happened to the bad guys in the first war etc. Also, it would be great if Terry went even further back and explored what is hinted at in this book.

WWE '12 (PS3)
WWE '12 (PS3)
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good., 13 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WWE '12 (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok, I was quite doubtful about buying this game but there was a sales on. Having played it, it's very good. The reversal system us hard to master but the ai using it is not a problem. Just turn it down in options. This makes the computer equal to you. It is really not a problem.

For additional advantages create a character, make them powerful, give them heavy slam moves and you will win the majority of matches on the starting difficulty level.

The graphics are awesome and the customisation fantastic.

8 out of 10

A Crown Imperilled
A Crown Imperilled
Price: 4.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Technical teethings over?, 24 Feb 2012
Downloaded this yesterday, read the reviews so knew what to expect. Not too confusing once you get past the technical hiccups.

As for the story, I went into this book not expecting much.

Feist started off brilliantly in the series, went off track a bit, pulled it back with the Dark War (Dasati) angle and the last couple have been a bit hit and miss.

This one was actually written well (errors aside) fleshed out some of the characters and keeps you interested.

Again, not enough Pug or detail on the back story, which leaves a lot to put into the last book. More questions than answers after this one but a worthy read.

FIFA 12 (PS3)
FIFA 12 (PS3)
Offered by DylansToyStore
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fifa 12 - Some improvements - some let downs, 4 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA 12 (PS3) (Video Game)
Well I read a few reviews before I get to play it and I tend to agree with both sides of the debate for this edition.

I gave the new defending system a go and I have to say that it drove me nuts. Iwas very patient and gave it time and still had those moments were the opposition player would just skip by me.

I beat myself up about not being able to master it when I suddenly thought, why the hell should I?

I play games to have fun, not to feel annoyed constantly.

So, I switched it back Legacy defending and liked it so much more.

Since then, I am about 10 games into my career mode. Even without the defending changes there is still a lot to learn. Each games plays differently and this one is quite a leap. In some games it can be a nightmare to score - exceptionally difficult in fact (as it is in real life) and other games you storm them. It is all about having the right tactics AND the players. A few people have complained about physicality being too important in this game and that players like messi etc are under rated because of the reliance upon strength. I would have to say I disagree. I play as Arsenal and with Walcott I outstrip defenders easily and get telling crosses in. Similarly, I have a beefy DM called M'Vila who is great at winning the ball but is not great at anything else. his control is ok but his passing is a bit woeful and his shooting abysmal - therefore I can only use him in certain areas - much like real life.

The career mode has some modest changes. It all looks a bit prettier and players moan if they dont play etc which makes it more real and the youth scouting network is a nice addition. I hope you can actually grow players though.

One thing they have fixed which has annoyed me for years is that transfers seem a bit more 'real' now. For instance, Tottenham bought Michael Carrick (who was on a par for their team as he stats were not superb) and Bolton bought Michael Owen (again, whose stats were not great).

All in all, I am impressed - it will keep me going for a while but it is certainly not a huge improvement on its predecessors but neither should it be panned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 9:14 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3