Profile for Doctor Nelmes > Reviews

Content by Doctor Nelmes

Doctor Nelmes (Coventry, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fuloon Green Washable Double Layer Waterproof Pet Dog Cat Safe Safety Travel Hammock Car Bed Seat Cover Mat Blanket ,Adjustable Locking Seat Clasps For Tight Fit, Seat Fasteners Come With Snap Buckles in Size of 126*40*55 CM
Offered by Kldeals

5.0 out of 5 stars The best dog cover product we've found., 4 May 2014
Over the years we've had quite a few dog seat covers for our various hair-shedding Jack Russell's, and one thing has remained a constant - spending ages after each journey trying to remove their hairs and often having to clean the seats and door trims where the covers have invariable slipped. That is until now, for this product has made the few hairs that float around a doddle to remove and muddy paws and fur, contained within the hammock. As it isn't a fitted cover, there is nothing to come away from the seat, and with the high side flaps that have straps to hold in place using the rear passenger grab handles (if you have them), the door trims are kept clean. It should be noted that there are no cut-outs for attaching seat belt-mounted dog harness straps. I simply made a small piercing in the cover for the strap buckle to pass through and have reinforced the cut to avoid it ripping. Finally, as our dog hairs stick like needles into fabric, making removal quite difficult, I have used our cover inside out to that shown in the picture i.e. with the black plastic inside. This means that the dog hairs have nothing to stick into. A highly recommended purchase.

Oxford Hardcore Bike / Cycle XL Keyed Chain Lock 1.5 Metre
Oxford Hardcore Bike / Cycle XL Keyed Chain Lock 1.5 Metre

4.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy. Qualifies for Insurance discount as a Thatcham-approved device., 6 Feb 2014
I hopefully never to have to evaluate its effectiveness against attempted theft, but suffice to say that my insurance company approve of it, and give discount, so it can't be too bad. This is, by necessity, a very heavy product. My first attempt at shackling was very frustrating as I couldn't seem to close the padlock properly. This was due to me not noticing that the two end chain links are different lengths. The shorter link needs to be inserted into the longer link, then the padlock shackle is passed through the gap in the longer link and it closes nicely. It will not close by trying to attach the padlock in any other way. The thin fabric material covering the chain helps to protect against paintwork damage but for how long I don't know. I secure my machine looping through to frame's single downtube and through the front wheel. 1.5 metres is just right and I wouldn't want the chain any shorter.

Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

3.0 out of 5 stars Auto-detect or not? Ignore this comment if your TV has only one HDMI input., 6 Feb 2014
If your TV only has one HDMI socket to start with, then this is a very good device getting a 5 star rating, and can be recommended. If however, you have a TV with multiple HDMI inputs that do not auto-detect then read on.

We have a Samsung "Smart" TV with 4 HDMI inputs that sadly, and is well reported, does not auto-detect devices connected through the HDMI inputs when they are switched on. This is why I bought the Kinovo as I thought it would select devices automatically. Unfortunately, and was not clear before purchasing the device, it only works with devices that disconnect (power off) when not in use. Confused? To give an example, we have a Roku (Now TV) box connected along with a Samsung Blu-Ray, a Samsung PVR and a BT Vision PVR. As the Roku box is permanently on, once the Roku is used to watch TV, the Kinovo will not switch when a another device is selected, unless you use the Kinovo handset provided and switch manually. Likewise the BT Vision box causes problems so the solution for us is to connect them directly into the TV and omit the Kinovo box. The box now autodetects the two Samsung devices but we have to manually select inputs for the Roku and BT Vision boxes. This is explained in the instructions but be aware that you need to know if your input devices power off when not in use before you buy, otherwise it might not do what we expected it to do, i.e. Auto-detect inputs!

madCase Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000 N9005 PU Leather Wallet Flip Stand Case Cover - Brown
Offered by Gadgets 'N' Bits Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 25 Oct 2013
Very quick delivery, reasonable (but not the best) quality, but having said that, it isn't bad, especially given the price. All cut-outs line up and it is not at all bulky. The pictures of the product really say it all, regarding functionality.

3030mah GOLD SERIES BUSINESS EXTENDED HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE I9220 GT-N7000

4.0 out of 5 stars OK as a replacement, 2 Aug 2013
If you buy one as a replacement then it's ok but, in my experience, don't expect any noticeable improvement in battery life. I would not however suggest not buying one, just don't expect anything special.

Kampa Easy Lock Tiles (Pack of four)
Kampa Easy Lock Tiles (Pack of four)
Offered by Blackmore Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for caravan awnings on hardstandings - and tent campers?, 23 Aug 2012
This review is based on usage within a caravan awning, but I suspect that it would also apply to tent campers as well.

They are made of a dense, dark grey foam and have a good, tight-fitting interlocking design that works very well. When the surface underneath is not smooth, such as a typical caravan-site hardstanding, they still remain locked together and do not pop up, avoiding any potential trip hazard. This issue was my main concern before purchase and, to date, has proved unfounded.

The comfort factor was a very pleasant surprise and even better than we'd hoped for. Stepping out of the caravan with bare feet, onto a hardstanding with these tiles in place, was a pleasure with no discomfort whatsoever.

On one occasion, we were pitched at the bottom of a site where it rained hard for most of the night. Water had flowed through the awning and under the tiles but, to our surprise, the tiles didn't absorb the water. The muddy water-staining, left after the rain, came off with a damp cloth and left them looking as new.

These tiles have proved an excellent purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for this particular application.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 9:20 PM GMT

FLASH SUPERSTORE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE N7000 GENUINE LEATHER LEATHER FLIP CASE/COVER/POUCH BLACK + SCREEN PROTECTOR

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and value, 22 Aug 2012
This is a very well made and attractive black, coarse leather-grained case with neat contrasting grey stitching.

The case flips open from the top to bottom, unlike my previous phone case that opened from bottom to top. Maybe it's just me, but I find that this direction of opening seems unnatural and as such, I'm regularly opening it "upside down", even after a month. Having said that, this may not be an issue for others.

The case catch works very well and is held in place by a hidden magnet. Just be careful if you are using any apps that utilise the in-built compass, as the magnetism has a noticeable effect on accuracy if the case is folded back on itself. I found that if I keep the case open with the flap at 90 degrees to the phone, it minimises magnetic interference.

The phone is held in place by the usual moulded plastic cradle that, with this product, is a very tight fit. I recently tried to remove the phone from its cradle and found it extremely difficult. In the end I succeeded but won't be keen to repeat it.

I have not experienced any problems with the phone being operated inadvertently whilst in my pocket, due to the case pressing on the controls. Also, the case dimensions are such that it still fits nicely into my pockets without making it too bulky.

The cut-outs are well-positioned, allowing control of side buttons and removal of the stylus, without the need to open the case. My only criticism is that it would be better to have a cut-out for the mini-usb connector. As it stands, the case has to be opened to allow connection.

It also comes with a screen protector but, despite numerous attempts to apply it trying to minimise air bubbles, I finally gave up and have left the screen "naked" as-is.

Overall, I consider this a good buy, and, with reservations outlined above, I would recommend it to others.

Samsung N7000 Note 16GB Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Kudos Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Note? S3? Note? I'm so glad I went for the Note., 17 July 2012
Yes, yes it's big, but within a couple of days it made everything else look like toys, with the iPhone looking positively tiny next to it. I was really torn between this and the S3 but I'm so glad that I went for the Note. Dual-core? Quad-core? S2 under the skin or the all singing-dancing look-away-and-I-go-to-sleep etc. S3. After watching countless video reviews I came to the conclusion that side-by-side comparisons showing the "superior performance" of the S3 meant in real life, very marginally quicker, very marginally smoother scrolling and so it all came back to the size - again. I've come to learn that reviewers in magazines and on TV have a great tendency to exaggerate differences. I'll never forget one review of the BMW 5-Series "The new 5-Series makes you realise how bad the old one was!" Strange that they eulogised over the old one and now 3 years on it was rubbish! Same with technology in my books. One site (Cnet?) referred to needing comedy pantaloons to fit it into. Utter nonsense. The screen is crystal clear, and the size makes the web-browsing a delight allowing many web pages to be displayed full-screen without having to move around the page to read it. Aside from the annoying pre-loaded bloatware, I've not found anything to complain about yet though I would say that single-handed operation could be a problem for some. Even the battery life is far better than I expected getting a full day out of it between top-ups. It came from Amazon pre-loaded with Android 4.0.3 'Ice-cream sandwich' if you're interested. Probably my favourite-ever technology purchase as it continues to surprise and delight me and that comes from someone who's been a gadget geek since the early 70's!

Dewalt DE9091 Battery Pack 14.4V 2 AMP (NICD battery)
Dewalt DE9091 Battery Pack 14.4V 2 AMP (NICD battery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a real punch at an excellent price, 5 Jun 2012
I bought this as a replacement for one of the 1.3 Amp original battery packs that died. It cost only a few pounds more (or nearly £50 less depending on where you looked!). Compared to the 1.3 Amp original, the difference in performance is amazing. It is used for relatively short bursts requiring high torque loading and I've not been disappointed. Highly recommended and very quick delivery.

Follow-up review 4th Mar 2014
This battery has now been used extensively over the past year, again with very high torque loads for relatively short bursts (totalling in the region of about 1min 30 secs.) If it has lost any power then I haven't noticed it. Excellent purchase and worth every penny.

August DVB-T201 PC/Laptop USB Freeview TV Receiver & Recorder - Silver
August DVB-T201 PC/Laptop USB Freeview TV Receiver & Recorder - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, even with Windows 7 64 bit!, 23 Nov 2011
My previous 8 year old Nebula Digi-TV PCI card freeview receiver finally died recently having cost around £100 when new. As it wasn't used that much, I decided to see how technology had moved on in the budget end of the market. Not expecting much at this price, I was surprised at what the DVB-T201 could receive, particularly in a distinctly-average signal strength area. Forget the poor bundled software and drivers if you're running Windows 7 32 or 64 bit as it doesn't come with Windows 7 drivers. Just install it using Windows Media Centre where I managed to load over 100 channels and a get a very good EPG guide. I found that the size of the USB stick receiver was so big that it wouldn't fit into 4 of my recessed USB ports, so ended up swapping other connectors around to make space. The Co-axial aerial cable input adapter also looks very fragile so time will tell wether it is durable enough. I have connected it through my roof-mounted aerial so I cannot comment on the indoor aerial supplied. I don't bother with the tiny remote control as it is just as easy to operate the system directly whilst sitting in front of the PC. In summary then, if you use Windows Media Centre and want to record and pause/rewind live TV (signal dependant on your location, of course), then it is perfectly satisfactory. The picture quality is quite acceptable too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3