Profile for Steve Adeleye > Reviews

Content by Steve Adeleye

Steve Adeleye (Ashford, Kent. UK)

God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer
by Bart D. Ehrman

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory Reading, 5 May 2009
For most of us at some time in our Christian and/or religious life, our faith will inevitably clash with reason. That crisis between the head and the heart, is a struggle that I have experienced personally and have seen many people around me struggle with. One inevitably realises that things don't always work for good as the good old Apostle and the good book says it does.

Why do bad things happen to good and innocent people if an Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omni-benevolent deity is on the throne of justice?
I have seen terrible calamities befall good innocent Christian brothers and sisters so it is a question that I have asked personally many times.

In this book, Professor Ehrman dealt with this issue admirably. He looked at all the angles, all the biblical examples and all the explanations that have been offered by various people over the years. He dealt with them one by one and offered us an excellent, lucid assessment and his very informed and well researched views and opinions.

This is a fantastic book, whatever your Christian belief or lack thereof. In the usual Ehrman style, it is well written, well thought out, and contributes substantially to knowledge.

I will recommend this book to anyone who wants to go beyond the dogmas and take a good objective look at what Christianity has to say about one of the most fundamental questions of our time.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2012 12:18 AM BST

Born Divine: The Births of Jesus and Other Sons of God
Born Divine: The Births of Jesus and Other Sons of God
by Robert J. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Unto Darkness, 28 May 2008
This is an excellent book, a very brilliant contribution to the Jesus debate. It is well written, very readable and dealt with the subject matter superbly. I also suspect that it was deliberately simplified for the ordinary reader like myself. Reading this book added enormously to my knowledge and understanding of Jesus and the issue of his divinity.

You can tell from the first chapter that this book is the product of a life-time of academic research. What makes this book great for me though was the quality of the analysis and the the way that it handled and explained complex issues so understandably.
For Example - The treatment of the relationship between the old and the new testament materials, the analysis and cross referencing of the old testament prophesies and their supposed fulfilment in the gospels were all dealt with thoroughly and brilliantly and in simple language without the need to reach for the dictionary every 5 mins.
Perhaps above all for me is the author's "come with me", unravelling, step by step approach to analysis; the issues just simply unravels itself.

The birth of Jesus, his divinity and all the other orthodox christian doctrines emanating from that has been something that I have struggled with throughout my christian life, this book for me was therefore light unto darkness. This is Robert Miller's first book that I have read and I have to say it is one of the best books that I have ever read on the Jesus debate.

For those like me who were brought up in an othordox evangelical tradition, I will recommend this book to you absolutely. I hope it will do for you what it did for me - provide light unto darkness.