Profile for Tinkerty Tonk > Reviews

Content by Tinkerty Tonk

Tinkerty Tonk

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
QUMOX @ PCI-Express To Usb 3.0 Superspeed PCI-E Card 4-Port Expansion Card Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card Desktop
Offered by Sunwood-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars This is getting damn annoying., 21 Aug 2014
Doesn't work with Windows 7 Home Premium X64bit, despite saying it does work with Windows 7. Driver disc installation kicked out with Runtime error. Found exact same driver on net - same thing. Vendors... You know that systems come in X32 AND X64 flavours. Get FULL information about product and include full compatibility information - both Operating System AND X32 or X64. If you can't find that full information then stop selling items, or, at the very least state that you can't confirm full compatibility with one or the other, and give us a chance to find something else. This is getting damn annoying.

USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD HD ENCLOSURE CADDY CASE Black
USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD HD ENCLOSURE CADDY CASE Black
Offered by leading-star

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 1 April 2014
Nice little box. I will buy another when the need arises. Works fine with my Win 7 64bit system.
I like that the disk slides into it rather than the box splitting into two halves. It also comes with a small screwdriver, which is thoughtful, for tightening the tiny screws. I didn't use it, though, as it's not magnetised - all my others are, and you need a magnetised screwdriver when dealing with such tiny screws, that or dip the end into a jar of Vaseline to hold the screw on the end. Very fiddly otherwise.
It comes with a USB A-to-A cable to fit the A socket on the case, which is unusual for small peripheral devices, which usually have a USB micro-B or mini-B socket.
The cable is a "Y" adapter. One end has a further USB A plug piggy-backed onto it. This extra plug is only connected at its power pins; the data pins are not connected, and you will notice that the short cable is thinner as only the two power wires are needed. If you connect the piggy-backed plug and the other end only, the disk will power up, but will not be recognised - no data connection.
The piggy-backed ends of these cables are designed to use two USB ports on the same machine to provide more current for peripheral devices. USB 2 ports are limited to 500 milliAmp each, so using two ports doubles current availability to a single device. I suspect this is overkill for 2.5" drives, and my disk works fine using only one USB plug, ignoring the piggy-backed plug.
The soft case will only protect against scratches - not impact, and shouldn't be used while the disk is connected, as it may encourage overheating.

Huoshang 12.0 Mega Pixel USB Webcam Camera with Microphone and Night Vision Blue+White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with the right software., 28 Mar 2014
This is an edit of my first review, which wasn't very good. However, I was hasty, as I've discovered a different free webcam viewer program, ManyCam, and the difference is astounding. The camera is really rather good. Close-ups are excellent, and normal viewing is also very good. I still don't know if I like the 3 very bright LEDs, and intend to blank them out with black tape for most uses - the camera does not need them as it is perfectly capable of providing a clear picture using whatever background light is available. Images from my living room lit by a 60W standard lamp are very good - much better than still photographs without flash would be. As I haven't used it for very long, I don't know if the 3 LEDs will be useful in other circumstances. I hope my previous review did no harm, as it is a very capable camera. All it needed was a decent program. ManyCam is also much much faster than the previous free programs I used, and there is very little delay when moving the camera. As ManyCam is free software, perhaps the camera manufacturer (or even the seller) could include a CD containing the program (or just include a slip of paper with a URL to the program's website - [...]). This would ensure that the user gets good results right from the start. I never normally give 5 stars, but here I did considering the ridiculously low price with its very acceptable quality, and as an apology for my previous hasty review.

Green 3M METERS USB DATA SYNC CHARGER CABLE LEAD FOR IPhone 4 4S 3G 3GS IPod IPad
Offered by crazy4fones

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 days, 28 Mar 2014
I'd read that many of these cheapos don't last too long, this joined that bunch. I truly hate giving bad reviews but, 5 days and then it stopped working. As it's too costly to return I'll probably crack it to see what went wrong. The manufacturers of these pieces of junk absolutely know that we won't return them, and so they make a tidy little sum of dirty money getting a few quid off thousands of unhappy customers. Shame on you. Build better quality stuff. I would recommend that the seller stops buying from his current supplier, and tests each and every remaining lead for several days before despatching to other suckers - don't join those dodgy hard disk sellers who sell 2nd hand disk drives "untested"! Like that's a difficult, time-consuming job!

Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC)
Half-Life: Blue Shift (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a pleasant experience, 5 Jan 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Refused to run. I've got a very good high spec system, and have never had problems running any game including all the half life 2 series. This piece of rubbish, though, refused at every attempt. Sierra should be ashamed of this. It should never have been released in this very poor incompatible state. It actually consistently gave me an insufficient memory message. I haven't had this kind of message since DOS 6.2. This is not this vendor's fault, it is Sierra's. But you will likely be wasting your money. Go online and search for the many posts from people having problems. To get it to run apparently requires a thousand steps of messing about with system settings and patches and other downloads. Doesn't even get one star, that was just a requirement of Amazon. Further, after uninstalling, my internet connection was lost, and I had to use System Restore - 4 attempts - to get things back to normal.

Self Adhesive Hooks For Net Curtain Rods 2/Pk Plus Centre Hook (005342)
Self Adhesive Hooks For Net Curtain Rods 2/Pk Plus Centre Hook (005342)
Offered by Maple Textiles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell off., 17 Sep 2013
Held up the wooden dowel for a few hours before falling off. Mind you, another pack bought elsewhere did the same thing. I cleaned the uPVC surface with alcohol beforehand. Self-adhesive has a long way to go - never works. I used screws in the end.

300MM 30CM STAINLESS STRAIGHT EDGE STEEL RULER 12"
300MM 30CM STAINLESS STRAIGHT EDGE STEEL RULER 12"
Offered by Lowest Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice., 17 Sep 2013
The markings are very clear, good contrast with steel, and the markings themselves are very fine with no smudging or overflow - crisp. Nice, and at a very good price.

First4Spares Mini Turbo Brush For Vacuum Cleaners
First4Spares Mini Turbo Brush For Vacuum Cleaners
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Works remarkably well., 17 Sep 2013
Fits my Panasonic MC-E7101, 1400 Watt cylinder. The brush whizzes round like a mad thing, and continues spinning even with a lot of pressure placed upon it - nothing much will stop it (obviously, wattage and maintenance of vacuum cleaner will be relevant here). I knew there'd be some loss of suction - simple physics, what suction is used up in turning the blades of the fan cannot be available for sucking stuff up. The loss is noticeable on some lightweight rugs which my machine usually sucks onto like a vice, but, frankly, that was a pain in the bum. But the loss is not significant enough to interfere with cleaning, and the spinning brush probably helps flick debris into the pipe. I don't know what the removeable, stiff-bristled shoe is for as the brush cannot contact the floor while it is in situ. But that's just a curiosity - the brush works very well. Very pleased. One of those gadgets that I thought I'd try once, and then consign to a cupboard for a few decades, but I use it every time, it's that good. (I am curious as to what went wrong with the single dissenting reviewer - did he leave the shoe on?)

I do have one criticism, though. As mentioned elsewhere, the angle of use - when the opening is parallel to the ground, and the brush at best contact - is far too shallow, and quickly becomes uncomfortable for my back. I have to vacuum in stops and starts, or kneel. The angle is much shallower than that of my other attachments. If the designers reads these reviews, and they really should, I would suggest a redesign in the future. Even so, I can live with that, and my happiness with it remains.

Best of Range: Quake 4 (PC DVD)
Best of Range: Quake 4 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice., 17 Sep 2013
The disc was in excellent condition, which is all that matters, really. Until I saw this in a search - I was looking for Q2 to play with my grandaughter - I didn't know there was a Q4. I left Quake at 2 - after playing it to death, because it was the very very best game ever of its time. Q3 was awful and disappointing (don't do Deathmatch), so I was particularly pleased to make this discovery. Not much health or ammo lying around, tut.

Silverline 793762 Hardpoint Saw 350mm 7tpi
Silverline 793762 Hardpoint Saw 350mm 7tpi

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good., 17 Sep 2013
It is sharp, the blade's straight, and the 90 degree handle-to-blade guide works fine. Very good for the price. So far I've been happy with Silverline stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3