Profile for Louise & Joe > Reviews

Content by Louise & Joe

Louise & Joe "bookworms r us" (London, England)

My Friend Leonard
My Friend Leonard
by James Frey
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, warm and inspiring, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I picked up this book with some apprehension following the issues surrounding the author's first book 'A million little pieces'. I desperately wanted to know the next stage in James Frey's life but wasn't sure if I could trust the words. In the end I tried to stop thinking it was an autobriography or a memoir and instead looked at it as a story of fiction - and it was a really good story!

The author's style of writing has been toned down from the first book - no more random capitalisations, excessive sentence/word repeats and what was left was a vivid, easy to read, almost prose like piece of work. I rooted for James and wanted the best for him, I suppose thats the natural instinct when reading any kind of 'getting out of rehab/fixing my life' books. Either way, I felt like James was a friend to me, and I really wanted him to succeed.

My most favourite character in this book (and in A million little pieces) is Leonard - his warmth, banter with Snapper, kind heart... enough reason to name a book after him!

I laughed and I cried in this book.. I never thought I would, don't you love it when a book suprises you? :)

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: 8.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, truthful & inspiring, 1 Jan 2010
Have just finished reading this BEAUTIFUL book in one sitting, could not put it down!

The author has a wonderful way with words and drew a very believable picture of Afghanistan from 1960s - 2000s, the war, social issues, repression. In a sense, this book was more than a story of friendship, but also a story of a wounded country.

I felt very attached to the characters of Laila and Mariam and felt every happiness, heartbreak and pain they went through. Great talent for a male writer to depict the hearts and souls of two women so movingly.

Very unforgettable, and will be recommending this to all my friends!

Hg2: A Hedonist's Guide to Stockholm
Hg2: A Hedonist's Guide to Stockholm
by Scarlett Stapleton

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Stockholm, 31 Dec 2009
Good for general information but do get the most updated one as some of the restaurants we went to were closed. The ones we did find were accurately described though..

Book is divided into Stockholm's neighbourhoods, instead of by hotel/restaurant etc - which was useful and certainly showcased the cool & hip Stockholm we had heard about. The map was also very helpful. Found some great places to shop, eat and walk.

Overall a great book, but you might need another guide (with practical info such as train maps, bus routes) on top.

Holga Camera Starter Kit
Holga Camera Starter Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars All items included, great present!, 31 Dec 2009
Ordered this a few months ago, it arrived in perfect sealed condition - with camera, manual, book, batteries and even black tape included in the box. The book has many helpful tips on how to get the best out of the Holga, and i'm very pleased to have got it (it was a close call between this and the Diana). A fantastic present for a camera enthusiast!

Mr Toppit
Mr Toppit
by Charles Elton
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars What was the point exactly?, 31 Dec 2009
This review is from: Mr Toppit (Paperback)
Like many reviewers of this book, I started off filled with hope only to have the 'is this it?' feeling at the end. The author starts off many potentially interesting sub plots but never really does anything with it..

The narrative is non-linear with no indication of year/month so I found myself slightly confused at the start of each chapter.

The writing itself was well paced and the characters were likeable enough but I didn't really connect with them - and while Laurie was certainly the most interesting of the lot, she was also annoying & disappointed towards the end.

Shame really, could have been a great book..

Just Dance (Wii)
Just Dance (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 10.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all ages!, 31 Dec 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Dance (Wii) (Video Game)
Have just spent all of Christmas playing this game with both family and friends. It's fun for restless kids and hilarious for a bunch of adults too! Very easy to use, great mix of songs (pop, dance, urban and classics - our personal favourite is 'Jerk it out'), all songs show the levels of difficulty/effort and up to four people can play. Great addition to the wii games collection and possibly even a way to keep fit in the New Year!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping but some uncomfortable scenes and a lot of coffee!, 31 Dec 2009
This book is one of the very few in the crime/thriller genre that had me turning each page into the early morning.

Whilst I never felt great affection for any of the main characters, (Salander was particularly annoying) I couldn't help but want to find out more about them - their backgrounds, thoughts, and inevitably what would happen at the end of the book.

Larsson's descriptions of Sweden was also a pleasure, though I found some of the day to day 'walk, drink coffee, shower, drink coffee' a bit tiresome after the first three chapters.

Lastly, there is a fair amount of uncomfortable scenes... some may say these were necessary to propel the story further but still completely out of the blue. You can almost forgive it though as it is such a good read!