Profile for C. Atkinson > Reviews

C. Atkinson (London, UK)

Buy Whole Foods Walnuts Pieces 1 Kg
Buy Whole Foods Walnuts Pieces 1 Kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Mind the bits of shell, 4 Jan. 2015
I have bought these twice in the space of six months and had been using them to add to homemade granola.

Unfortunately the second batch contained an inordinate amount of walnut shell shrapnel; enough to cause pained glances amongst all consumers at the breakfast table each time the granola was eaten. Almost lost a tooth.

I'll be switching back to whole walnuts now.

August CR100 - FM Transmitter with 3.5mm In / USB Port / Card Reader - In Car MP3 Player for Smartphones and Tablets - Apple / Android / Blackberry Compatible
Offered by Daffodil UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, functional but fragile product, 25 Feb. 2011
The price is pretty much unbeatable on this FM tuner. I used it in a rental car on a recent holiday to transmit music from my iPhone to the car radio. Audio quality was better than I'd hoped once the volume of both the iPhone and car stereo had been tweaked (worked best when volume of iPhone was near full, but not fully, otherwise there was harsh crackling on certain audio tones). I did accidentally drop the tuner on the ground and the front cover cracked and fell to pieces (but was still functional) - I don't expect a gadget to survive a drop unscathed, however I was surprised that it was damaged so badly.

All in all very happy otherwise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 11:32 PM GMT

Sennheiser PX200 Black Closed Mini Headphone Black
Sennheiser PX200 Black Closed Mini Headphone Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Feb. 2009
I'm not the bass-partisan type, but these good looking cans will only provide you with bass if you squeeze them against your ears, without it the experience is painfully tinny. A real shame given that everything else about them is great (style particularly). Sadly my old Sennheiser in-ear buds for £18 perform better.

Admittedly the sound gets slightly better after running them in for a couple of hours, but regardless they have still been a waste of £35 for me and I'm now looking for a replacement that will provide a dynamic, rich sound.

If you're making the move to headphones I suggest you sacrifice a little of the style/size and get something with larger, more isolating, ear pieces.

Cheers,
Chris
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2009 7:54 PM GMT

Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, poor construction, 2 Aug. 2007
I've been using these headphones for a good 6 months now.

I find the sound to be very clear and with good bass (sometimes too much bass, but this can be tweaked) and the volume levels are great, my iPod is now quite loud at half volume which my old Sony in-ears could never achieve.

My gripe, however, lays in the construction. After an initial couple of weeks usage the left earbud rubber piece fell off and disappeared down a drain. I use the middle-sized earbuds - the small ones disappear into my ear canal and the large are painful to wear, but now with one medium missing I have to use a small earbud on the left and medium on the right. This isn't ideal and still now I have to be careful to not brush the earbuds off when I take them out of my bag since they come off so easily.

I haven't experienced this to such an extent with other in-ear headphones, others have given a tighter fit to the headphones. I just don't see why Sennheiser can't provide an extra set of earbuds given that if you lose your size then you're pretty much stuck using spairs that don't fit or buying a complete new set of headphones.

The sound is great for the price though, far better too than a (cheap) pair of Sennheiser cans I've used recently.

Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga)
Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga)
by Peter F. Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars A struggle, 12 April 2007
I really enjoyed the prequel to Judas Unchained, Pandora's Star, but this thing I really struggled through.

I would have loved to have read more about the Motiles and their zany existence. I would love to have read more about their psychological struggle to keep human rationalities at bay. I would have loved to have learnt more about Dyson Beta. Alas, these are my expectations of the sequel, and maybe a lesson why expectations, whether high or low, should be used warily.

There were too many niggles in the plot and writing style for me to enjoy it fully. For example, when reading at length Ozzie's trip along the Silfen tracks I puzzled over how it would all tie together to the Commonwealth, but it never really did. Why include it? The second half of the book is FULL of sub-chapters that run for 2 pages before switching to another sub-plot which runs for 2 pages before switching to another sub-plot which runs for 2 pages before... you get the picture. Some of these sub-plots are just boring (Ozzie and Orion's Bogus Adventure) but some are great (Illuminatus), but switching to and fro between them left me constantly frustrated as I'd finally get my teeth into one before being yanked away again to another. I can understand this style being used to create a "page turnover", but 600 pages of it?! Why _is_ this book 1200 pages long anyway?

Anyhoo, I can recommend it if you're into space operas, but "Dreaming Heavens" don't expect anything too "enzyme-bonded concrete" breaking, "dude".

I have given the book a positive 3 stars despite the above anger-driven ramble (I only finished the book last night and the agony is still fresh in my mind). Alright, back to Iain M Banks I guess.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2009 7:49 PM GMT

Drowning in a Sea of Love
Drowning in a Sea of Love
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., 11 May 2006
I chanced upon catching Nathan Fake perform live with Vincent Oliver on visuals at the National Film Theatre in London a couple of weeks back and was blown away by their performance.

They were kind of a support act for the "superior" I:Cube who performed afterwards, and the simple and non-pretentious style of Fake's music and Oliver's visuals shone through as a beacon of wank-free electronica, something I really appreciate in this genre.

Back to the album, this CD represents all that is good in nostalgic (Boards of Canada-like), rocky (My Bloody Valentine-like), boppy (Lemon Jelly-like) electronica. Great stuff!