Profile for G. Knighton > Reviews

Content by G. Knighton

G. Knighton "G Knighton Raftery" (London, UK)

The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1
The Highwayman's Footsteps: 1
by Nicola Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive, 12 Sep 2008
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews and on the subject matter. I happen to be quite interested in English highwayman stories, as I live quite close to a famous highwayman's hideout near London. I'm afraid that about halfway through this book, I got that sinking feeling that for me appears when a story moves from being just not very well written to downright poor and disappointing. I was mostly willing to overlook the author's clumsy writing style, but when the plot moved into being a poorly-executed and florid retelling of Alfred Noyes' melodramatic poem 'The Highwayman', I'm afraid I lost patience. There are lots of great juvenile and young adult novels out there. I'm confident that _The Highwayman's Footsteps_ has no place among them. This review gets its two stars for bite-sized chapters, a lovely cover on the edition I wasted my money on, and nice typography.

Castles Of Scotland [DVD] [2006]
Castles Of Scotland [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Castles of Scotland
Offered by Not2day Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be called Castles of Scotland at a Glance...., 16 Aug 2007
We were hoping for an in-depth documentary about Scotland's many castles. Alas, the first 'episode' contains mostly aerial and still footage of about twenty different castles with a voice-over giving bare information about each one. Stirling, the only castle covered in detail, was dully filmed and badly lit. On the copy we rented, the second 'episode' was unplayable, so I am basing this review just on the first one. Save your time and money and choose another film to view.

Vectors
Vectors
by Michael P. Kube-McDowell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 27 July 2006
This review is from: Vectors (Mass Market Paperback)
Sometimes, things just seem to come together. A brilliant scientist meets a creative pioneer. Science meets philosophy. And a mystery meets a mystery.

When was the last time I stayed up all night reading a book, even when I didn't really have the time, even when I had things to do the next day, because I simply could not bear to put the book down? When was the last time a book beat sleep? When was the last time I finished a book and then had to keep it with me the next day so I could go back and start reading it all over again?

Well, these days, that doesn't happen for me all that often, but it happened with Vectors. I stayed up all night reading Vectors (the first time; I'm halfway through the second reading), because I could not, would not, not even at the promptings of family and friends--not even when I knew where we were going and no one else in the car did--put it down. Everything else paled when placed next to my engagement with this book.

Vectors is full of unlikely meetings, seeming coincidences and risks. Kube-McDowell breaks every rule in the hard science-fiction author's canon. There's spiritualism, having tea with neuroscience. There's a respectful nod to the neopagan community, dallying over questions of evidence and data. There's a sweeping love story that encompasses everything else and makes this story sweet and real without being cloying or predictable.

Everything is vivid, from the science to the characters to the descriptions of a not-too-distant future Ann Arbor. Kube-McDowell's prose is gorgeous, lush without being purple, almost romantic. The characters are alive. You want to know them. The story itself is a roller coaster ride that will engage you from page one. I wasn't able to put it down. I'm having trouble putting it down for the second time. I put it down to write this review, because I don't want it to end again. It's going on the reread-every-year-or-so shelf with books like Stranger In A Strange Land and Jitterbug Perfume.

Michael Kube-McDowell has taken some risks, writing a book like Vectors. And Vectors is a risk worth taking.