Profile for W. Ni > Reviews

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Price: 4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 11 Sep 2006
"You fasten the triggers for the others to fire. Then you set back and watch when the death count gets higher. You hide in your mansion,as young people's blood flows out of their bodies

and is buried in the mud.

How much do I know to talk out of turn. You might say that I'm young, you might say I'm unlearned. But there's one thing I know

though I'm younger than you. Even Jesus would never forgive what you do"

This has to be my favourite album of all time. Dylan captures what it is like to be young and carefree, but at the same time burdened by the guilt of knowledge and responsibility; he sings this all out beautifully, eloquently, simply. There isn't any of the complex vaguries of the new 'subversives' e.g. Radiohead, or . There is a sincerity and empathy and confidence- that there is a difference between right and wrong that is not relative, but universal. Just because you're not black doesn't mean you shouldn't be outraged at racism, just because you're not a victim doesn't mean you should accept the slaughter of war. And he sang all this when it wasn't the conventional wisdom, he was expressing something new, which is something that the commercialised commodified righteousness of Coldplay or U2 can never do.

This isn't a manifesto for change, it doesn't try to be. It is a mere observation on the transcience of love, the inhumanity of war and racism. It is knowingly naive, and perfectly imperfect and that's why I love it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 10:02 PM BST