Profile for Maltravers > Reviews

Content by Maltravers

Maltravers

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Unstuff Your Life! : Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
by Andrew J. Mellen
Price: 12.15

2.0 out of 5 stars O-v-e-r-s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d, 1 Feb 2014
If ever there was a perfect example of a magazine article stretched to the length of a book this is it. In fact even the author admits the basic rule is "like with like" and "a home for everything". This message is then applied, chapter by repetitive chapter in tedious detail as the author takes you room by room through your house, garage and car. The structure of each chapter is the same, leaving you screaming "Okay! I get it!" by the end of chapter three.

And any book which explains how I should store the individual railway tracks from my Christmas panorama decorations is clearly written by and for people with too much time on their hands. You may think I'm exaggerating. I am not.

Mellen opens his book with that traditional hyperbolic self help promise that "this book will change your life". I guess if having a special area to open your post will do that for you, maybe you'll like this testament to OCD. But I've unstuffed my life by donating my copy to the charity shop.

Going Self-Employed: How to Start Out in Business on Your Own
Going Self-Employed: How to Start Out in Business on Your Own
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point, 2 Jan 2014
Whilst there are certainly more comprehensive guides to starting your own business out there (check out The Financial Times Guide to Business Start Up 2014: The Most Comprehensive Annually Updated Guide for Entrepreneurs (The FT Guides) they are pretty daunting tomes.

This is a business book you'll read cover to cover in a day or two. It appears to cover all the basics and is written in a friendly (occasionally overly blokey) style which makes it an easy read. Only the marketing section seems a little behind the times, focusing on local press advertising rather than digital marketing for instance.

The author's style is so engaging it was all the more poignant to discover he died in 2011.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 8.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterful - if not his masterpiece., 15 Oct 2013
I hate to break the run of five star reviews, but Gary Numan is too accomplished and talented an artist to need to be patronised with overblown praise from me. This is a very solid four star album, and a step up from Jagged, but I prefer Pure and Dead Sun Rising.

When Numan was first penning this album he talked about making it relentless, dark, heavy and anthemic. Perhaps it's a good thing he decided to add more variety, and there are certainly more shades of darkness here. But perhaps that's part of the reason I dropped a star.

I've noted Mr Numan tends to have one slow, melancholy song per album, often as a closer, to provide contrast with the pounding of previous tracks. They are often touching and beautiful. Here he presents three or four tracks which could easily fill that slot - but to have so many on one album does tend to slow it down a bit. It's likely indicative of the background of the writing of the album which I understand was not an entirely happy affair. Nobody does downbeat as well as Gary Numan, but I'd prefer more anger than misery.

Numan provides more subtle variations to his vocal style. Some fans have criticised his use of menacing whispers on recent tracks. But its not overused here and, to be honest, it's a style I rather like. Elsewhere he has a stab at a rather alarming falsetto which works well here, but I'm not sure it'll be in the live performances.

At the heart of the album is Love Hurt Bleed, probably as good a song as he's ever released. It's delivered with power, commitment and technique. The rest of the album shares that song's production values and musicianship, but it sets a benchmark he doesn't surpass. That said, not many people would.

I hope people will not see four stars as a criticism. If I could give four and half I would.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2013 7:09 PM BST

Kitchen Craft White Lattice Pastry Roller
Kitchen Craft White Lattice Pastry Roller
Price: 5.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - do not buy it, 25 Sep 2013
Absolutely useless. Hardly cuts through pastry, and then clogs into the wheel and splits the pastry. Do not buy it.

Selected (Expanded Edition CD)
Selected (Expanded Edition CD)
Price: 14.96

2.0 out of 5 stars No great reward, 24 Aug 2013
I bought this album on the back of a recent Gary Numan recommendation and Alan Wilder's contribution to Songs of Faith and Devotion - one of my favourite albums of all time. But boy it is a great let down.

Given its provenance I was expecting something with a bit of bite and originality. Sadly, it's muzak; not disimilar to those identikit "chill out" compilation albums you can buy for tuppance. Only "Prey" lives on for any length of time in the memory. The rest mush together in a sea of soft beats and nonsensical voiceovers. There's even a moment when the painful old cliche of a woman moaning erotically over non-descript backgound music gets another visit. Doesn't even raise a smile.

This is music without passion, power or commitment. Fine for an inoffensive bit of background music at a middle class dinner party I suppose but not much of interest beyond that.

If this is truly a "best of" I'm worried about what the rest must be like.

JML Ceracraft 28cm Ceramic Frying Fry Pan Non Stick Multi Purpose Easy Clean Aluminium & Steel Base Kitchen Utensil (Black & Chrome)
Offered by CostMad-UK
Price: 23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - with some practical drawbacks, 1 Aug 2013
A product that actually lives up to the promise of the infomercial? In my experience this one does. I've found a couple of things that require a little oil to be successful (fried eggs spring to mind) but I've yet to find anything that sticks or stains. And it's a dream to wash (inside and out so far).

BUT - just a couple of drawbacks. I have found the base of the pan tends to scratch and leave marks in my sink (I now put a chopping board underneath it when I'm washing it). Secondly the packaging advises that you should not stack the pans - either with each other or any other pans. If you're stuck for space that might be a problem.

Premium Men's Tie with Stripe Textured - Light Grey
Premium Men's Tie with Stripe Textured - Light Grey
Offered by Retreez

2.0 out of 5 stars Primark special, 21 July 2013
I added this to a shirt purchase to qualify for some sort of discount. It was pretty cheap, supposedly discounted from a much higher price. When it arrived the quality reflected the price I paid for it I suppose. I haven't worn it and suspect it'll go straight to the next jumble sale.

Yurbuds Personalized Size 5 In Blue -
Yurbuds Personalized Size 5 In Blue -
Offered by RunActive Sports Fitness

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and disappointing, 7 July 2013
What you have here is a very ordinary set of headphones which you could pick up very cheaply. The sound quality is not great - rather tinny particularly on spoken word files.

The only distinctive feature is a bit of plastic which fits over the ear piece - lose that (which is very easy to do) and all you are left with is the cheap headphones.

Whilst the buds stay in when inserted properly that is difficult and sometimes painful to do, and in my experience you often get the feeling they are about to fall out - even if you tug on the lead and realise they are "locked in place". It's quite distracting.

I would suggest it is critical you get the right size so I'm not sure buying on line is a great idea. That said, I went through the rather unhygienic experience of trying different sizes which had clearly been in other ears before. Ugh.

Finally, whilst they may be sweat-resistent you still get some sweat between the bud and the ear drum. I guess this is unavoidable but it isn't very pleasant.

My search for the perfect earphones for the gym and jogging continues.

Platinum Collection
Platinum Collection
Price: 12.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too much of a good thing?, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Platinum Collection (MP3 Download)
The genius that is David Bowie has created some amazing music over the years. Owners of this collection realise he's also produced his fair share of the mediocre.

1100 Words You Need to Know (Barron's 1100 Words You Need to Know)
1100 Words You Need to Know (Barron's 1100 Words You Need to Know)
by Murray Bromberg

2.0 out of 5 stars For learners of English not serious vocabulary builders, 27 April 2013
If you struggle with words such as humility, pragmatic or (I kid you not) technology then this is the book for you. Others may find How to Build a Better Vocabulary more helpful, although that comes with its own drawbacks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4