Profile for Steve at Barton > Reviews

Content by Steve at Barton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 197

Steve at Barton (Hampshire)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Melolin 10cm x 20cm (10 Dressings)
Melolin 10cm x 20cm (10 Dressings)
Offered by All Day Pharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Sep 2014
Genuine branded product, just at a much lower price, and with free delivery - arrived a couple of days after ordering. Why buy elsewhere?

Cuprinol 2.5L anti slip Decking Stain Boston Teak
Cuprinol 2.5L anti slip Decking Stain Boston Teak

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, lives up to its name, 9 Aug 2014
Following a house move in 2012, I wanted something to work a miracle on an area of over 80 square yards of badly neglected softwood decking, which at a guess was around 15 years old, and had not been retreated for at least 10 years, if ever. Due to a combination of algae and mould, the surface was quite slippery even in the dry, and when it was wet it was lethal. In the winter it never really got a chance to dry out so was a no go area for most of the time.

After a lot of research, including looking at all the reviews on Amazon, I decided to try Cuprinol Ultra Tough Decking Stain, mainly because it was described as being non-slip.

To prepare the surface I applied a couple of treatments of an algae remover (can't remember the make) which I got from a local shop, but that didn't really make a lot of difference, so I resorted to the jet wash, which was extremely effective. It did leave a slightly rough surface, but I decided that this would probably provide a better key for the stain, so I didn't bother to do any sanding down.

When I opened the first tin I was rather alarmed at the colour which was very orangey, even after a thorough stirring, but went ahead anyway. It went on very easily using a 5 inch fence paint brush, which was the same width as the decking planks. It still looked very orangey once applied, but to my relief it did tone down quite a bit as it dried out. Applying the initial first coat I probably got about 25 square yards of coverage, way short of the claimed 20 square metres for two coats, but given the nature of the surface I was not really surprised. If applied to brand new decking it would obviously go a lot further. After applying a second coat the next day, I am pleased to report that the colour was pretty close to what it should have been (no trace of orange!) and also that the second coat went quite a bit further. Overall I probably managed to cover about 14 square yards per tin, based on two coats. And, most importantly, as there are little gritty particles in the stain, it does seem to live up to the non slip description even when wet.

After three months it still looks very smart, there is no sign of any lifting or deterioration, and the rain now sits on the top of the wood instead of soaking in. So, although I appreciate that it has yet to go through its first winter, I feel that the renovation has turned what was basically an eyesore into something I am very happy to live with, and would be more than happy to use this Cuprinol product again. Once it has been through its first winter I will update this review.

Brother DCP-J132W A4 All-In-One Colour Multifunction Wireless Inkjet Printer
Brother DCP-J132W A4 All-In-One Colour Multifunction Wireless Inkjet Printer
Offered by Box Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got this printer - so far............, 27 July 2014
After a lot of research (and dithering) I finally decided to get the Brother DCP-J132W printer, and so far I am glad I did. I will cover the set up procedure at the end of the review, as that is the most boring bit as far as I am concerned!

On the plus side, it is a nice looking uncluttered machine and is quite compact, the surface is a matt finish so unlike my previous extremely shiny Epson it doesn't show marks, and seems to attract less dust. The paper is loaded into an internal tray which slots into the front of the machine, so it avoids having a paper feed stuck up at the back. It uses four separate ink cartridges, which means you only have to replace them one at a time as each runs out, and the black cartridge is a bit bigger than the others, which seems sensible. Also, the cartridges are loaded into a compartment on the front of the machine so it is much easier to get at them. The machine can be left switched on permanently - after a few minutes it goes into a sleep mode, which allegedly uses almost no power, but means when you do want to print something it is ready almost instantly with none of the annoying and seemingly endless whirring and clattering noises that other machines make, until they decide to allow your print job to proceed, having wasted quantities of ink in the meantime. Printing itself is also comparatively quiet compared to my previous Epson, and the Canon that I had before that. All good so far.

On the downside, there is no automatic double sided printing option, so if you need this then think again - OK, you can print one page at a time and juggle with the paper tray which would be all right for very occasional use but not as a regular thing. On the same note, it would probably not be practical if you need to change the paper very often for printing photos, envelopes, etc. And for some reason the USB socket is inside the machine under the scanner bed - WHY???? It is not easy to find (even Brother seem to admit this, as they put a special sticker on the side of the machine to tell you where it is) and you then have to feed the USB lead out of the back via a special channel, so you might need a longer lead to allow for this (no USB lead is supplied by the way). SO, if a you might need to use a USB connection, beware. The only other adverse comment I have is that the lid for the scanner seems a bit wobbly and insecure when you open it, but this is because it has been designed to accept books for scanning if required, so a straightforward hinging mechanism would not be suitable. I now use both hands when opening the lid - problem sorted.

Now my thoughts about the set up procedure. Like almost any technological item now, the instructions are not particularly user friendly - do manufacturers ever road test their instructions on Joe Public before releasing them? You are provided with a Quick Start Guide which I actually found to be quite good as far as the mechanical stuff was concerned (unpacking, loading paper, loading cartridges etc). Once you have done all that, the machine goes into a cleaning process for several minutes (how did it get dirty in the first place?) and it then offers you a set-up wizard function on the LCD screen, so at that stage I abandoned the Quick Start Guide and went with the wizard. This takes you through various stages, like the date and time, and selecting your wireless network. Entering the password was a bit laborious as you only have a left or right arrow to select each character. It was then just a matter of installing the drivers as necessary. I have a laptop running on Windows 7 Professional, so went to that first as my other devices don't have a CD drive. In the end though I didn't use the CD but did a web search instead, in case the CD version had been updated. There was an option to make the printer available to all other devices on the network, which I selected. So, after about an hour all told, I was up and running, and printing from my laptop, MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone, all with no problem, and the print quality is good.

In summary then, I am very happy with this printer, but it might not suit if you want to use a USB connection, or to swap the paper supply regularly. I am still on the original supplied cartridges, but have got some non-Brother ones ready for when they run out - I will update this review once I have tried these out to confirm whether or not the printer accepted them.

Whitefurze G01RS30 34cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green
Whitefurze G01RS30 34cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and functional plant saucer, 26 July 2014
Nothing fancy, just a nice looking and functional plant saucer. Seems fairly sturdy, although if you want to move pots around then it would probably be wise to move the pot and saucer separately rather than try and drag them together. The 34cm size refers to the overall diameter rim to rim, the actual recess for the pot is 24cm so make sure you allow for this if sizing is critical, although the recess is quite shallow.

Whitefurze G01RS21 24cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green
Whitefurze G01RS21 24cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and functional plant saucer, 21 July 2014
Nothing fancy, just a nice looking and functional plant saucer. Seems fairly sturdy, although if you want to move pots around then it would probably be wise to move the pot and saucer separately rather than try and drag them together. The 24cm size refers to the overall diameter rim to rim, the actual recess for the pot is 17cm so make sure you allow for this if sizing is critical, although the recess is quite shallow.

Whitefurze G01RS25 29cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green
Whitefurze G01RS25 29cm Milano Saucer - Forest Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking and functional plant saucer, 21 July 2014
Nothing fancy, just a nice looking and functional plant saucer. Seems fairly sturdy, although if you want to move pots around then it would probably be wise to move the pot and saucer separately rather than try and drag them together. The 29cm size refers to the overall diameter rim to rim, the actual recess for the pot is 20.5cm so make sure you allow for this if sizing is critical, although the recess is quite shallow.

6 ft (1829 mm) Alloy 1" (25 mm) Aerial Mast
6 ft (1829 mm) Alloy 1" (25 mm) Aerial Mast
Offered by go4products

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate for my purposes, 18 July 2014
Needed a mast to mount the anemometer for a weather station, so didn't want anything too over engineered, this seems just right. Not sure how it would be for a largish TV aerial, but OK for my purposes as the anemometer is quite small and light in weight. Only 4 stars because it was not actually dispatched until several days after I was informed (via Amazon) that it was on its way - not a reflection on the product itself.

6 Wall Bracket + V Bolts
6 Wall Bracket + V Bolts
Offered by Electromart-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick service and a quality item, 14 July 2014
First class service from seller (Aerial, Satellites and Cables Ltd) - ordered late on Wednesday, and arrived via Royal Mail 24 on Friday. The bracket itself looks very sturdy and well made and came complete with appropriate fixings - 2" coach bolts and the correct size wall plugs. It will be used to mount an anemometer for my new weather station so will be perfectly adequate for that purpose, once the mast I ordered at the same time (from a different seller) arrives. Overall a very satisfactory buying experience.

Mepore Dressing 6cm x 7cm (60 pack)
Mepore Dressing 6cm x 7cm (60 pack)
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, 27 Jun 2014
Quick delivery from Medideals, and a very competitive price, highly recommended. Hopefully I will not need to order any more, but if I do then I will go straight to Amazon.

Set of 3 I Love Basingstoke 25mm Fridge Magnets
Set of 3 I Love Basingstoke 25mm Fridge Magnets
Offered by Random-Badge-Emporium

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, 27 Jun 2014
Fridge magnet was sent the same day it was ordered, and arrived very quickly. It did seem quite small at 25mm, but this was the size quoted in the listing, and it was well made.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3