Profile for J. Pawsey > Reviews

Content by J. Pawsey

J. Pawsey "j" (UK)

Freeform Crochet and Beyond (Milner Craft (Paperback))
Freeform Crochet and Beyond (Milner Craft (Paperback))
by Renate Kirkpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars More is more, 3 Oct. 2009
Excellent, inspiring and great fun. It's not so much a how-to guide, though there are clear instructions for some stitch combinations. But mostly it just opens your mind to the possibilities, and to when it's a real advantage not to know when to stop!
I should say though, the hat I made for my sister is now adorning her teapot rather than her head, because she is a more sober and sensible person than me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2011 4:41 PM GMT

Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
by Winifred Aldrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 29 May 2009
The first section of this book deals with drawing and cutting pattern blocks, that's like the basics of pattern design. Then it shows you how to adapt those blocks to end up with different shapes and effects. There are more types of sleeves, collars, frills, etc than I thought possible!
It is hard work, as learning anything this complicated and 3D from a book will always be difficult. I've spent a long time scratching my head, and also referring to sewing encyclopaedias. But I'm really really pleased to be able to design things that actually fit me! It's the one time it's really good to be a non-standard shape - you know it's going to be worth the time and effort to design things specially.