Profile for Olive > Reviews

Content by Olive

Olive (Glasgow)

KERI Part 1: The Early Years (Child Abuse True Stories)
KERI Part 1: The Early Years (Child Abuse True Stories)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsure, 11 Mar. 2013
I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Some of it sounds fairly plausible and believable on the face of it, but I have doubts about how factual or 'true' this story actually is based on the things written about Jimmy Savile and other celebrities at the BBC in the sequel to this, which I find implausible to say the least and don't believe for a second, and am rather concerned how such implausible and unchecked stories have managed to cause so much trouble for so many in recent months...

KERI Part 3: Keri Karin (Child Abuse True Stories)
KERI Part 3: Keri Karin (Child Abuse True Stories)

1.0 out of 5 stars The next Kathy O'Beirne!!!, 3 Mar. 2013
Unbeliveable!! Especially the bits about the trips to BBC television centre and all the celebrities!!!

If you enjoyed 'Kathy's story' by Kathy O'Beirne, you might like this too. ;)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 3:25 PM GMT

Sony Xperia S Sim Free Smartphone - White
Sony Xperia S Sim Free Smartphone - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 9 Sept. 2012
I got this phone a few weeks ago, I also have a Samsung Galaxy S III and overall I prefer this one, they both do pretty much the same things but there are a few little features in this one which aren't in the Galaxy S III that, for me anyway, make it a little more enjoyable to use e.g the predictive text on the keyboard is amazing (i'm starting to wonder if it can read my mind ;) ), I like the way you can opt to divert certain numbers straight to voicemail (I haven't noticed that feature on the S III), little fun things like being able to lock your screen with a personalised pattern make it more interesting to use, it also has an HDMI port, which the S III doesn't have, the layout and some of the wigets and apps offered as part of the phone are quite fun, attractive and useful too and the external camera button makes accessing the camera and taking pictures alot quicker and easier aswell.
However, although I find this phone attractive and a little bit more fun to use than the Samsung Galaxy S III, from a practical point of view, the battery on the Galaxy S III is far better and could probably see you through a 10 hour bus journey, listening to music, browsing the net, making phone calls etc, but this could not, i'd feel lucky with about 5 hours (a standard i've been used to with most previous phones i've owned aswell), also the S III has a memory card slot which, although both phones have a lot of memory built in already, I always find quick and handy when transfering data to a new phone, unfortunately this does not have one of these, but I guess there are other ways of transfering and backing up data e.g via the computer. The only other slight issues I have with the Sony Xperia S is that I haven't yet found a way of using my personal music as an alarm tone to wake me up (thats if you even can), which is easy and straight forward with the S III, it doesn't allow you to create folders within the app tray which, although not that important, I feel would help keep your apps tidy and organised, make them easier to organise and also easier to find and the camera is not as great as I probably expected either (I think the S III's is possibly slightly better, though I haven't really compared them properly yet). It's also probably worth mentioning that, although this doesn't necessarily bother me, the keyboard could be a bit small for bigger fingers but, if you find that, you could maybe just get yourself a touch screen stylus to make it easier.
That said, overall i'm very pleased with the Sony Xperia S, I only got it a few weeks ago and am probably still learning how to use it and all it's features but generally prefer it to the Samsung Galaxy S III (which is more expensive) and think the only really big short coming is the battery life which is nowhere near as good as the Samsung Galaxy S III's battery life but at least as good, probably better, than most other phones i've owned and if I hadn't used the S III first I probably wouldn't even be bringing up the poor battery life. It's still a great phone and i'm glad I bought it. ;)

The Chronicles Of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe [DVD]
The Chronicles Of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Dempsey
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars I saw this when I wasn't even 4 years old yet . . ., 28 July 2012
When I saw this on tv I in 1988 I was about 2 and a half months from my 4th birthday and my sister was about 3 and from her 2nd birthday, I still remember it quite well considering I was only 3 years old and it was nearly 24 years ago!! Don't know if my sister does but I remember we both thoroughly enjoyed it at the time (and the 'special' or as another reviewer said (not so special) effects didn't seem bad to us, in fact I was probably quite impressed, lol
Good entertainment for very young children, I had no difficulty following the plot and was able to understand what was going on, though my mother seemed to enjoy watch this TVs series very much so i'd say it's worth a buy and have ordered a copy for my little cousins . . . ツ

Book of the Law: 100th Anniversary Edition
Book of the Law: 100th Anniversary Edition
by Aleister Crowley

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 19 April 2012
I thought this was utter nonsense (it's not really worthy of a review).
Unless this was written as a joke, the author seems to me to be an immature, childish, idiot trying to write something that flys in the face, more or less, to the message the bible has.
Ofcourse pretentious idiots that can't think for themselves will probably try and tell me I just didn't understand it or even don't have the intelligence to understand it. And they may be right about the first part, I don't think I did totally understand what it said as it is written in ye olde English (when the book was written in 1904). I think i'm reasonably intelligent, English is my first language and I did quite well with English at school, so if I can't understand it, then my guess is a hell of alot of people might have the same problem. The bible is an extremely old book - hence when it was translated in the 17th centuary it was translated into the language of the time in England, e.g ye olde English. This book was was written in 1904, why coundn't he have written it in the language of that time? He was pretentious thats why, and very immature. No doubt rebelling against his strict Quaker upbringing where his family never celebrated Christmas - thats why there is all this talk of feasts, thats if he is being literal - but again, if you want people to understand the message in your book, make your meaning clearer, same goes for the bible (though it has years of being translated into different languages, being repeatedly hand copied and being many centuaries old as an excuse to a degree).

On the plus side it's a short book so perhaps you won't feel too cheated out of your precious time by reading it. I didn't like it though - if you told me it was written by a geeky 13 year old i'd have believed you . . . ;)
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2015 10:55 PM GMT

Highland Wineries Cherry Wine 13.5% Fruit Wine
Highland Wineries Cherry Wine 13.5% Fruit Wine

4.0 out of 5 stars The nicest fruit wine i've tasted, 14 Feb. 2011
This has been the nicest fruit wine I have tasted (although I couldn't taste any ginger and it wasn't mentioned on the bottle).
It is very sweet but smells of cherries and tastes of cherries, and thats all (no musty taste, like you might notice with some fruit wines)you can barely taste the alcohol either, which was quite a surprise for me, as you can with most fruit wines i've tasted.
Would recommend to anyone with a sweet tooth and doesn't mind trying something a bit different (aswell as those who love the raspberry sauce you get on ice cream, yum!!!) ;)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Too sweet to be wholesome (deliscious), 14 Feb. 2011
The bottle shown looks just like the bottle I tried, in which there was no fruit and ginger (although that sounds just as yummy). . . ;)

This product is delisious, like watered down clear honey, it tastes great and smells great and you can barely taste the alcohol (hard to belive it's 14.5%!)

Can't help but wonder why I haven't heard of this drink before now, it beats ordinary grape wine hands down and honey flavored ligures like Glayva (it's just as nice as Glayva but not so sticky).

I would recommend this to everyone, it was nectar to my senses, yum!!!

Gunpowder, Treason And Plot [DVD] [2004]
Gunpowder, Treason And Plot [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by Disc-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars I quite liked this . . ., 22 Mar. 2010
This was ok and reasonably historically acurate, alot of things like personal realationships, personally opinion etc are open 2 interpretaion anyway, and perhaps only the people directly involved will know the real truth . . .
I enjoyed the second half better than the first as it's more houmorous, it would hav been good to see more of James VI & I in his younger years though as the film skips from Mary Queen of Scots arrest when James was about one years old to James as a 21 year old, but he'd actually been king since he was one year old, & i'm sure as he got older lived quite an interesting live, rumors he was gay, relationships with men etc . . .
However I like it, James was funny and portrayed as a bit of an idiot, perhaps a bit over the top, but I suppose you could call that satire, i'm sure although he may not have seemed an idiot at the time, people these days would find many of his ideas ridiculous e.g beliving he was god srepresentative one earth and need only answer to god & not appreciating the need to co-operate with parliament. I liked the relationship between him and his wife, quite re-alistic, but in a funny way - it was a marrage of con-vieniece afterall & he was gay, they never went in2 his homosexuality much tho . . .
It focuses on the gunpowder plot, which I suppose is quite interesting subject matter, and how the culprits were foiled, I always thought guyfawkes was burnt on a bonfire, al maybe check, lol . . .
I think this dvd propably tries 2 span to large a time period so can't go in 2 much detail with either Mary Queen of Scots or James and apart from the whole protestent and cathotlic thing I don't really see the reliavence Mary Queen of Scots had to the gun powder plot. Perhaps it would have been better if they were delt with as separate films or there was a third episode between the two telling us how James grew up and showing
us a bit more about the king and the catholic situation, him inheriting the english throne and then the gun powder plot, I think it would flow a bit better that way, but it's still a good film . . .