Profile for Wonderwoman > Reviews

Love & Misadventure
Love & Misadventure
by Lang Leav

5.0 out of 5 stars A book as beautiful as love and poetry itself, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Love & Misadventure (Paperback)
Poetry lover/liker or not, this book is a beautiful treasure to be discovered and devoured. I discovered Lang Leav's poetry on Tumblr and was immediately engrossed in the artistry and heart and soul of her words. They really touched me, and honestly helped me in a way I was not at all expecting. I'm an avid reader, and sometimes writer of poetry myself, and Lang is now definitely one of my favourite writers. She has such a fresh original voice, and the timeless message of her words will undoubtedly touch so many hearts, as it has mine.

I love everything about her book, the exquisite imagery that made my imagination euphoric. The structuring of her book, which is so creatively thoughtful and tells a story of its own. The titles of each poem are also very thought provoking and beautiful (I don't like to repeat adjectives, but they truly are nothing short of beautiful). The way her words are arranged, to their rhythm and rhyme, each poem felt like a dance, a celebration, a fireworks display.

As quickly as I read the book, I did not want it to end, and I feel as though something as touching and wonderful as poetry itself is the only way to appreciate and praise this book. I will not attempt a meta poem, but I will definately and most wholeheartedly recommend this book! Of over 100 books I've bought from Amazon over the years, this is one that I felt extremely compelled to write a review about, because I hope others will get similar joy, peace, wonder, contentment, comfort, happiness and if needed, renewed hope that I got from Lang's words. But of course, the beauty of poetry about love is in its multitude of meanings and messages it carries and emotions it evokes which are unique for every reader.

The magic and power of someone pouring their heart out into words that can touch so many souls they will never meet, will never cease to amaze me.

Lastly in the words of John Green: "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book." ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim woman seeks the One
by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite book, so proud to have this voice represent me, 2 Mar 2009
I read this book in just a few days and it was absolutely amazing! It's exactly the kind of book we need in this day and age to represent the vast majority of unrepresented muslim women.

I greatly respect the author, the book was totally free of any cultural bias and opens our eyes to the double standards in asian society with men and women that have no place in Islam.
She reiterated so well, not only the importance of women and their status in Islam, but also their partaking and rights in finding their life partner and marriage.

I could relate to almost everything in this book not just as a british asian muslim woman, but just as a human being. Her story is really inspiring and beautifully honest and written with so much heartwarming humour. Definately one of my all time favourite books.

I recommend this to everyone, it was extremely insightful and i learnt alot. It breaks stereotypes and enlightens us on what educated muslim women are like today and how all women should be treated.
Thank you so much for this most brilliant book!