Profile for Suzanne Comberousse > Reviews

Content by Suzanne Comber...

Suzanne Comberousse "Suzanne C." (Paris, France)

My Book of Simple Subtraction (Kumon Workbooks)
My Book of Simple Subtraction (Kumon Workbooks)
by Kumon

5.0 out of 5 stars Kumon, 14 April 2011
If this review looks familiar, it's because it's essentially the same as one I have posted elsewhere. The information is the same, and bears repeating - I am not on commission or affiliated to Kumon in any way!

I love the Kumon maths program. I wish I'd had access to them during my schooldays when maths was a complete nightmare! Now it's my son's turn, and he agrees that Kumon workbooks are fantastic. If you're not familiar with them, here's why:

They have large, easy to read type.This is perfect for younger children or children who find small type difficult to read.

No illustrations in the Addition and Subtraction workbooks. This means the child can concentrate on the exercises. Pictures may make other books look pretty, but if your child is already having difficulty with maths, they can be very distracting.

The sums in the early books are repetitive enough for the child to memorise the answers without realising he's doing so.

Each page has just one exercise of twenty questions - no more, no less. The child can therefore do one or two exercises in a reasonable amount of time every day and get a real sense of progression. Each book has 80 pages of exercises, at a rate of, say, one or two pages per day, five days a week, the child has completed the whole book in around ten weeks. This gave my son an enormous sense of achievement. Far better than spending forever doing half a dozen exercises from the same page in the same book, which he found completely discouraging. He was actually motivated to get on to the next book!

I recommend Kumon to anyone who wants to help their child with maths. If they are at Primary school and having problems with maths, this would reassure them that in fact maths isn't that hard. If you are homeschooling, the Kumon program is very comprehensive. Everything you need to know about maths is there. Five stars.

I would just add that if you have the Kumon book of Simple Subtraction it is not necessary to get Grade one Subtraction.They cover exactly the same ground. One or the other is enough (unless the child is really struggling a lot and needs double the amount of exercises, but it's hard to imagine this for most children).

Addition Grade 1 (Kumon Math Workbooks)
Addition Grade 1 (Kumon Math Workbooks)
by Michiko Tachimoto

5.0 out of 5 stars Kumon Addition Grade 1, 14 April 2011

I would just add that if you have the Kumon book of Easy Addition it is not necessary to get Grade one Addition.They cover exactly the same ground. One or the other is enough (unless the child is really struggling a lot and needs double the amount of exercises, but it's hard to imagine this for most children).

William Shakespeare Complete Works Ultimate Collection: 213 Plays, Poems, Sonnets, Poetry including the 16 rare, hard-to-get Apocryphal Plays PLUS Annotations, Commentaries of Works, Full Biography

5.0 out of 5 stars What Kindle is made for, 8 Mar. 2011
As I had another version of the complete works of Shakespeare in old-fashioned book format, I hesitated a while before buying the same thing for Kindle. What was the point? I knew most of the plays anyway, being a WS fangirl. I was finally tempted by the apocryphal content. A couple I had heard of, but most of them I didn't know.

One of the advantages of the Kindle (and forgive me for stating the obvious) is that no matter what size the material you are reading is, your book format remains the same. And this is no small consideration when you're dealing with a writer as prolific as Will. My paper and ink version is an absolute doorstep and therefore I'm hardly going to pick it up to re-read Hamlet, however much I love the play. Now, however, it's as simple as clicking on the list in the table of contents.

The layout is easy to read, the content doesn't need me to review it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying spending time with old friends. Five stars.

Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum: A Practical Resource of Play Ideas for Parents and Carers
by Julia Moor

5.0 out of 5 stars My child is on the autism spectrum - what can *I* do?, 19 Jan. 2011
I bought this book some time ago now and I must say it has helped me a great deal. When my son was first diagnosed I knew that I wanted to participate in his therapy in some way - after all he spends the majority of his time with me. However as I am not trained in ABA nor in any other therapy used with children who have autism, I was at a complete loss to know what to do or where to start.

This book really answered my questions. I didn't need any background knowledge to read it. It was straightforward and clear, without using any of the annoying jargon that you so often encounter in books about autism, and full of simple ideas on how to go about engaging with my son.

The book also reassured me that just because I don't have a psychology degree doesn't mean I can't help my son and engage with him.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to interact with a child on the autism spectrum. Remember, even ten or fifteen minutes a day of play soon adds up over the weeks and months to hours and hours of floor time and best of all, it's not as hard as you might think. Five stars.

My Brother is Different: A Book for Young Children Who Have a Brother or Sister with Autism
by Louise Gorrod

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple explanations for a complicated topic, 19 Jan. 2011
This is a great book. The language is simple without being condescending, the illustrations are attractive and the difficulties are clearly explained.

What I particularly liked is the way it gives clear examples of problem behaviour and then explains why they occur, without just resorting to the simplistic non-response of 'He does it because he's autistic'. My son recognised his brother on almost every page and definitely felt relieved to learn that he wasn't the only one who lived with the issue of having a brother on the autism spectrum.

A book to read, re-read and reassure. Five stars. Can you bring one out for adults too please, that I can give to people on the bus or in the supermarket queue?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2011 11:10 AM BST

Fonem8 - Kindle Keyboard 3G, Wi-Fi Executive Pro Book Case Cover Luxury Executive Wallet - Black - Includes Free Screen Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for a good price, 19 Jan. 2011
Call me stingy but I've already paid enough for my Kindle, I didn't want to pay through the nose for a cover. I know it needs one but the Amazon versions seemed very expensive for what they were.So I bought this black leather FoneM8 case for my Kindle a couple of weeks ago now and I think it is a great product. The Kindle sits very snugly inside the case, I don't need to remove it for charging and it looks good.

I also appreciate the screen protector included - I had intended to buy one separately and with this product I didn't need to.

The left hand side of the case when you open it (the side which doesn't have the Kindle in it) has some credit/business card size pockets which I suppose are for holding bookmarks? (That was a joke before anyone asks) I suppose that's where the pro/executive bit comes in.

I very much recommend this item, it looks good and is excellent value. Five stars.

Galt Toys 6850008 Folding Trampoline
Galt Toys 6850008 Folding Trampoline

4.0 out of 5 stars Great indoor play, 16 April 2008
I bought this for my four year old son and I must say it was money well spent. He absolutely loves it and is never off it - in fact we had to buy a little timer so that he would occasionally stop playing on it and do something else! It is lucky that we opted for the folding model as we can put it away from time to time to give other toys a chance. Initially I was slightly worried that a folding trampoline might be less sturdy than an ordinary model but those fears have proved to be completely unfounded. It's a solid, well made toy.

The only problem I had was that the elastic bungee cord, after around six months of (admittedly rather intensive) use, frayed and broke. However I was able to replace it by going on Galt's website and ordering a new one at a cost of around £5. The nylon covering which protects the elastic has also frayed, but I think that is normal considering the heavy use my son has made of his trampoline. I would definitely recommend this model for anyone considering buying an indoor trampoline.