Profile for Fiona Swinton > Reviews

Content by Fiona Swinton

Fiona Swinton (Kings Langley, Herts United Kingdom)

Sorcery Rising: Of Fools Gold Bk.1
Sorcery Rising: Of Fools Gold Bk.1
by Jude Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Jude Fisher's debut novel, 20 July 2002
I have two things to admit. 1. I am not a huge 'fantasy' reader and 2. I do know the author. But don't dismiss my comments because of the above, as I am an avid reader of fiction (we are talking two novels a week) and so I am actually pretty hard to please. I was looking forward to the publication of Socery Rising. I had read and enjoyed Jude's collaborations as one half of Gabriel King but I was more than blown away by her first solo writing adventure.
In essence, it is a story of two feuding 'nations', the Eyrans from the North and the Istrians from the South, who have an uneasy truce but who have gathered together for the annual Allfair. Add to this steaming cauldron the nomads - the Footloose - purveyors of charms and until now harmless potions -who have come all over Elda and the Master's runaway apprentice, Virelai, with Beta the cat and the strange but beautiful woman, Rosa Eldi and very perplexing things start to happen. The status quo has well and truly been ripped apart - and no man or woman is untouched by the sorcery pervading the Allfair. Men are possessed, some are reduced to violence, some to powerful obsessions whether it be of women, riches or land and a few realise a power - a 'sixth sense' if you like, that is both beneficial and dangerous. There are some great characters in this story, in fact so many, I hardly have the space to list them. My favourite is the courageous, head-strong, athletic and very gifted Katla. She features strongly in this the first book of the Fool's Gold series and hope that we may see plenty of her in the following books.
I was charmed by the author's magical and poetic use of language. I was gripped by the horrifying and sometimes violent scenes and I adored Jude's sense of place and person. I felt her lands and her characters really did exist - I wish! But most of all, and most importantly, Sorcery Rising is a compulsive page turner and I for one cannot wait for book two. Can someone please hurry Jude up?!
Fiona Swinton