Profile for Tomas Vondra > Reviews

Content by Tomas Vondra

Tomas Vondra (Czech Republic, Europe)

Oracle PL/SQL Programming
Oracle PL/SQL Programming
by Steven Feuerstein

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 22 Jun. 2009
I've bought this book a few years ago along with the "Oracle Database 10g PL/SQL programming" from Scott Urman, Ron Hardman and Michael Mclaughlin. Comparing these two books, the one from O'Reilly is much more thorough and provides considerably more information about various 'gotchas' and problems related to the topic.

I don't say the other one is not good - I generally do recommend it as an introductory material, and then use the book from O'Reilly for a really thorough study. If you want to buy only one of them, buy this one!

Oracle Database 10g PL/SQL Programming (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g PL/SQL Programming (Oracle Press)
by Scott Urman

4.0 out of 5 stars a very good introductory material, 22 Jun. 2009
I've bought this book a few years ago along with the "Oracle PL/SQL programming" from Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl. Comparing these two books, the one from O'Reilly is much more thorough and provides considerably more information about various 'gotchas' and problems related to the topic.

I don't say this book is not good - it's a well organized book and I generally do recommend it as an introductory material, but then use the book from O'Reilly for a really thorough study. So I definitely was not disappointed by this book, but if I had to buy only one of them I'd buy the one from O'Reilly.

J2EE Design Patterns
J2EE Design Patterns
by William Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to J2EE for me, 22 Dec. 2006
This review is from: J2EE Design Patterns (Paperback)
I bought this book about 2 months ago and it served me as a great introduction into J2EE platform. This book definitely is not a detailed reference guide to all the features in J2EE nor it is a pattern catalogue (though there is a list of J2EE patterns in an appendix) - it just gives you an overview of problems you have to solve in enterprise applications and the 'proper' ways to solve them in J2EE. Don't expect huge amounts of source code or step-by-step tutorial how to build enterprise application.

And the last chapter - J2EE antipatterns - is an excellent tutorial 'how not to do it' ie. solutions that look great at the beginning but became a nightmare during the application's lifetime.

Anyway, great book for all of you who know at lest little about Java (intermediate level is absolutely fine) and enterprise applications (generally just what are we trying to solve in those) - this book will give you an overview of tools available in J2EE.