Profile for Bookman > Reviews

Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM]
Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM]
by John H Dobson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate User-Friendly Hebrew for Beginners, 21 Jan. 2011
Wonderful book which follows the method of the author's more widely known Biblical Greek course. The way in which material is presented allows for rapid progress and you'll be reading meaningful texts in a few short hours. This book is so readable that it just leads you on - you may not want to put it down. Audio CD (not CD-ROM as advertised) included to help with pronunciation and recognition. No glossary at the back but material is presented side by side in both languages so none needed. Enjoyable learning activities at the end of every chapter. Highly recommended!

501 Hebrew Verbs (Barron's Foreign Language Guides) (Barron's 501 Hebrew Verbs)
501 Hebrew Verbs (Barron's Foreign Language Guides) (Barron's 501 Hebrew Verbs)
by Shmuel Bolozky

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Intermediate Learners, 21 Jan. 2011
Very thorough coverage of verbs and derivatives (over 1500 in all),but all paradigms in Hebrew so you should feel confident with the aleph-bet. Informative introduction of 20 pages but some might find it a bit technical. Entries arranged alphabetically by root but also two-way Eng-Heb / Heb-Eng indices. Easy to use if you know what you're looking for. Maybe not for the absolute beginner but if you're serious you should have this if only because there's not much in the way of alternatives.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 12:04 PM BST

Far East Chinese-English Dictionary. With traditional, simplified and romanized forms.
by S. Liang

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book But..., 2 Aug. 2010
This is a nice book and very exhaustive in its content although the print is very small. Still, it could hardly be kept in compact form otherwise. I'm sure that I'll come to consult it a lot in future BUT it's not actually the book I expected. The book that I had in mind is arranged differently ( I found a copy in Liverpool Central Library some time ago)and has a different ISBN number. I found it on the web a couple of years ago and kept the details in a file on my PC. Annoyingly my hard drive packed up shortly afterwards and the precise details were lost, so I had to rely on what I could remember and the description on Amazon was the closest that I could find. A clear description of its content in the absence of a preview of the working pages of the book would have made this obvious and probably helped me find exactly what I was looking for. No complaints about the book itself or the service.