Profile for E. Neill > Reviews

Content by E. Neill

E. Neill "CSP reader" (near London)

Meet The Sloths [DVD]
Meet The Sloths [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lucy Cooke
Offered by The Canny Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Meet The Sloths [DVD] (DVD)
too cutesy - anthropomorphic although I loved watching the sloths

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
by Eve Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opener, 26 Nov 2013
very quick to read - liked the style of writing; this was our reading group nomination and it has been quite thought provoking - if it's even half accurate in describing strict Jewish behaviour I found it quite sad that the characters could be quite so wrapped up in their rules as to behave the way they did - especially in cosmopolitan modern London
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 9:44 PM BST

Brother MFC-J4410DW A4 Inkjet All-In-One Wireless Printer, Scanner, Copier and Fax with A3 Capabilities

3.0 out of 5 stars fiddly to install, 26 Nov 2013
instructions written poorly - and safety leaflet laughable (along the lines of 'if you drop this on your foot it will hurt') - so far it seems to work OK but it does seem very flimsy and is noisy; quick to print once it has lurched into action

The Angels' Share (Uncut Version) [Blu-ray]
The Angels' Share (Uncut Version) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

1.0 out of 5 stars Vaguely funny, 19 Mar 2013
I gave up part way through but my husband enjoyed it. Slow to get started; one or two strong characters. I'm told It sort of had a happy ending.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2014 10:30 AM GMT

Potiche [DVD] [2010]
Potiche [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Catherine Deneuve

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but in a good way, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Potiche [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
It has a great snapshot of what ( I suspect) life was like for women in France of the 60s & 70s. The clothes alone are amusing. Not much of a plot but it's amusing.

Nights At The Circus
Nights At The Circus
by Angela Carter

2.0 out of 5 stars just wierd, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Nights At The Circus (Paperback)
Only read this as it was for our book group otherwise I dont think I would have tried it. It started out ok but then I just got lost - too surreal for me.

An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
by Michael Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the writing style - story fantastic, 6 May 2012
I was so disappointed in the way this was written - badly edited and far too repetitious. I did not need to be told over and over again that, for example, Crean was gregarious. For a biography I thought the author made too many assumptions about how people were feeling when he didn't have primary sources to supply that information. The pictures and the content made me persevere to the end and I was overwhelmed by how Crean survived - good too to get the story up to the end of his life rather than just the heroic phase. But I would not try anything else by this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 5:55 PM BST

Kodak Genuine 10BXL Ink Cartridge - Black (770 Pages)
Kodak Genuine 10BXL Ink Cartridge - Black (770 Pages)
Offered by CrazyKangaroo

2.0 out of 5 stars hungry printer, 21 Jan 2012
dont know if its the printer or just my bad luck with genuine Kodak cartridges but I have been using the 770 page black cartridges since first buying printer about 18 months ago and the printer showed me yesterday when I had to change it yet again that I have used 8 black cartidges (and 6 colour ones) over 1600 sheets - that sounds like about 200 pages per cartridge - not quite their 770 - that includes lots of test sheets and cleaning - wouldn't buy kodak again
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2012 10:04 AM GMT

Galapagos Islands Explorer: Visitor's Map of the Galapagos Islands (Ocean Explorer Maps)
by Nigel Sitwell
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars great aid to tracking where we were going!, 19 July 2011
I'd bought a kindle guide book & realised the maps within the text, as graphics, would not expand so bought this map at the last minute and it was great - better than the "public" one on our boat - with lots of interesting details.

Behind a Mask: The Unknown Thrillers of Louisa May Alcott
Behind a Mask: The Unknown Thrillers of Louisa May Alcott
by Madeleine B. Stern

4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden life of Louisa, 2 Dec 2009
We found out about these stories written by Louisa Alcott under a pseudonym on a visit to the Alcott house in Concord, Mass this autumn and I was intrigued to read some of them. This book contains 4 of several she wrote. The introduction to how and why she wrote them is quite useful - we had heard a lot of it on our visit to the house but otherwise it would all have been new. They are good pageturners - and pretty well contrived. Not too serious stuff but a good read - and nothing like Little Women!