Profile for Samuel J. Patterson > Reviews

Content by Samuel J. Patt...

Samuel J. Patterson "An Awesome of Awesome Awesomeness" (The UK)

Once I Was An Eagle
Once I Was An Eagle
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Marling's Masterpiece, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Once I Was An Eagle (Audio CD)
Laura Marling's masterpiece of an album. This is her finest work to date. (Note that this review was written after Short Movie was released. If you're going to start with Laura Marling, start here.) This album is completely captivating. I can't recommend it highly enough. It is a constant, unwavering companion.

The Happiness Hypothesis: Putting Ancient Wisdom to the Test of Modern Science
The Happiness Hypothesis: Putting Ancient Wisdom to the Test of Modern Science
by Jonathan Haidt

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book out there, 1 Jun. 2015
This is my favourite book of all time. I actually love it so much, that I buy copies of it for my friends and family, just because I think they need to read it so much. It offers incredible insight, and Haidt writes wonderfully, so that even if you're not an academic, you can still fully comprehend what he writes about. It's not just another soppy self-help book, but rather an analysis of other self-help systems. Blending science and philosophy with an expert hand, Haidt crafts one of the finest books of our generation.

Vows
Vows
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Immeasurable talent, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Vows (Audio CD)
Kimbra's début album is one of my all-time favourite albums. No two songs are alike as Kimbra plays with a plethora of sounds and styles. From the opening to the end, Kimbra impresses with not only her originality and creative song-writing, but also with her powerhouse of a voice. A stunning album from one of the greatest talents out there.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

5.0 out of 5 stars Spell-binding book, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
Few books can create a magical world so vividly as The Night Circus. Picking this up in Waterstones to compliment a "Buy One Get One Half Price" offer, this has quickly become one of my favourites. The story and world that Morgenstern creates is truly spell-binding. A very strong recommendation.

The Humans
The Humans
by Matt Haig

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly stunning piece of literature, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Humans (Paperback)
I finished this book in a train station somewhere in France, tears streaming down my face. This book, simply put, is divine. One of my favourite pieces of fiction, and, I would argue, probably my favourite solo piece of fiction. The book is, true to its name, incredibly human, offering deeply profound insight into humanity whilst never being boring. Funny, touching, striking; it should sit atop everyone's library.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by PROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous original, 1 Jun. 2015
Will always be one of my all-time favourite games. The 5th anniversary edition surprised me by containing both expansion packs, something I was not expecting for the price. Obviously, the graphics are not as good as Skyrim, but Oblivion is a tour-de-force of a game. It comes highly recommended for its excellent plot, hours and hours of gameplay, character and development ability and general awesomeness!

FROOT
FROOT

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album with some exceptional tracks, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: FROOT (Audio CD)
A very solid album with some truly excellent tracks (FROOT, Blue, Better Than That, Immortal, and my personal favourite, Savages) from Welsh talent Marina and the Diamonds. If you've not heard of her before, Id recommend you start at the beginning, The Family Jewels, and work your way up to this album. I recently saw her in concert and she only proves just how incredible a performer, singer and songwriter she is.

Short Movie
Short Movie

5.0 out of 5 stars A continuation of great talent, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Short Movie (Audio CD)
Laura Marling is one of the greatest singer/songwriters working today. Her latest work, Short Movie, continues to expose her talents. You can hear her ever-growing confidence in her guitar playing and vocals, as well as in the content of the songs themselves. A beautiful, beautiful album.

Tropical Brainstorm
Tropical Brainstorm
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite albums of all time, 1 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Tropical Brainstorm (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums of all time. I personally think it should grace the shelves of everybody's CD collection. Simply an outstanding piece of work.

13 Tales Of Love And Revenge
13 Tales Of Love And Revenge
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pierces Have Captured My Heart, 14 Aug. 2011
This album is one of the most refreshing and charming albums I have purchased in a very long time. The songs, all written or co-written by the Pierce sisters are enchanting and enthralling.

Allison and Catherine Pierce have sublime voices and immense talent. There is not a single song on this album I do not love! They are all moving and in some ay, an experience.

Stop reading and buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 1:17 PM GMT