Profile for P. Nagle > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Humax HDR-2000T Freeview with HD TV Recorder
Humax HDR-2000T Freeview with HD TV Recorder
Price: 164.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if less sophisticated than earlier model..., 23 May 2014
I chose the 2000T without really digging into the details and therefore was not aware that some of my favourite features of the older model had been lost. These days you assume more features will be crammed in just because. Fortunately it works well enough and to date has only missed the ending of one program. Of the missing features, my wife misses the time display and other informational stuff (this model has a red or blue light - red meaning either stand-by or 'recording', blue meaning 'on') but I really miss bookmarks. I'm probably in a minority but I used this feature a lot previously to mark key sections in films etc., usually dialogue. It's also not quite as straighforward to find future programs in the schedule for reservation. I also prefer the way the old one showed you how far you were through watching something. When you have a wife falling asleep and wondering how long the film is going to last, these things matter...
My final (minor) gripe is that the recommendation process is a bit flawed. It will give you suggestions for series to record and, if you take them, you can end up with partial recordings rather than complete series. I'm avoiding that now. I'd also like a way to turn off the constant suggestions I can watch a program in HD, at least until I have an HD telly attached. Presumably it has no way of detecting whether the HDMI cable is attached.
Hey it's good to moan and now I feel much better! Actually otherwise we're pretty happy. It seems far better than the old one at getting the start of programs right, the quality is fine, the scheduler easy to use. The machine is smaller, lighter BUT has an annoying external power supply (the older model was internal) that doesn't it in the crammed set of plugs behind the telly. Which reminds me, must order a new 4-way from somewhere.
I'd probably look a bit closer before buying next time. My assumption it would have all the good features of the older model was simple laziness on my part, but then I am a bit of an old woman when it comes to electrical gear. YMMV.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2014 6:36 PM BST

Toshiba Satellite C855-2F7 15.6-inch Notebook (Red) - (Intel Core i3-2348M 2.3GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, Windows 8, USB 3.0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Flimsier than previous Satellites, 12 Sep 2013
I've got into the habit of buying Toshiba Satellites and they've been getting gradually less impressive each time. I think next time I'll look for something else. The keyboard bends visibly as you type - and it's a pretty terrible keyboard too if you're a typist. The whole construction seems light and insubstantial and if I'd known what it was going to be like I'd probably have shopped locally and bought a different model, one with Windows 7. So far I'm convinced Windows 8 is either a bad joke or a virus.

Motionperformance Quality Phono Pre-amplifier Phone Turntable with Built-in RIAA Equalization
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, should come with power supply, 21 July 2013
It's a simple enough thing and it works. But I didn't read the small print and therefore did not realise I would not be able to use it until I went and purchased a power supply, guessing which one would be suitable as the box doesn't say what current it needs, or at least I couldn't find it. Stuff should work when you get it. Other than that, not a lot to say.

Celestron 22051 LCM 80 Computerised Refractor Telescope
Celestron 22051 LCM 80 Computerised Refractor Telescope
Price: 239.99

4.0 out of 5 stars So many clouds so little time, 5 Mar 2013
The telescope is solidly-constructed, perhaps a taller tripod might have been nice as there's a fair bit of crouching on the floor involved to see objects overheard or at least high in the sky.
It took me a while to get to try it properly as we seem to get one night per week that's clear at the moment. It also took a while to work out the best method to calibrate it, the telescope arrives believing you're in the US but having finally entered the longitude and latitude and made a note of some of the best stars to use to set it up, I was finally able to let it work.
The tripod does move slightly as you're focusing, perhaps because our decking isn't rock-solid, and I've still not got up at 2am to get a decent look at Saturn. But my first view of the moon and of Jupiter was enough to make me realise: this is a way, way better telescope than I had as a kid and very good value for money. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is its inability to remember the time, date etc. You have to keep reminding it of this stuff each time you turn on. Plus, the orange backlit handset isn't very easy to read - you still need a torch to read it properly. But these are the minor niggles of an older gentleman and wouldn't put me off buying the very same 'scope again.

Chest Pull Expander - 5 Rubber Springs *Develops upper back, arms & shoulders*
Chest Pull Expander - 5 Rubber Springs *Develops upper back, arms & shoulders*
Offered by Mammoth XT Supplements
Price: 24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and poor quality, 5 Dec 2012
I was initially wary about something made of plastic and rubber but as it was the only product of its type currently stocked by Amazon I didn't return it right away. It survived my puny tugging for 10 months before one of the rubber hose-like tubes snapped. I personally think it's reasonable to expect something to last more than 12 months of its normal use and I won't be buying an item of this type again unseen, even if Amazon do start to pay their proper taxes. It's shopping locally for me so I can see the quality and take it back if it ain't up to scratch.

Painting with Sound: The Life and Music of Hans-Joachim Roedelius
Painting with Sound: The Life and Music of Hans-Joachim Roedelius
by Stephen Iliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Sketching with words and opinion, 15 Feb 2012
At just over 80 pages of content, I was a tad disappointed by this thin but pretty paperback. Even the album reviews that are included at the end of the volume aren't exactly 'thorough', although I realise that reviewing music, especially in so few words, is a tough job. But it's the story of Roedelius' musical development, his thoughts and philosophies and his own assessment of 'the craft' that remain the most frustratingly untold part of this tale. I don't know why it is but some of the best quotes come from other sources, apparently pasted in to add gravitas. Or so it seems to me on only one reading. Perhaps the book I hoped for would have been too long, too involved for most readers, but this just seems way too sketchy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad I bought the book. It's just that it raises as many questions as it answers. You get the impression that if the author had conducted a few in-depth interviews himself there could have been so much more to glean from this fascinating and important musician, more to learn about the live concerts and how they were approached, maybe some tales from life on the road, thoughtful observations on life, the creative process, that sort of thing. I realise the book doesn't set out to be a musical autobiography and acts more as a general introduction and maybe it's just that I'm old and anal and best ignored. Perhaps, again, this was as much of himself as Achim was willing to reveal, leaving the music, as always, to tell the true tale.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2012 8:44 PM GMT

Spindragons (2011 Remaster)
Spindragons (2011 Remaster)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Improvised Electronic Music, 4 Nov 2011
Easily the best of the Pickford/Nagle releases, Spindragons was taken from a live, improvised concert at the Space Centre in Leicester. Andy's keyboard playing is always a delight but here, given free reign to go in any direction, it's nothing less than sublime. Even Nagle's legendary waywardness is restrained - the dopey old hippy does way fewer stupid things than usual- and even when he heads for a cliff edge with that wild light in his eyes, Andy manages to produce some magic and avert disaster. Ah, brings a tear to this old rheumy eye so it does.

What else to say? Obviously I have very fond memories of this concert, of everything going right, of sequences that just appeared from nowhere, of wild and wacky moments of pure joy, of melody, of a sense of control and of freedom. If you like electronic music at all you would, frankly, be bonkers not to own this. I think that sums it up.

Snow Crash
Snow Crash
by Neal Stephenson

4.0 out of 5 stars Snow Joke, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Snow Crash (Paperback)
Snow Crash starts a little uncomfortably and maybe even a little showy in terms of its style of prose but happily it quickly settles into its stride. Beautifully-paced, well-plotted and full of imagination and thought-provoking ideas, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone. Indeed, it was recommended to me by someone who had read my novel (the Future Art Factory, hint hint) - and it does cover some of the same ground although I have to concede Stephenson does it better.
The action is well-scripted, the characters worthy of interest, the plot wonderful. I think that's enough gushing, I'll be buying more anyway.

Skywatchers Handbook Cd
Skywatchers Handbook Cd

4.0 out of 5 stars A dwarf dipped in sugar, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Skywatchers Handbook Cd (Audio CD)
It's not a long CD but it's darn good stuff that grows on you with each listen. So short and sweet, as per.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars New Boots but no panties, 23 Oct 2010
I was a little nervous buying a pair of boots I hadn't seen but I sorta trust Amazon and Amazon reviews. The size was exactly as specified, they fit great and are very comfy. So far they look and feel absolutely right and I'm maintaining them properly so hopefully they'll last.

Page: 1 | 2